Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris 1.4 d4d vs 1.3 vvti

doctormk

I'm looking to buy mk2 Yaris and want to know what are the common faults/issues with this generation. Currently own a 2001 mk1 1.3 vvti 5-door with 110k miles which served me quite good over the 12 years of ownership.

Cheers

Stick with the petrol, anything Diesel after late 2009 has a dpf - they do not like short runs or too much town driving, cost are marginal you will only see a benefit of a diesel if you're doing 18k+ miles a year

They can suffer with underbody rust but this can be easily seen with a look underside.

I've got a 2006 model 1.3 VVTi Mk2 Yaris, had it now 4 years. Issues I've had and have ongoing is a very noisy and squeeky serpentine belt drive when engine is cold, and new belts have not sorted it. Also clutches are finicky and dont always disengage the drive fully leading to crunchy gear changes, especially getting into reverse from neutral, and into first from neutral.

Another issue is the Mk2 suffers from severe fogging of the headlight plastic which starts from the top of the lens and gradually moves down to cover more of it - requires attention with headlight cleaner, but this doesn't work 100% and they need doing again regularly or they will either fail the MOT of get an advisory.

I have squeeks and creaks from the carpet under drivers pedals, caused by plastic material under carpet rubbing on bodywork and squeeking, which is very annoying.

Exhaust must be watched if blowing as the backbox is not supported at the front, and if it breaks off the pipe like mine did, they drag on the road and get wrenched off with the rubber hanger breaking, to go under the car behind, a bad design as the exhausts usually fail at the joint at the front of the backbox to the mid pipe.

Another common issue is water pump failure after 60K miles, and there is no temp gauge so if you dont see the red warning light for overheat, the engine could be ruined.

MMT semi auto gearboxes are unreliable and prone to failure meaning expensive repairs, so steer clear of them.

Suspension bushes get squeeky and creaky, which plagues my own car.

The Mk2 is not as good as the Mk1 1.0 CDX that I had before, although that also had issues with fogging of the headlight lenses.

Bear in mind that the second generation Yaris had two 1.3 engines during its lifetime - the 1.3Vvti until late 2008, and the 1.33 Dual Vvti from approx November 2008. Which of the two are you considering?

• 2 weeks later...

Look for the later 1.33 Petrols. These are better built than the MY2006-2008
So far in 10 years of ownership and 120k miles the only thing needed fixing was the passenger lock that ceased due to heavy handed kid.

The car burns some oil between services but no more than a litre per year which is ok for high milage daily use.

No under body rust on my example and the only wash she gets underneath is rain and puddles.

The headlights on the MY2009+ seems not to develop the plastic fogging affecting previous models.

The 1NF-E motor with the six speed manual is fairly strong with 100bhp which is good for such small and short vehicle. Can easily get you out of trouble and not too dull when cornering.

I personally never had a more trouble free motor before so buy with confidence.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links