Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Radiator replacement

Robert81

Hi everyone,

Has anybody replaced the radiator on a T27 Avensis - Petrol? Been quoted £560 by Toyota.

Looks fairly straight forward but not sure about the aircon radiotor on top and potentially electrical issues after disconnecting the Battery (keyless entry etc.).

Thanks in advance for your input.

I wouldn't worry about disconnecting the Battery affecting the keyless entry. There are plenty of times when the Battery has to be disconnected, and unless there are any documented issues, you should not need to be concerned.
The air-con radiator is separate from the cooling radiator. I did change my Mk1 T22 radiator a few years back, plus on the cars. It's just the extra cover needs to be removed. 
You will be making some good savings sourcing and replacing it yourself. Make sure you replace with good quality coolant like Toyota's long life!   

Thanks for the input.
I think the Battery needs to completely come out to gain access to the lower hose, which just sits underneath it 😞
It only worries me when toyota tells you in the manual that the car might not start after disconnecting the Battery (with keyless entry) and some procedure needs to be carried out to "restart" the system.

I have had a quote from an independent garage but I don't really like when they tell you that they will put what they get supplied in terms of coolant etc. hence looking at options to do it myself. New Denso radiator is around £140, plus maybe £50 for genuine pink coolant. Just the amount of work that puts me off.

and the air-con radiator...will lit move forward a bit to enable to remove and lift the engine radiator out? Or it is a drain the re-refrigerant job to disconnect aircon and remove both radiators?

So many doubts and questions...:)

Hoping to have a proper look when the weather gets a bit nicer. 

I know with the petrol engine at least, the ECU will relearn the settings. Another option is to disconnect the Battery and remove, get to the area to work on, then reconnect the Battery temporarily while working in another area. Then disconnect and reconnect when completing the work. 

You could try a Battery saver. You can get them pretty cheap on eBay for the type you use with another car Battery, or a bit more expensive for the mains powered type.

Both good ideas worth considering.

Gone are the days of simple cars where most things were straight forward...will keep you posted when done, if I take the challenge on 🙂