Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Find Me An Auris Hybrid! Too! Maybe not...

Wayne2015

I was here about 5 years ago, looking for a specific "Toyota Auris Hybrid" with:

01. T-Spirit trim

02. Pearl White

03. 17" alloys

04. Tinted Rear Windows

05. Sat Nav

06. Folding Electric Wing Mirrors

ย 

I found it! ๐Ÿ™‚

Now, I need a replacement...๐Ÿš—

I am torn between leaving the Toyota brand completely, and compromising in getting a PETROL Toyota Auris 1.2t - this is massively influenced by thefts of catalytic converters (which my own car was also a victim of)...

ย 

I have already taken note and kind advice from members here (more so from TonyHSD ๐Ÿ‘)

But, as it comes to crunch time (to decide), like some feedback on my choices of replacement

ย 

My first choice was:

01. Gen3 Toyota Prius, which I actually did find a Pearl White, SatNav etc - but cannot risk the 'cat' again ๐Ÿ˜ž

ย 

Second choice:

02. Toyota Yaris Hybrid, though not much seem targetted yet ref 'cat', but I heard some have already - but cannot risk again since a Hybrid (easy target)

ย 

Third choice:

03. Toyota Auris 1.2t - petrol, auto, satnav - a compromise really, but since look the same as the Hybrid, will the 'cat' been targetted accidentally?

ย 

ย 

Screenshot_20200210-074229.png

My other choices:

All petrol, manual (to reduce risk of issues with DSG and diesel boxes) with satnav:

ย 

ย 

Screenshot_20200210-073304.png

Screenshot_20200210-073343.png

Do love the Superb, but a DSG Dieselย ๐Ÿ™„ย 

ย 

ย 

Screenshot_20200210-072951.png

Screenshot_20200210-074626.png

Dilemma:๐Ÿค”

If you had ยฃ12k, annual commute of 20,000 miles, like a reliable yet affordable to commute car...

01. What are the pro/con of each car ?

ย 

02. Which one 'nicer' to enjoy on long commute ?

ย 

03. Which one to go for reliability ?

ย 

04. Which one maintenance affordabilityย  (I only buy ore-Apr2017 to keep tax low) ?

ย 

05. Which one best compromise ?

ย 

06. Anything else, I missed ?

I remember 5 years ago when you bought yours at the sameย time we had our first Auris hsd too. Owning and enjoying aย Toyota hybrid for a long time takes its tool and choosing a different car may be more difficult than you think unless itโ€™s another Toyota Lexus hybridย or full EV. , any other type of auto gearbox behave very different and mayย not put the smile back on your face again. Cvt transmissions in general behave closest to Toyota ecvt for relaxed driving, but they are not as reliable as is the ecvt. Toyota ones perhaps are one of the good ones. It is a tough decision to choose a new car and maybe best is to test drive first other autos like dsg, cvt, conventional auto and see how you like and which one then you may shorten your list and make easier decision. If you decide to go dsg or manual vag cars are really good. Vw has a very interesting engine 1.4 petrol mounted with manual 6 speed or 7 speed auto dsg. The engine has โ€œactive cylinders โ€œ technology that switches OFFย 2 of its 4 cylinders in cruising speeds in ideal situations and helps economy and reduceย emissions. They have it in golf , Jetta which is a car that worth looking at or Passat . I personally never driven one of those but I am considering if anything wrong goes with my auris and non hybrid replacement needed. I donโ€™t want to make your choice even more difficult, just an idea. Toyota auris 1.2 T cvt or manual is also a good choice. It is a hassle process but you need to test drive the cars that you give as examples.ย 

Wish you good luck Wayne ๐Ÿ‘

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cheers Tony

Ahhh, we go back a long way then (even though I am not so active on here)

ย 

Showing my age now,

ย - I did love my old MK4 Golf V5 auto (petrol)

ย - And the MK2 Skoda Superb DSG (TDI)

ย - The most fun was the Mk1 Focus manual (TDI)

