Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Floods and Auris

Auris James

I have a 2015 auris hybrid and was wondering what the max depth of water you can drive through? On my 1996 Volvo 940 2.3 petro I go up to the door cills and have never had a problem in my automatic.

How low are the hybrid batteries and air filter inlet? I believe batteries are under rear seats. Deep sounds a bad idea as if in EV mode water could enter exhaust if water too deep.

James.

Hi James, 

you can literally float through deep water without problems as long as you keep air intake dry, and best slowly in ev mode. There are videos in YouTube crazy Russians driving Prius gen 3 through rivers and lakes where usually “Uaz and Kamaz “ goes, those are heavy duty local made off roaders and trucks 😉, however engine hydrolock it’s not the only issue you will have. I don’t recommend you going through water deeper than 15cm or 7-8”, water needs to be max 1/3 of the full size of the tyres, the most vulnerable things are your wheel bearings, they are not designed to work under water and despite are well sealed water will get inside if they are submerged, consequences are premature wear and failure., plus water may well goes into your boot through the air vents that you have behind rear bumper. Water is not a good friend with the cars especially the winter salty cocktails that we get here in UK , they really help the cars get rusty as hell, I don’t think anyone needs more than that. Brakes , suspension, ball joints and anything that has a lubrications is at risk, plus going through deep waters you will get water inside your transmission where the damper clutch is, you don’t need that. While you crossing waters once you feel water is touching footwell under you feet that’s it , no need to go deeper if you want to stay on the safe side and has no trouble with you car in long term. 
Regards 

• Thanks 1

Hi Tony HSD,

thanks for your reply. I wont be going through anything too deep as I want to keep the car long term. I don't want to damage it. Think 8 inches deep is plenty as my most expensive car!

My 1996 Volvo 940 auto cost me £250 3 years ago and is still totally reliable workhorse at 202,000 miles. Also had a 1989 240GLT estate auto for 10 years as my only car. Sold last year for £500 with 237,000 miles and for more than I bought it for in 2009 and put 76,000 on myself.

I have always liked Toyota/Lexus and the rear wheel drive Volvo 2,7,9 series.

James.

• Like 1

my advice is if it looks deep then dont try going through

its not worth the risk of replacing the engine .

i have locked an engine in the past with water i was very lucky

as it didnt do any damage probably the fact i was driving slowly

and my car at the time was diesel so the engine parts are stronger

after it dried out (3hrs later) it turned off the key and started

i just had to flush the engine and change the oil & filter.

• Thanks 1