Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Touch and Go bluetooth disconnect

triller

Hi All

Request

How can I find and install the latest firmware for the multimedia system in our Yaris?

Problem

Our phones don't maintain a reliable bluetooth service to the multimedia system.

They pair successfully and work for a while but then

1. stop playing all sound with any phone apps (e.g. google maps, spotify)
  2. stop relaying audio for phone calls

This happens with two Android 9 phones with the latest available updates. It is not fixed by restarting the phones or the multimedia system.

Multimedia system firmware version is 2.8.5L. 

2013 Yaris 1.33L Dual VVT-i

Actions

1. I've registered and found my vehicle identification number (VIN) (link).
  2. I've added my multimedia system ID and visited the estore.
  3. The only software updates on the estore seem to be for maps. I don't needs maps however.
  4. I've registered here and found technical service bulletins with the keyword bluetooth here.
  5. However when I take these bulletin IDs to the search here no results are returned.

After the system is added by device ID at toyota.co.uk, it is described as "ToyotaTouchGo" which I assume is the same as "Toyota Touch & Go" described elsewhere on toyota.co.uk.

Please attached for a photo of the multimedia system.

Thanks

Alex

IMG_20200203_172054.jpg

iirc it shows as a map update but is actually the firmware update i take it you have unpaired and re-paired the phones on the touch

@flash22 yes we have tried re pairing - thanks for checking and thanks for the info about the map update containing firmware updates also - that's odd!

How does it work with cars and problems like this generally? We are new car owners and purchased the yaris 2nd hand. Its been really good overall.

It does feel odd however to pay £100 for software that should be working, presuming the update will fix it? That's why I was wondering if there was another place to get software fixes. We don't need the up to date maps.

Usually if you have a device with faulty firmware, updates are released by the manufacturer to fix it.

I saw this guide that looks helpful but I'm somewhat unsure exactly what multimedia unit we have. I might try and see if there's more info the diagnostic menu. (Press and hold the MEDIA (might be a ♬) button and while holding it, turn on and off the low beams 3 times in a row. A service menu should appear. Let go of the MEDIA button, source)

Thanks

There was a manual way to update the firmware but that is now built into the dealer software or touch manual

Difficult one the cars head unit is 7 years old and was replaced by Touch 2 in 2014 and was itself launched in 2011 so the functionality/compatibility is dated at best, have you checked if your phones have been tested for compatibility HERE? yes - great,  no - no guarantee they are fully compatible or ever will be. 

Delete pairings on both the phone and car, re-connect the two and on your Android phones wait for 1 or 2 pop ups on the phone asking for permissions/agree or ok. these popups only happen once at pairing and if missed can result in failed connections,drop outs etc.

There are two separate units in your car the head unit ( has very basic bluetooth functionality ) and the Media extension unit ( Nav box which gives improved bluetooth functions ) there are no software updates available for only the head unit there are however software updates available for the Nav box the latest version being 2.20.0L these updates however also contain map updates, under warranty any software fixes would have also included maps albeit at no cost to the owner, out of warranty the only way to update is to buy a map/software update.

You say you have not long had the car? was it purchased from a Toyota dealer, if so get them to look into the issue and perhaps update the software under your extended warranty.

• Like 1

I own a Toyota verso 2012 . It has Touch &Go system and also Sat nav. The sat nav was working perfectly fine I didn't update its maps for a while but it was quite functional with speed camera and traffic alerts .
I also installed glass of water app.

A couple of months ago when I was driving I noticed that main display screen of the Touch and Go system went blank. I suspected the fuse and it was 15AMP one blown out

I replaced the fuse with exact the same specs and Touch and Go system turned ON as usual. I noticed that this time the display was a bit different with different menu style but the radio, CD, phone bluetooth etc were perfectly fine except the Sat Nav and glass of water app. When I press SAT nav key it shows “system not installed”message. Even the system information menu is missing from head unit display. 

Previously there was an option to get the system information downloaded to USB but after this new event no such option is available 

Can any one please advise what might be the cause of this issue and I will appreciate your help to get it fixed please.
Main dealer will be the last resort for me 
thanks

Sounds to me like something pretty terminal has gone wrong with the SatNav unit itself (it's a separate piggy-back unit).

@Devon Aygo

Hi Devon thanks for the detailed reply. 🙂

14 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

Difficult one the cars head unit is 7 years old and was replaced by Touch 2 in 2014 and was itself launched in 2011 so the functionality/compatibility is dated at best, have you checked if your phones have been tested for compatibility HERE? yes - great,  no - no guarantee they are fully compatible or ever will be. 

No I haven't checked for bluetooth compatibility. It looks like we are the Touch & Go from that link, which is a very useful overview of the different units.

Our firmware version (2.8.5L, attached) does not match any of the available firmware listed on the compatibility checker list (attached). I used the nearest versions above and below our version and both said our phones are compatible (Xiaomi Mi A3, attached).

