Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Which used Yaris "auto" (c. 2011/12)

2005TSpirit

I'm considering to purchase a used petrol-engined Yaris as a second vehicle, mainly for commuting with occasional longer journeys. It seems that model year 2011 spans two models so will be interested to hear your thoughts on which version is preferable. I noted from an earlier thread that the multimode (CVT?) auto box is preferable to the MMT (which should be avoided according to some). Main concerns are reliability, operating cost, and emissions. Anything in particular to look out for?

The Multi Mode Transmission (MMT) in the second generation Yaris is a manual transmission with automated clutch. The third generation Yaris which was first introduced in 2011 has the CVT. The CVT would probably be more reliable than the MMT.

I wouldn't advise the MMT (Multi Mode), terrible transmission. As FB has written, it is a manual gearbox with automated clutch operation and gearchanges. Little electric motors and controlled by a really brainless computer!

The non Hybrids do have a CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission) which Toyota label Multidrive. Don't confuse Multidrive with Multimode whatever you do. They are worlds apart. Like the MMT, the Multidrive may be operated manually by either the select lever or steering column "paddles" or not, as desired.

I've owned both. My current Multidrive (CVT) Yaris has been no problem so far.

If you like an easy life go with the mk3/gen3 cvt cars the MMT is not a good gearbox they get expensive when they go wrong and/or need a clutch

If you want to buy a Yaris with automatic transmission, go for a Hybrid. It has an automatic transmission without the drawbacks. Toyota launched the Yaris Hybrid 2012, and at least in Germany, more than 50 percent of all recently sold Yaris are Hybrids, so the used car market offers plenty of occasions.

Best regards from Bavaria
Frank

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links