Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2020 Camry Dead Battery

Malahl

I had a dead Battery about 2 weeks ago, and it took a jump and ran fine.  Then yesterday it was dead again and would not accept a jump.  Battery tested bad.

Like an idiot I took the Battery out to save some time and took the battery to the service center for a replacement, but will also need to bring it in to see if there is a voltage drain anywhere.

Questions:

- Anyone hear of issues with batteries for the 2020 models?

- Any other issues with newer model Camrys and voltage drain?  Known issue?

Welcome to TOC 👍

We've had something similar on one of the new RAV4's which share the same drive train.

Hope that is of use.

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem with my 2020 camry. I had a dead Battery 2 weeks ago, I brought the car to the dealer and they said the Battery was fine. Today the Battery is completely dead. We're you able to find the problem?

I have a new 2020 Camry,,,my Battery died three times,,,I asked for a new car but was denied,,,there is an issue with the car, one day it died after less than being operated less than 24 hours,,,and again after one week, towed it to the dealer,,,they say cannot find the problem.

• Like 1

Last rode my Camry 6 days ago.... went to get in it today and the Battery is dead, I assume. Doesn’t crank or anything and when I turn the headlights on they flash crazy fast. I love Toyota.... someone give some advice.  😩

I would be inclined to raise the issue with Customer Relations of your Toyota importer -  in the case of the OP, Toyota GB, unless they're in Dorset, Vermont: 

https://www.toyota.co.uk/contact-us/

If dealers are not finding fault with the Battery, potential issues may not be being raised with the importer.

That's sound really bad.

And it makes me wonder, what makes the Camry (and RAV4) different from any other hybrid? Engine size 2,5 liter vs. 2.0 vs 1.8, but deep inside, it's the same.

An update on my 2020 Camry with a dead Battery. My car has been at the dealer for the last week, they are unable to find any issues. The Battery tested good and the vehicle did not have an abnormal paraseic draw. Through my frustration with this vehicle I remembered that every once in a while I would turn the vehicle off open the door and the door would chime at me. I am wondering if the body module will sometimes stay on and drain the Battery. Has anyone else noticed the chime? 

On 3/22/2020 at 4:32 PM, Peter1716 said:

An update on my 2020 Camry with a dead Battery. My car has been at the dealer for the last week, they are unable to find any issues. The Battery tested good and the vehicle did not have an abnormal paraseic draw. Through my frustration with this vehicle I remembered that every once in a while I would turn the vehicle off open the door and the door would chime at me. I am wondering if the body module will sometimes stay on and drain the Battery. Has anyone else noticed the chime? 

We have had our Camry 3 months now. 1st time it has happened. However we recall the chime going off on us last night after we got out. Thus is a very real possibility. Are there any ways to avoid this issue?

Hi, definitely something is not right if the brand new Battery can’t hold charge for more than 3 days if not used, should be 30 days for etc or at least 3 weeks. If the car has no faults with inverter which I believe so than possibly Toyota had bad batch of batteries fitted to Camry, or as you mentioned chime warning. If you have user manual, if not online you can read it carefully and see if anything in settings can be change to prevent those chime and best is to switch off all auto interior lights. Also keep the key fob in can of cola or another aluminium box away from the car. 
Regards 

Have the dealers managed to get to the bottom of this Battery issue or Toyota UK have any answers?

• 2 weeks later...

Mine wife’s 3 month old 2020 Camry Battery has died 2 times now first time I thought maybe she left something on this time I checked everything and nothing was on, seems like something isn’t going to sleep and drains it overnight, I need a service and will let them know about it but if it has only happened 2 times in 4 months I know they will not find it unless there is a recall or service bulletin on it. Has anyone resolved their issue and what was it, thanks

There is one Technical service bulletin that mentions 12v Battery drainage ref: BE-00141T-TME and it relates to a software update for the Sat Nav control unit ( Called MEU )

To determine what version is installed in your car press SETUP > GENERAL > scroll down to SOFTWARE UPDATE if Navigation version is lower than 1530 then an update is required.

Subject: Toyota Touch 2 with Go (MM17) - Software fixes for MEU - Running Change 6
Area of Application: All Markets
Models – Model Codes: Camry - ASV70, ASV71, AXVA70, GSV70 ; Corolla - MZEH12, NRE210, ZRE210, ZWE211 ; Mirai - JPD10 ; Prius - ZVW50, ZVW55 ; RAV4 - AXAA52, AXAA54, AXAH52, AXAH54, MXAA52, MXAA54 ;

MEU Software release 1530 is latest for all MM17 Toyota models

List of solved issues for MEU: Multimedia Extension Unit (navigation module):

• MEU Software release version 1530:

• Unlogical traffic information (showing 4.5 million km on right side bar)

• Map in map screen changes to 2D North from another orientation after IG cycle, not keeping customer preferred view. (This does not solve having only 2D North in home screen).

• Missing fix speed cams in Austria.

• Map appears wrongly displayed due to map rendering algorithm.

• RDS paying TMC not available.

• Emergency incident pop-ups appearing when incident does not happen on current road.

• 12-V Battery flat due to MEU not getting into sleep mode after short IG ON-OFF cycle.

• MEU Software release version 1520:

• Wrong navigation guidance speech in Hungarian: translation of word "street" said twice by the navigation unit.

• Wrong side of navigation traffic information for left-hand traffic countries.

• Not enough

• When using voice recognition to input an address, it does not recognise voice input. Due to error related to sampling frequency mismatch.

• When using map, it appears loading endlessly.