Delete pairings on both the phone and car, re-connect the two and on your Android phones wait for 1 or 2 pop ups on the phone asking for permissions/agree or ok. these popups only happen once at pairing and if missed can result in failed connections,drop outs etc.

There were requests for access to sms messages which we didn't give at the time, because we weren't planning to use the messaging integration. We'll re pair again and allow everything to see if that helps - thanks.

There are two separate units in your car the head unit ( has very basic bluetooth functionality ) and the Media extension unit ( Nav box which gives improved bluetooth functions ) there are no software updates available for only the head unit there are however software updates available for the Nav box the latest version being 2.20.0L these updates however also contain map updates, under warranty any software fixes would have also included maps albeit at no cost to the owner, out of warranty the only way to update is to buy a map/software update.

Ok understood. Its a shame they don't make the bug fixes available separately. 

You say you have not long had the car? was it purchased from a Toyota dealer, if so get them to look into the issue and perhaps update the software under your extended warranty.

We purchased it from a friend - thanks for the suggestion though.

So it looks like a re pair with all ancillary permissions and hope for the best, or pay for the map and software updates. Do they release the software fixes that are with the the map updates in the technical service bulletins?

Thank

image.png

IMG_20200203_151937.jpg

BTSearch.PDF

9 hours ago, mknyer said:

I own a Toyota verso 2012 . It has Touch &Go system and also Sat nav. The sat nav was working perfectly fine I didn't update its maps for a while but it was quite functional with speed camera and traffic alerts .
I also installed glass of water app.

A couple of months ago when I was driving I noticed that main display screen of the Touch and Go system went blank. I suspected the fuse and it was 15AMP one blown out

I replaced the fuse with exact the same specs and Touch and Go system turned ON as usual. I noticed that this time the display was a bit different with different menu style but the radio, CD, phone Bluetooth etc were perfectly fine except the Sat Nav and glass of water app. When I press SAT nav key it shows “system not installed”message. Even the system information menu is missing from head unit display. 

Previously there was an option to get the system information downloaded to USB but after this new event no such option is available 

Can any one please advise what might be the cause of this issue and I will appreciate your help to get it fixed please.
Main dealer will be the last resort for me 
thanks

Hi mknyer 🙂

It doesn't bother me but you may want to start your own separate post for your question, if you haven't already.

Posting a your own question in reply someone else's post is generally considering bad etiquette, although I can't speak for this forum! (Its known as thread hijacking, see here).

Thanks

Mknyer. Please post your own thread as these subjects can get technical

It's a touch system (6 buttons) the touch 2 has 8 buttons and no cd slot

if you have the navigation (the go part) it overrides most of the touch system including the usb and bluetooth

Software updates can be found on their own but install them at you own risk search on google for Toyota swdl.iso

I did a thread on the touch 2 most of it applies to the touch as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

It's a touch system (6 buttons) the touch 2 has 8 buttons and no cd slot

if you have the navigation (the go part) it overrides most of the touch system including the usb and bluetooth

I see - thanks.

Software updates can be found on their own but install them at you own risk search on google for Toyota swdl.iso

I did a thread on the touch 2 most of it applies to the touch as well.

I checked out the thread thanks. The only software and map update I can see online are for 1.74 which is a little older than mine.

You can the latest update (2.20.0 I believe) on eBay for £35. I would not know if they are authorised resellers however, so I won't link to them directly.

There's also the toyota touch and go toolbox. Is this just another means of purchasing and download the map and software updates?

Thanks

Hi all

I added my fingerprint to a formatted USB stick and ran the toyota touch and go toolbox.

The toolbox downloads an swdl.iso from the link below and adds it to the USB stick.

http://distrib.naviextras.com/content/!application/Toyota/SyncTool/20191010_Toyota_synctool.tgz

Its about 26 MB. I insert the USB stick into our car and turn the key to accessory mode and after a minute the an update process initiates.

Then it says no update available or something like that. I am about to try again with a another usb and will update later.

I can see in my "fingerprint" files the correct Version=2.8.5L is detected.

The version downloaded by the toolbox appears to be version=2.20.0WH.

One of the packages listed in the update is bluetooth:2019.W20.R01:Mid_Common.packages.mainproc.harman.bluetooth.trunk so I wonder if that will help.

Does anyone know what the suffixes L and WH on the version numbers are?

Turn it on and go into the hidden service menu you can then insert the USB stick and update it that way

it will not update if its an incorrect or older package the touch can be picky with large USB sticks especially usb3 ones

Turn it on and go into the hidden service menu you can then insert the USB stick and update it that way

it will not update if its an incorrect or older package the touch can be picky with large USB sticks especially usb3 ones

Thanks -

From the side lights service menu > program update, it says to insert disk!

So I might try and burn the swdl.iso to disc?

I'll try a smaller USB stick first. The current stick is formatted to FAT32 16GB.

The attached is what I get when when I wait for the USB stick update process to start via the normal menu interface.

IMG_20200204_190114.jpg

IMG_20200204_190105.jpg

these systems are very secure they will only ingest, what the file system tells it to

I have spent way too much time messing with these systems