Do Not Sell My Personal Information

De Badgeing the "Hybrid HD"

bruce e

Has anyone tried to remove the "Hybrid HD" decal from the boot?

Would welcome best practice tips.

I've only driven a demonstrator, so I can't speak from any experience of removing this Badge on your car.

But, it looks like the Badge is largely the same as as an Auris Badge.  The badge is plastic that has been vacuum chrome plated (or similar), so it can crack if you stress it (if you were thinking of ever putting it back on).  And your tailgate is an large plastic moulding, too.

I would definitely wash the car boot first, and probably clean around the badge with an old toothbrush to remove any grit that has collected there.

Given the newness of the car I would use a length of fishing line, held between your hands and used like a cheesecutter to slowly slice the adhesive tape that secures the badge.  I don't think you'll find that using a heat gun to assist will help the adhesive to come off intact - at least half will stay on the boot lid, so I wouldn't bother with it.

This will leave behind a glue/tape residue that almost perfectly matches the badge.  The residue, as mentioned in other recent posts, will come off with 'Tar Remover', or WD40, and some elbow grease with a clean soft cloth or paper wipe.  This will take longer than you might think, it's quite tenacious.  If you have access to some isopropanol alcohol (from a chemist or even Amazon - it has loads of other uses), then this will remove the residue, still with a cloth, more easily.  The isopropanol will dry your skin out though, so gloves are a good idea.

If you decide to stick it back on, then 3M VHB tape is very similar to the original adhesive used.  This is double-sided, grey foam tape.  It comes in rolls of different foam thicknesses (1mm for this?), and needs cutting to the badge shape, obviously.  It is quite expensive, but is available off Amazon etc.  You might find other uses for this as well.  VHB stands for 'very high bond', I think I read somewhere.

HTH 

• Like 1

Thanks, sounds like good solid advice!

Is this to avoid Cat theft? All new Corollas are Hybrid so it's not much of a deterrent...

10 minutes ago, MagicBoy said:

All new Corollas are Hybrid so it's not much of a deterrent...

Not quite. In the UK the 2020 range is hybrid only. The 1.2T was part of the 2019 range.

Petrol engined versions are still available in other countries (eg Germany).

As I said - "new". As in 2020.  I've not yet seen a non-hybrid one on the roads of any year.

2 minutes ago, MagicBoy said:

As I said "new" As in 2020.  I've not yet seen a non-hybrid one on the roads.

..but as stated, other countries still have petrol engined versions in their 2020 range (and we have members in some of those countries). The OP has a 2019 Corolla which came in both versions.

Thieves are looking for Toyota Prius cars or other Toyota’s with badges Hybrid , it doesn’t matter really if there are any or not produced if the car has a Badge and they spotted will target it. Removing all hybrid badges and Toyota blue emblem are better solutions than installing a cat lock, just makes the car less attractive at first sight. It is a matter of time thieves will start cutting cats from new Corollas, I believe they are same as Prius gen 4 underneath. Toyota should start offering the extras: hybrid Badge delete as another precaution against the plaque. 

30 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Thieves are looking for Toyota Prius cars or other Toyota’s with badges Hybrid , it doesn’t matter really if there are any or not produced if the car has a badge and they spotted will target it. Removing all hybrid badges and Toyota blue emblem are better solutions than installing a cat lock, just makes the car less attractive at first sight. It is a matter of time thieves will start cutting cats from new Corollas, I believe they are same as Prius gen 4 underneath. Toyota should start offering the extras: hybrid badge delete as another precaution against the plaque. 

Just got called by my Toyota dealership asking me if I'm interested in trading my Auris Hybrid for a Corolla Hybrid, saying that the Corolla Catalytic converter was moved to underneath the bonnet rather than underside of the car. Unsure if this is true or not, would be good if anyone could confirm? 

I am not 100% sure but I don’t believe that, if it comes from the sales person omg, most of them don’t know anything about cars, they do not know simple things that they should have known even as a drivers only not ppl that sells cars. Both Corolla 1.8 and 2.0 has front intake manifold and rear exhaust manifold to whom Catalytic converter is fitted. It is under the car same as Prius gen 4 and similar to the previous models like yours. If you buy a Corolla 1.8 you may need that plate just in case . https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F283661401217

Picture 1: 2.0 hybrid 

picture 2: 1.8 hybrid 

picture 3: Gen 4 cat plate 

picture 4: 2.0 underneath, 

B5AAA6A4-9911-4771-9771-131B9039F504.jpeg

AABB8A45-EB5A-47B7-9CCB-C97131EF258E.jpeg

397B77BB-A418-4CB2-8E03-FB8FC7DE197E.png

6130347E-A6A0-4B49-A390-B8A9997C9760.png
That guy has great car reviews, if you don’t want to watch full review please skip to 10 min then he start inspecting underneath. 
enjoy  

👍

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Techead said:

would be good if anyone could confirm?

