Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Was your Auris Catalytic Converter stolen?

Wayne2015

Catalytic Converter Stolen: Which Gen/Version?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Which Generation?

• Gen1 (up to 2012)
    • Gen2 (from 2013)
    • Gen3 (out yet?)
  2. 2. Which Version?

• Hybrid
    • Petrol only (including 1.2t)
    • Diesel only

Robin,  There are used cats for sale on eBay for £360 and upwards, presume off crashed cars.                                
Remember, if used cat comes off a Toyota hybrid say with 80k on the clock, the cat has only been used for say 40k, rest of the miles the car likely to be on electric so nothing passing through the cat.

• Like 1

Cheers Joe, it’s in the hands of the insurers now. My car has only 5k on the clock so some scumbag has basically got a new one. If it happens again I’ll swop for a Yaris due out Sept. where the cat is in the engine bay. What a pisser.

• Sad 1

On 3/14/2020 at 8:39 AM, monya said:

Cheers Joe, it’s in the hands of the insurers now. My car has only 5k on the clock so some scumbag has basically got a new one. If it happens again I’ll swop for a Yaris due out Sept. where the cat is in the engine bay. What a pisser.

Sorry to hear, bud

Mine Auris was targetted last summer, back then it took SIX weeks to ship from Japan the parts 😱 

Now, my car is written off, I too have gone for a Yaris Hybrid (but a much older one 😅)

Just be very careful when you get your Auris back with new 'cat' + 'catlock' as online already noted they both get nicked (again) 😱 

https://blog.toyota.co.uk/catalytic-converter-theft-how-to-protect-your-car

Auris recovered today. I’m told by driver that a plate can be fitted that covers the whole of the exhaust unlike the catlock. Does anyone know of this?

A Catloc for the Auris will look something very similar to this:-

1521732870_IMG_0081-after01.jpg.c7a08baadfb773cf851d670ea8cc6f0e.thumb.jpg.0986e0f23f545d5701f39f7f9436b02b.jpg

There are much cheaper plates available - £30 plus £12 delivery - that look like this:-

4F07EB42-FCAE-4771-AD9C-19327F4A09FF.jpeg.7f328b953ab3890e97f445989d2ca7dd.thumb.jpeg.af05259e7bac2e155bc9fd1cec504d05.jpeg

I don't think there is anything to be gained by covering more of the exhaust, it is just the one part that gets stolen.  Although having said that, the thieves usually remove the silencer/resonator that is further along  the exhaust as well as the catalyst unit itself for convenience and speed of removal.

• Like 1

Some light at the end of the tunnel - Rhodium price has collapsed : 

• Like 1

Might take a few weeks before the thieves hear about it ...:laughing:

Sadly with the lockdown, they will be thinking it’s Christmas. Just glad the cars on either side of me are going at the same time as me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Anthony Poli said:

Sadly with the lockdown, they will be thinking it’s Christmas. Just glad the cars on either side of me are going at the same time as me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eh?

Anyway, how u holding up, Ant? :driving:

I’m good thanks, how are you?

did you make a decision about which car?

I am like WILL SMITH in the film LEGEND !:starwars: 

Anyway, new car here! :driving: 

• 3 months later...

And of course my catalytic converter has been cut and stolen, just from my driveway and I don't even know when. I've just spoken to my local Toyota dealer - they say it would be £1600 total and they have 2 months of the backlog at the moment.

My good friend, he has a car garage, quoted me for the parts around £800.

I'm now considering if I should call my car insurance company, have the premium increased, wait for ages... or go with buying the parts on my own together with a proper catloc done by the friend.

I would like to ask you all if you know which parts exactly would be needed - I haven't raised my car on the jack yet but I saw they'd only cut the cat part of the exhaust pipe. I found the cat converters for around £350 - is it true I would also need some other two sensors that would cost £200 each?

I'd be grateful for you sharing some advise and your experiences with fixing that.

Sorry to hear you have been a victim.

I'd phone a different Toyota dealer. The price seems very high. I hope they are stating worst case and cheaper when viewing the damage. Toyota quote £950 for Auris, depending if other damage.

Should be around £1,250 from what others have paid. Don't bother with the Toyota Catlock. Reports that it's easily cut off.

Post it in this topic. https://blog.toyota.co.uk/catalytic-converter-theft-how-to-protect-your-car You'll get the usual message, but hopefully a better price on repair.

Good luck.

James.