ย - As was the Mk1 BMW 120 auto (TDI)

ย 

But, as I aged ๐Ÿ˜ž , things are no longer the same. I freak out at the sound of snow on roads, I panic when my car is near its warranty expiration date, a twitch in my auris when I break over metal covers on road just sends a bolt down my spine - eeek!ย ๐Ÿ˜ฒย 

ย 

I really want another Toyota Hybrid, but it's just too risky in the current climate. I think I just need a reluable run-about for my 20,000 annual commute, then I be back buying the Toyota CH-R in a couple of years time when they are cheaper and 'cat' theft is back to norm of single digits a year

ย 

We shall see what I get, and god forbid, be reporting on here how bad and costly the new car is in a couple of months time - and when 'cat' theft are almost non-existent due to new legislation/enforcement and I then wished I stick it out and stuck with. Toyota Hybrid ....hmmm๐Ÿค”

• Like 1

I was looking around like yourself a few months back.

I considered a skoda Octavia 1.4 petrol DSG as relative had a 2007 L&K Octavia diesel manual they owned for 11 years and changed at 130k for a late 2019 Octavia L&K DSG. Only issue in my price range the Octavia was just the same price as a 2015-17 plate Auris Hybrid and a basic spec.ย Budget at 12-15k

I read about the DSG troubles and thought Toyota would be more reliable overall.

The other thing I wanted was a reversing camera. Most skodaย models don't come with one unless you buy the L&K model but well out my budget.

So I bought an Auris Hybrid 2015 Icon plus in blue with extra 3 year warranty and 3 year service pack. I have fitted a cat cover and wouldn't claim if cat stolen. I went for the Auris as wanted a hassle free drive, reliable and auto to waft along like my 1996 Volvo 940 petrol with 202.000 miles.

James.

ย 

Toyota 1.png

toyota 2.png

Toyota 3.png

Toyota4.png

• Like 2

I was looking around like yourself a few months back.
I considered a skoda Octavia 1.4 petrol DSG as relative had a 2007 L&K Octavia diesel manual they owned for 11 years and changed at 130k for a late 2019 Octavia L&K DSG. Only issue in my price range the Octavia was just the same price as a 2015-17 plate Auris Hybrid and a basic spec.ย Budget at 12-15k
I read about the DSG troubles and thought Toyota would be more reliable overall.
The other thing I wanted was a reversing camera. Most skodaย models don't come with one unless you buy the L&K model but well out my budget.
So I bought an Auris Hybrid 2015 Icon plus in blue with extra 3 year warranty and 3 year service pack. I have fitted a cat cover and wouldn't claim if cat stolen. I went for the Auris as wanted a hassle free drive, reliable and auto to waft along like my 1996 Volvo 940 petrol with 202.000 miles.
James.
ย 
187084617_Toyota1.png.5be3b129c9ad0d6cb8c280f4a3d77c6a.png
913492875_toyota2.png.084b5eaf6a80a0c2e2dc19346dcf65dc.png
406360513_Toyota3.png.bc72acc30a5987d15cc5d160073b2f07.png
Toyota4.png.f2e5273727d7d1a15649ff87c7f029fd.png

Thinking about the cat cover for my TS same year as your but the business edition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, Anthony Poli said:

ย 

ย 

Thinking about the cat cover for my TS same year as your but the business edition.

ย 

I would go for it. Mine off eBay. Much cheaper in Toyotas words than their official catloc.

The seller accepted ยฃ28 plus postage.ย https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Auris-Estate-2013-Catalytic-Converter-Anti-Theft-Protection-Cover-Shield/283676952374?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

There may be a cheaper price online?

James.

• Like 1

I am sure, Ant can make his own in his hi-tech private workshop of his!ย ๐Ÿ˜‰ย 

ย 

When you do, Ant, remember commissions for James (for his pointer), cut for TOC (for the selling platform) and a free beer for me (because I am not heavy, I am your brother)ย ๐Ÿบ๐Ÿคฃ

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Auris James said:

I would go for it. Mine off Ebay. Much cheaper in Toyotas words than their official catloc.

