Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Will the Corolla be available as PHEV in Europe / UK?

Nicolai

Hi all,

I'm sure I read somewhere that it will, however, no one in the Danish "Toyota Hybrids" Facebook forum has heard anything about it  (and keeps saying: That's the RAV4 and the CHR). I'd love the RAV4 PHEV due to easier in and out but it'll be out of my price range, the Prius PHEV is out due to the small boot and the regular Prius is no longer sold in Denmark.

Am I way off here?

Ahead of the Beijing Auto Show this week, Toyota announced that it will create an electric plug-in hybrid (PHEV) version of the Corolla for the Chinese market. While the automaker’s announcement appears to limit the vehicle’s availability to China for now, it does open the door for a possible global launch of a PHEV version of Toyota’s flagship midsize sedan.

The automaker didn’t reveal much about the new drivetrain other than it has been developed through their partnership with Chinese manufacturers – hence why it is being launched in China.

If that comes to the UK in three year's time I now know what my next car will be :)

53 minutes ago, AndrueC said:

If that comes to the UK in three year's time I now know what my next car will be 🙂

What do you prefer on the PHEV? I always view them as a company car tax dodge.

2 hours ago, rafletcher said:

What do you prefer on the PHEV? I always view them as a company car tax dodge.

It's just part of a logical step toward an all electric future. I hope my Dad will still be alive at that point so I'll still need something capable of long distance travel which is where the petrol aspect comes in. It's also possible that a PHEV would be better suited to my mostly extra-urban commute. If the Battery can be topped up at home the ICE will have far less need to charge the Battery during the commute. At present my Corolla seems to always be charging the Battery when the ICE is on. As others have noted there seems to be something about 50 mph which doesn't quite suit Toyota's HSD.

On 2/7/2020 at 7:21 AM, Nicolai said:

Hi all,

I'm sure I read somewhere that it will, however, no one in the Danish "Toyota Hybrids" Facebook forum has heard anything about it  (and keeps saying: That's the RAV4 and the CHR). I'd love the RAV4 PHEV due to easier in and out but it'll be out of my price range, the Prius PHEV is out due to the small boot and the regular Prius is no longer sold in Denmark.

Am I way off here?

Found some, hopefully usefull, info. here

https://www.carrushome.com/en/toyota-debuts-corolla-phev-with-31-miles-of-electric-range-bev-c-hr-suv-coming/

https://insideevs.com/tag/toyota-corolla-phev/

Just in China for now, though

I always envisaged that my next car will be full EV. I have a 42 month contract, and thought that by the time that ends, and I am deciding whether to settle the remaining balance, or go for a new car, that new car would be a Toyota EV with minimum 300 range, and many more charging points throughout the UK.

When I bought Hybrid, I always thought it would be a stop gap on the way to full EV. But it seems Toyota are fairly slow to embrace full EV, which puzzles me, as all indications are that consumers will be embracing EV once "range fear" is dealt with. 2035 in UK, no more new Hybrid or ICE only sales, it's not long, yet Toyota have a few EV "scooters"and micro cars being launched for the Japan Olympics.

I wonder if Toyota are being left behind? Hybrids are great, but they are only a stop gap. Will my next car be a Toyota if other makers are romping away with many more  EV options......

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links