• Navigation cursor turning more or less than vehicle due to gyroscope wrong calibration.

• MEU Software release version 1512

• After ignition on the map view is not displayed and the driver will see a black screen. The functions of the DCU remain fully functional.

To install save and then extract the attached file to the root of an otherwise empty USB once complete go to the car power it up into Ready mode go back to the Software update page and insert the USB and follow the onscreen instructions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My 3-month old 2020 Camry's Battery depleted yesterday after 3 days quarantining in the garage, with driver & passenger windows down. This is the first time I had left any window down for extended period. My Toyota Android app gets a warning about that but I ignored it. My theory is that the car will keep sending a message to the server (even if you don't have an app). It is like your smartphone staying on for 3 days. To add insult to injury, after I've jump-started the car, there is a pop-up that says the crappy Entomb app needs updated, Download + Install Yes/No. That's not gonna help. Don't leave car doors unlocked either, because you'd get an app warning, too. Finally, you don't need to put your key in a can if you put it in sleep mode, which you should do overnight anyway, to preserve the coin Battery that would otherwise run out in a year: Press & hold the key's Lock button, & at the same time, press & release the Unlock button Twice. (You can test that the key is asleep by trying to touch unlock the car door, with your key nearby; it'd fail. Any subsequent press of any button will wake the key. While you are at it, put your spare key in sleep mode if you don't really use it much.)

In the UK, where Toyota Owners Club is based, we don't have Entune - instead we have Touch 2 with go {MM17). Entune is for the US/Canada and, I think, Australia.

Brand new Toyota Camry SE 2020.  Within 3 weeks of purchase the car would not start up.  Dead Battery not once but three times. We're thinking if the radio is left on when the car is shut off it is draining the Battery overnight.  Show room closed and service department overwhelmed.  So I continue to call Rapid Recovery for a jump start but am also remembering not to leave the radio on. To be continued.

4 hours ago, seyfert6@gmail.com said:

Brand new Toyota Camry SE 2020.  Within 3 weeks of purchase the car would not start up.  Dead battery not once but three times. We're thinking if the radio is left on when the car is shut off it is draining the battery overnight.  Show room closed and service department overwhelmed.  So I continue to call Rapid Recovery for a jump start but am also remembering not to leave the radio on. To be continued.

Where are you located?

if within the EU then my post HERE may apply?

I’ve got a brand new 2020 XSE Camry and have had it 3 months. Due to covid-19 I’m not driving every day so last week I went to work on Wednesday, the car sat Thursday - Tuesday and when I went out to get in my car it was completely dead! I bought a new car so I had no issues exactly like this. Had to call roadside assistance who came to my house and jumped the car off in my garage. I drove straight to a Toyota of Rock Hill and after keeping my car all day, they said it’s fine, it’s made to be “Driven” and that’s not acceptable ! My car sits for long weekends and we go on annual vacations, so I’m going to come back to cruise port or airport and my car is dead ? They told me probably so! 
for what I paid for this car and as exceptional as Toyota has been in the past  I’m livid! This is my second Camry and I had two 4-Runners in between, just cant believe it’s bad not to drive my car and keep the miles down. Toyota needs to step up and fix this !!!! Way too much money being spent for an unreliable vehicle!!

8 minutes ago, MichelleRockHill said:

I’ve got a brand new 2020 XSE Camry and have had it 3 months. Due to covid-19 I’m not driving every day so last week I went to work on Wednesday, the car sat Thursday - Tuesday and when I went out to get in my car it was completely dead! I bought a new car so I had no issues exactly like this. Had to call roadside assistance who came to my house and jumped the car off in my garage. I drove straight to a Toyota of Rock Hill and after keeping my car all day, they said it’s fine, it’s made to be “Driven” and that’s not acceptable ! My car sits for long weekends and we go on annual vacations, so I’m going to come back to cruise port or airport and my car is dead ? They told me probably so! 
for what I paid for this car and as exceptional as Toyota has been in the past  I’m livid! This is my second Camry and I had two 4-Runners in between, just cant believe it’s bad not to drive my car and keep the miles down. Toyota needs to step up and fix this !!!! Way too much money being spent for an unreliable vehicle!!

Toyota Owners Club is UK based and the vast majority of members are in the UK or Europe. There is a US version of the club -  https://us.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/  - which would be more appropriate for you as you are in the South Carolina area.

• 3 weeks later...

In the dealer now with a 2020 camry. Did not start , jumped it, drove it, parked it. Did not start again. Drive it to dealer after jump. They say Battery is good but software needed update. Dont understand how a jump fixes the software but the upload takes 45 minutes we'll see. In Florida.

4 hours ago, Jollygreengolfer said:

In the dealer now with a 2020 camry. Did not start , jumped it, drove it, parked it. Did not start again. Drive it to dealer after jump. They say Battery is good but software needed update. Dont understand how a jump fixes the software but the upload takes 45 minutes we'll see. In Florida.

Upload did not work. Car overnoght for troubleshoot. 

I got my 2020 Camry in March. This morning is #4 time the Battery is dead....I am so frustrated

Same issue 2020 Camry XSE AWD dead Battery.  Roadside said he jumped 3 same trim and color in my area.  Toyota check Battery and replaced it.  Good tip on putting the keys to sleep 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2020 Camry TRD and this happened to me after not using the car for 2 days the Battery was dead. My husband said its called ghost drain where nothing is actually found to be wrong but theres something electronic thats  draining the Battery. Its not good for the Battery so I'm hoping toyota figures it out and repairs it