Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2020 Camry Dead Battery

Malahl

Brand new 2020 Camry and my Battery just randomly went dead, and had to call roadside assistance and have it hauled in. Toyota said the batter tested fine and they charged it up and my car is fine now. They are basically telling me that since they can't duplicate the problem, there is nothing they can do, and they have no clue what drained it.

• 2 weeks later...

Brand new Camry SE, 200 miles, purchased in two weeks. Last time I drove was yesterday afternoon, and its Battery died this morning. In-door light is dim and no cranking after press ignition button. I thought is was because I didn't turn off something like auto front light or car-play cable, but I saw some many issues here.

It is in warm summer in south, brand new car,  fresh drive and dead Battery in one day. I use to be in mid-west. The Battery of my old Mercedes won't die in -10 Celcius for one month. Disappointed about Toyota.

2020 Camry trd 8000 miles. Car has been dead last two morning after sitting overnight... this is so dumb. Brand new car. Have to take it to dealership Tuesday and hope that they figure something out.. I doubt it though from the amount of posts with the camrys and rav4s.. 

The vast majority ( but not all) problems on this thread are occurring in Location:other/no UK.  Be interesting to know where the problem cars are made, and are faults be made known to the respective importers.

As Frostyballs (forum moderator) often says, this forum is not an official Toyota forum, and doubtful officials from Toyota read this forum, so complaints need to be made through the Toyota official channel.

Looking at the models affected (XSE, TRD, etc), a few of these posters are in the US, and these cars would have been built in the US.

2020 Toyota Camry 2,600 miles and a dead Battery. I work from home and my car will sit for days without being used. This is unacceptable! I just put in a ticket for Toyota Roadside Assistance but I see so many others are having the same issue. I’m very frustrated!

On 3/22/2020 at 5:32 PM, Peter1716 said:

An update on my 2020 Camry with a dead battery. My car has been at the dealer for the last week, they are unable to find any issues. The battery tested good and the vehicle did not have an abnormal paraseic draw. Through my frustration with this vehicle I remembered that every once in a while I would turn the vehicle off open the door and the door would chime at me. I am wondering if the body module will sometimes stay on and drain the battery. Has anyone else noticed the chime? 

Same thing happened to me today. Door chime with keys in ignition and door open. Dead Battery though. Very frustrating being I haven’t had the car but 2 months!

• 4 weeks later...

I bought my new 2020 Camry on June 1st. Less than 6 weeks later when I left the car sit for three days, the Battery was dead. For a brand new car, this greatly disturbed me and required getting a jump. No interior lights on, nothing. In Ohio two weeks later, car sat for two days and would barely crank. Today, I got in car after it sat for three days without starting and Battery was dead again, requiring another aggravating car jump. What the hell is this?? I paid nearly $27,000 for a brand new car and the damn Battery goes dead in two - three days time if you don't start the car. Toyota needs to cut the **** with all the battery draining technology, whatever they are doing and get this problem resolved. I took to Sam's Club for battery test -- but battery tested good. Toyota has a parasitic battery drain going on in their new 2020 Camrys. When you buy a car, you want a dependable car that is going to start. I can let my 2010 Toyota Camry sit for two week and it will start right up -- with a 4 yr. old battery. There is definitely a battery drain problem with the new 2020 Toyota Camry. This sucks!!!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just curious if anyone having this issue, also had a dealer installed remote start / security system installed ?

My gf's 2020 TRD with less than 2000 miles just started having this issue. The remote start system transmits data she can see on her phone

and I suspect this could be the potential drain problem. 

Thanks

Chris

We have a 2020 Camry, if the cat sits for more than 3 days, we have to jump start. Took to the dealer they ran a load test and said Battery was fine. I checked for about an hour and no Battery drain. I’m wandering if something is triggered in the computer system later. We bought a jump starter to keep with us, has to use it on vacation, Something going on I think Toyota hasn’t found or no telling.

To all the people with this issue, look for something that can be left in line with the Battery monitoring for parasitic draw and logging the data. Capture that for a few days until it dies. The current readings will likely prove parasitic draw and then it'll be toyota's problem.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-Multimeter-AP-570C-APP-Resistance-Capacitance/dp/B07Q6HJRYR/

that would do it I reckon. Leave that running overnight, see if it records any significant parasitic draw. Then once proven, take the data to toyota and tell them to run their own tests for a long period and figure out the cause. On a brand new car this is unacceptable, if it were me I would be insisting on them doing that themselves rather than having to buy a data logger just to get them to fix it.

I have a 2020 Camary.  My batter has been died 3 times.  The first two times it was towed to a toyota dealer.  They could not find anything wrong with the batter.  After the second time Toyota replaced the Battery.  Now the new Battery has died.  They are saying that it is probably because I leave the key fob inside the car.  My car is located in a locked garage.  I would maybe agree with this but this is my 5th Camary and I have a Lexus.  All cars I have left the key fob in them.  Also the car will ding sometimes when I leave it.  I think that there is an electrical issue that is not showing up in the test that have been ran.  I have no faith that taking the key fob out will eliminate the problem.

