Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Catalytic converter theft

Brendan2

3 hours ago, Catlover said:

So, out of 4 cars in the report mentioned by Wayne, one was an unnamed Honda model, one from a Volvo, and two from Honda CR-V.  As far is I know non of those are Hybrid.

Maybe a different crime syndicate who aren't targeting hybrids? 🤔

Very easy to bring in a new law. Only the dealerships or recognised outlets are allowed to recycle or dispose of cats. This would incorporate providing the car registration. 

Whatever, but it shows not only hybrids are being targeted.  Either way, its still not good, and the powers that be need to get a grip (preferably round the culprits throat).

• Like 1

Sorry Joe but there will be a queue for the throat bit.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Bob110023 said:

Very easy to bring in a new law. Only the dealerships or recognised outlets are allowed to recycle or dispose of cats. This would incorporate providing the car registration. 

The Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013 already requires dealers to be licenced, for them to record details of the sale and seller, and not to pay cash for scrap metals. 

This doesn't prevent thieves from illegally exporting stolen cats to circumnavigate the law.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2020 at 9:39 AM, Wayne2015 said:

Glad you found it useful, Brendan 👍 

I have submitted an FOI request for breakdown by vehicle models for the latest data available from the following Police forces:

01. The Met

02. Nottingham

03. West Yorkshire

Hopefully, we get something back in the next couple of weeks....

Nothing yet 💤

On South Today News this evening a report stated that nine vehicles had catalytic convertors stolen. Police stated it is the same gang targeting carparks etc.  I missed on the news where the thefts happened. (Perhaps a forum member saw this news.)

Does anyone know if any cat thief has been caught and convicted??

Have not heard of any CAT thieves being caught. Police seem unable to trace the gangs. Reports have said they are Rumanian??

On 2/28/2020 at 5:44 AM, Wayne2015 said:

Nothing yet 💤

Got one FoI back

It's very impressive and detail :thumbup: 

But disclaimer, "cannot share without permission" - so have asked for permission...🤔

West Yorkshire Police could not produced figures due to being time-consuming 😞 

I have figures for the Met, but they still not reply to say "ok to go public"

So, if anyone wants the figures, please message me (am sure it's not that confidential) :thumbup:

• Sad 1

The cat thefts are been on decline last two weeks or so, Toyota blog has less activity, maybe is the bad weather or the corona virus or combination of both. 😊🤫. This thing will go away as many other similar thefts has gone in the past. The problem these days is because of the media tech, social networks etc these groups of thieves has exchanged info very fast and spreads around and they can act faster in wider areas plus more single man working are doing it too, they also chat as we do and from one thieve to another information is flying, so if they have been any arrest made, charges done will take affect probably. I think that fiasco should not change people choice to drive and own hybrids. Cat plates, rebadging, and some extra care while parking until the game is over then happy days, no more cats from hybrids. 
Regards 

• Like 1

I have been informed the FoI's are a disclosure, so can shared publically :thumbup:

Attached figures from Met and Notts - very interesting breakdowns (67+ Yaris targetted and I think 1 CH-R, but look at the Auris/Prius figures 😱😞...)...

Data.pdf 0001_FOI RESULTS.XLSX

• Like 2

I am not surprised at the Toyota figures. 

How many criminal gangs have been caught and prosecuted successfully? 

On 3/9/2020 at 3:31 PM, TonyHSD said:

The cat thefts are been on decline last two weeks or so, Toyota blog has less activity, maybe is the bad weather or the corona virus or combination of both. 😊🤫. This thing will go away as many other similar thefts has gone in the past. The problem these days is because of the media tech, social networks etc these groups of thieves has exchanged info very fast and spreads around and they can act faster in wider areas plus more single man working are doing it too, they also chat as we do and from one thieve to another information is flying, so if they have been any arrest made, charges done will take affect probably. I think that fiasco should not change people choice to drive and own hybrids. Cat plates, rebadging, and some extra care while parking until the game is over then happy days, no more cats from hybrids. 
Regards 

Just need the cat thieves to get a cold then the carona virus!

James

• Haha 1

Can't believe how many ways there are to spell prius in that report! 