This is the new Corolla underbody.  On an Auris you would have to use a torch and stand directly underneath to see the cat properly - the cat would be slightly obscured by the large crescent-shaped piece of aluminium heat shield.  But of the bits you can see on this Corolla, it is very similar indeed.

IMG_20180913_104126342_HDR.thumb.jpg.a66ccbea78bd87023946aef4d027995a.jpg

IMG_20180913_104121903.thumb.jpg.692ad3604f8756f4aa38f7360ae7fc38.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Gerg said:

This is the new Corolla underbody.  On an Auris you would have to use a torch and stand directly underneath to see the cat properly - the cat would be slightly obscured by the large crescent-shaped piece of aluminium heat shield.  But of the bits you can see on this Corolla, it is very similar indeed.

IMG_20180913_104126342_HDR.thumb.jpg.a66ccbea78bd87023946aef4d027995a.jpg

IMG_20180913_104121903.thumb.jpg.692ad3604f8756f4aa38f7360ae7fc38.jpg

IMG_20180913_104132092.jpg

So the sells man was chatting bull as per usual then! 

Though I haven't heard any cases of Corolla Hybrids Cat's being stolen (though perhaps I haven't been following as I don't have one!)

The cat. lives where the arrow is pointing.  The question is - how far up?!

IMG_20180913_104126342_HDRa.thumb.jpg.ae8e6f864cec6b1d4408d22d5ea2a893.jpg

This is a  photo of the same area of an Auris (aluminium heat shield slightly detached on this one).

P1130185.thumb.JPG.5c7a1acd8f8484862fa768f219da1ae7.JPG

The trouble is that the only a Toyota technician could confirm what the salesman is saying, unless the Corolla was on a vehicle lift!

Also, the 2.0 has a different exhaust system to the 1.8, (this picture is of a 1.8)  He may be correct about the 2.0 - it has a PPF installed (petrol particulate filter), so it would be different to the 1.8 anyway.

The problems with hybrids is that the cat is easily accessible under the car, they use extension bar and electric impact driver, super easy to undo the bracket bolts that holding the cat to the exhaust, that is the problem. The cat security plate prevent easy access but they can remove or cut it, if they have enough time. The sales man was talking nonsense as usual. Both 1.8 and 2.0 can be done in no time, they only have larger aluminium cross member that is secured with 4 standard bolts. And the silencer like larger item is most likely the ppf that all Toyota hybrids has it since 2010. They usually get them both. The new Corollas are basically same as Prius gen 4, no matter what engine is fitted in, only 1.2t isn’t a target as is completely different engine set up. 

3 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Thieves are looking for Toyota Prius cars or other Toyota’s with badges Hybrid , it doesn’t matter really if there are any or not produced if the car has a badge and they spotted will target it. Removing all hybrid badges and Toyota blue emblem are better solutions than installing a cat lock, j

NEVER remove the front badge/emblem, the one on the grille, it forms part of the lidar/pre collision system 👍

• Like 1

Just being pedantic its not Hybrid HD its actually Hybrid SD - SD stands for Synergy Drive

I De-badged the Yaris this afternoon a plastic squeegee (3m used for vinyl) and a stripe removal wheel aka toffee wheel makes short work of the job with no back breaking rubbing or chemicals

• Like 1

I mean all blue badges without front one where radar is build in, for older cars before 2015 including front one for peace of mind. Tinted windows are  also a good idea, extra privacy no need easily to look inside. The Corolla here is beneficial because all auto variations has same gear shift. The whole point of debadgeing is to make the car unattractive for thieves and let them look for another one. They will soon find out about that trick and will start doing better checks, number plates perhaps, but we can also copy and make some cloned numbers to attach when car is parked. They find ways but we will too. Please don’t say it’s illegal because stealing people’s cats is also illegal. 

I've de badged mine. Just need fishing wire and some sticky glue remover. It may also require a polish and buff after.

20190914_135320.jpg

• Like 2

Did you do the side wing badges too?

Cool, remember to remove the blue background on the rear emblem, will make it look like 1.2T. 

Nope I left the side ones on. Done it as it looks much nicer and cleaner from the rear.

Did mine today. The car is going to be sat in an airport car park for a week. It's a multi-storey and claims to be secure but it seemed prudent. I only did the rear Badge and it took about five minutes to remove the Badge then fifteen minutes to remove the glue.

I used dental floss so not only was it quick but now the car is minty fresh 🙂

Apparently “GooGone”. Available from Amazon removes the goo effectively.

A black felt tipped marker pen both broad and fine nib is useful for hiding the blue edging in the logo Badge

• Like 2