It mentioned in a TSB and there is a fix in the MEU navigation software for MM17 and MM19 

BE-00191T-TME    MM19

MEU software version 1120:

Missing permanently installed speed cameras in Austria.
Card appears abnormal due to playback algorithm.
TMC via RDS not available for a fee.
Emergency / accident event notifications even though no event has occurred on the actual route.
12 V Battery discharged because the MEU does not go into sleep mode after switching off the ignition.
Speed limits displayed in wrong color on home screen and map.
Traffic direction symbol appears grayed out instead of highlighted or shown in white text.
Days of the week in Polish are not shown with capital letters.
Update button on weather screen not capitalized in Norwegian version
When you press the back button, the intersection view disappears briefly before it reappears,
Back button visible after scrolling in POI details
Device ID updated on MM19

BE-00141T-TME      MM17

MEU software version 1530:

Illogical traffic information (display of 4.5 million km on the right bar)
After ignition OFF / ON, the map in the map screen changes from another orientation preferred by the customer to the 2D north view. (This is not a problem solution in the event that only the orientation "2D North" appears on the start screen).
Missing permanently installed speed cameras in Austria.
Card appears abnormal due to playback algorithm.
Chargeable TMC not available via RDS. Emergency / accident event reports although no event occurred on the actual route.
12 V Battery discharged because the MEU does not go into sleep mode after switching off the ignition.
Note: If the 12 V Battery is discharged: Check the status of the battery discharge before using the TSB. If you have DTC U0110 or U0293, refer to BE-00214T-TME instead.

• Thanks 1

On 3/22/2020 at 3:32 PM, Peter1716 said:

An update on my 2020 Camry with a dead battery. My car has been at the dealer for the last week, they are unable to find any issues. The battery tested good and the vehicle did not have an abnormal paraseic draw. Through my frustration with this vehicle I remembered that every once in a while I would turn the vehicle off open the door and the door would chime at me. I am wondering if the body module will sometimes stay on and drain the battery. Has anyone else noticed the chime? 

Hi, I was wondering if the dealer was able to help you find a solution to the issue of your car. I'm currently going through the same thing and have no answers yet?

• 3 weeks later...

Same thing is happening to me. I got my 2020 Camry Se 2 months ago. If I don't drive it for a day in a half or two. My Battery is completely dead. I'm calling a lawyer Monday morning to see what I can do about getting out of this car. I'm so very frustrated, outside of that. It seems like a good car. A brand new car should not be doing that. 

Just take the fuse out for the headunit//gps/meu drive around like that for like 1-2 weeks if everything is fine then your know what is wrong. Not that big of a deal

• 4 weeks later...

See if your dealer has his update. Saw it on another forum and had it done.

DCM Reset and Firmware Update EL1934  0.8 86741-#####

DCM stands for Data Control Module. Makes for interesting reading  if you feel like googling it.

Fingers crossed that this does the trick.

On 8/29/2020 at 10:11 PM, m4rkw said:

To all the people with this issue, look for something that can be left in line with the battery monitoring for parasitic draw and logging the data. Capture that for a few days until it dies. The current readings will likely prove parasitic draw and then it'll be toyota's problem.

Hi Mark, I`m just reading through this thread and yours is the first sensible post to appear Do you think, the guys in the U.S.. have read their handbooks ?

My brother and I bought 2020 Camrys about 3 months apart. His Battery died about 3 months after buying the car and had to have it replaced. My Battery died about 2 months after I bought mine. Toyota Brand Agent said it is a known issue and that Toyota has alerted dealerships.

• 3 weeks later...

Seems like there is hope. We let the car sit for about 60 hours and the car then started with no issues. Battery voltage was at about 12.7.

The DCM firmware update seems to have helped !

Anybody had any trouble after having the firmware updated ?

Fingers crossed.

My 2020 Camry will not crank at times. Been in the shop for 2 weeks. They have no idea what’s running the Battery down. It has cranked every day for them. Possibly the I phone with car play is the issue. I have to unpair my phone and see if that is what’s causing the problem. So, if it is the issue, I cannot use the car play feature. I’m so frustrated. I have driven Toyota’s for years. I bought this car in March and have less than 5k miles on it. I may switch to Chevrolet. Please help me Toyota. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2020 Toyota Camry SE.. I’ve had it 2 months.. If this helps, I had the same issue.. car sat literally over night I went out to crank it and it wouldn’t start. It sounded like the Battery was dead. I boosted it off and it was fine. I later called the dealership and they told me they are aware of these issues and to bring it in. The problem is the DCM is staying on and draining the Battery. They had a update/reprogram for it. We will see how it does from here on out. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links