Shame it does not record the model year, so we could see how many gen2/3/4 there are...

10 hours ago, Chris Dance said:

I am not surprised at the Toyota figures. 

How many criminal gangs have been caught and prosecuted successfully? 

If you look at the West Yorkshire figures (above post) there are CHARGED figures for 2014 :clap: 

But, since 2014 - very little arrests / charges 😞

7 hours ago, RelaxedDrive said:

Can't believe how many ways there are to spell prius in that report! 

Shame it does not record the model year, so we could see how many gen2/3/4 there are...

I know!

These are official Police reports! 🚔 

What is a Yaries? 🤔

I recently ordered a brand new Toyota Camry hybrid in February. A few days ago I wrote to my dealer expressing my concerns over cat theft from my new Camry hybrid when I get the car in June. The response from my dealer was:

'Regarding the Catalytic Converter on your Camry, we have not heard of one being stolen on one of these yet. Its mainly on the Prius model so we hear. Keeping your vehicle in secured and safe parking will drastically reduce the chance of this happening.' - this is not reassuring.

I have paid a £500 deposit for my new Camry and am seriously considering not going ahead with my purchase of nearly £30k for a car that will worry me wherever I park it,for fear the cat may get stolen, including from my own driveway. Thieves just need to look at a car with 'HYBRID' emblazoned on each side  of the car and the blue Toyota Badge to know it's a hybrid model.

Kevin.

Edited by FROSTYBALLS
Shouting removed
  • Sad 1

55 minutes ago, Kevin182 said:

I recently ordered a brand new Toyota Camry hybrid in February. A few days ago I wrote to my dealer expressing my concerns over cat theft from my new Camry hybrid when I get the car in June. The response from my dealer was:

'Regarding the Catalytic Converter on your Camry, we have not heard of one being stolen on one of these yet. Its mainly on the Prius model so we hear. Keeping your vehicle in secured and safe parking will drastically reduce the chance of this happening.' - this is not reassuring.

I have paid a £500 deposit for my new Camry and am seriously considering not going ahead with my purchase of nearly £30k for a car that will worry me wherever I park it,for fear the cat may get stolen, including from my own driveway. Thieves just need to look at a car with 'HYBRID' emblazoned on each side  of the car and the blue Toyota badge to know it's a hybrid model.

Kevin.

What you going to go?🤔

Will, you lose the deposit if you pull out now?🤔

It is difficult to say with any certainty but, quickly doing an internet search for the exhaust details of this car, (there isn't much to see because it is so new), suggests that the exhaust follows the same design theme as the Toyota Yaris hybrid, which so far seems to have avoided attention from the scumbags.

Specifically, it looks like there is a catalyst built-in to the exhaust manifold, which is a good place for it to be from a security point of view, on any car, not just a hybrid.

Without a proper diagram/pictures it is not possible to really judge if this is the only catalyst in the system etc.  And I'm just an ordinary Toyota owner, but the exhaust design looks less vulnerable than the one on a Prius.  If you could find a proper parts catalogue/diagram to look over, then that might throw some light on this.  I couldn't easily find one 'out there', just a solitary line drawing which was not necessarily for your exact car.

A question for a parts person at your Toyota dealer might be: Does the Camry have the catalyst integral to the exhaust manifold?  ('yes' is good).  Does the car have a single catalyst? ('Yes' is good again!).  If the answer to both questions is yes, then the car would probably need to have the bonnet opened to steal the catalyst, taking this type of theft on to a new level of effort that should make it have much less scumbag interest.  But obviously this is an educated guess.

I wouldn't necessarily expect the parts bods to know this off the top of their head - it would be good of them if they could talk you through this on a spares diagram to verify these points.

HTH

• Like 1

Thanks. I've asked the 2 questions of my dealer on cat location and if there's only one cat. If it comes back both yeses then I won't cancel the order as I really like the Camry.

KG.

I've just had confirmation from my Toyota dealer about the catalytic converter in the new Camry hybrid. He says:

'The Cat is integral to the exhaust manifold. It is a single Cat. My Head Tech tells me its well hidden up in the car.'
So, good news.