The seller accepted ยฃ28 plus postage.ย https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Auris-Estate-2013-Catalytic-Converter-Anti-Theft-Protection-Cover-Shield/283676952374?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

There may be a cheaper price online?

James.

Who did you get to fit it?
ย 

24 minutes ago, Wayne2015 said:

I am sure, Ant can make his own in his hi-tech private workshop of his!ย ๐Ÿ˜‰ย 

ย 

When you do, Ant, remember commissions for James (for his pointer), cut for TOC (for the selling platform) and a free beer for me (because I am not heavy, I am your brother)ย ๐Ÿบ๐Ÿคฃ

I wish lol

Built the bike batteries at work, used cells that were classed as past it lol

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Anthony Poli said:

Who did you get to fit it?
ย 

My Local garage. cost me ยฃ17 in labour. When fitted rattled.ย Went back a few days later and they adjusted it. Totally quiet now.

James.

Just now, Auris James said:

My Local garage. cost me ยฃ17 in labour. When fitted rattled.ย Went back a few days later and they adjusted it. Totally quiet now.

James.

Thanks Iโ€™ll sort it out ASAPย 

• Like 1

Right,

After numerous research online my no.1 choice (for now) is:

Toyota Yaris Hybridย :driving:ย 

ย 

But, must haves are:

01. Pre-April 2017 (FREE-Tax)

02. MK3 Yaris (โŒย marks the face!)

03. Sat Nav

04. Panoramic Roof

05. Convenience Pack (folding electric wing mirrors)

06. Right colourย ๐Ÿค”ย 

ย 

Preferables:

07. Part/leather

08. TSS (Toyota Safety Sense)

09. Design/Bi-Tone version (machined alloys!)

10. Low mileage!

ย 

All for ยฃ10kย ๐Ÿ’ฐย 

(Not asking much am I)ย ๐Ÿ˜…ย 

ย 

• Like 2

I and the wife had a Yaris each, 58 and 59 plate diesels, and loved them, especially the 59 plate as it was 6 gears.ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย 

I have said when I get to the point when i having trouble getting in or out of the Prius then I would go for a Yaris Hybrid, and it would be much on the line of what you looking at Wayne, but of course it will be in a few years (hopefully more) so the Yaris model will have moved on and therefore be paying road tax. So nice choice Wayne, if you stick with it.

Only difference is I dont mind no sat nav. Dont know how much a map update is in the Yaris but my Gen3 Prius was couple hundred quid and its said to be out of date by the time it gets released, so I can live with Waze or something on my mobile.

• Like 2

I got to have SatNav - just so much easier and less phaffing around with stick-on mobile maps and dodgy laws around using mobile devices in the car on the go!

ย 

I agree ref pricey for upgrades + out of date

I upgraded my auris maps for about ยฃ200 in April 2018...and the upgrade were maps from Mar 2017?????!!!ย ๐Ÿ˜กย 

ย 

If only Toyota had Google maps with built-in wi-fiย ๐Ÿ™ย 

IMO I would not get a built in sat nav for a few reasons:

1.Expensive

2.The screen position isn't ideal and can be a hazard when looking at it.ย 

I use a Garmin standalone and place itย  on the windscreen, it's so much easier to see and safer.ย 

ย 

• Like 1

Each to their own then!ย ๐Ÿ˜…ย 

ย 

Still aiming for a hybrid Lexus/Auris in the near future then?

I could live without the pan roof, plus lots of people complaining about the tss. Auto wipers and lights donโ€™t always behave either.
Not missing them with this car.

The Yaris we had, the seats were better for long drives compared to the first Auris.
The only gripe I had with it was the standard automatic gear stick. Plus the engine was a bit under powered at 1.5.

That was a 13 plate. We traded it in with the Auris for the TS.