Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2020 Camry Dead Battery

Malahl

Just bought my Toyota Camry 2020 SE and I’ve had it just for about a month now. I left it in the parking garage for 3 days as there’s no where to go due to quarantine. On night 3, I had to step out and to my surprise it did not start. Eventually tried to jump it many many times and it would still not start. Eventually gave it a break and it worked. Tried to start it again this morning, did not start. Jumped it, did not start. Is this common with the 2020 camrys?

Literally sitting on my bed waiting for the tow truck to come by for the 2nd time this week to jump my car. It’s a 2020 Camry SE. had it for a few months. What gives?? Anyone get a new car out of it? Lol 

Battery died. Took it to the dealer, who said I should drive the car more. A week later the same story. They checked with Toyota. Apparently there is a service update for the car's computer. We got this downloaded. No more issues.

• 3 weeks later...

Got my 2020 Camry in August and this is the third time my Battery has died. Currently waiting on Toyota to come jump me off. When I called the dealership, they did give me some very helpful information though. Apparently only some of the 2020 models have the issue but the SOS button is causing the Battery to drain and needs to be updated. Said to bring the car in and the update should take about an hour. 

My girlfriend got a 2020 Camry SE back in March. She leased it literally the day before she found out she was being laid off due to COVID. It’s been driven maybe 4 times for a total of 150 miles on the odometer. It was collecting a lot of dust in the garage so when it started raining last week I suggested backing it out to give it a bath. The Battery was completely dead. No way to jump it from another car so I trickle charged the Battery and after a few hours it started. The next day my girlfriend tried to start it and it just clicked. She called the dealership yesterday and they had her bring it in today. I left the trickle charger on overnight so she could go today. They said the Battery was fine. She always keeps one of the keys in the cup holder since it’s parked in a locked garage attached to the house. I don’t quite understand the logic behind it but they told her keeping a key inside the car, not in the ignition, somehow causes the battery to drain. I don’t know if there’s a constant signal being sent to or from the key by the car’s computer that drains the battery but if anyone else has this issue and keeps a key in the car maybe this will help. I am going to mention the software update to her tomorrow just in case this issue persists.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/22/2020 at 10:32 PM, Peter1716 said:

An update on my 2020 Camry with a dead battery. My car has been at the dealer for the last week, they are unable to find any issues. The battery tested good and the vehicle did not have an abnormal paraseic draw. Through my frustration with this vehicle I remembered that every once in a while I would turn the vehicle off open the door and the door would chime at me. I am wondering if the body module will sometimes stay on and drain the battery. Has anyone else noticed the chime? 

i have a 2020 camry brand new for only three weeks got in the car and it would not start just had it towed to dealership ill let you know what they say i will not buy another Battery lol

• 3 weeks later...

This has happened to me twice in my 2020 Camry XSE. After the car sits for a weekend, it will not start.  Before the Battery died the second time, I was unable to get my Wi-FI to connect and my remote/safety connect would not allow me to enter the 6-digit code to renew.  When we put the Battery charger on the car for a bit, it started right up and miraculously my Wi-Fi came right up as did my screen to renew my remote/safety connect.  I think it is something with the computer/software draining the Battery.  It is going in for service next week, so will let you know what they say.

• 3 weeks later...

On 2/17, my 2020 Camry was dead. It had to be jumped. I immediately took it to the dealer who said, “oh yeah, it needs a software update.” They updated the software, checked everything else out and said it was “fine.” Mind you it was in for routine maintenance just the week before and no mention of a software update and they did their ‘multipoint inspection’ and all was fine. This morning I got in and it would barely start. I again took it immediately to the dealer. They started it twice and said it seemed fine. As the service writer got in it to move it, dead as a hammer. They replaced the Battery due to a “bad cell.” I call Mod edit, and think there is a parasitic drain problem on the 2020 Camry model. I think it’s a deeper issue.

• 3 weeks later...

Battery just died on my 2020 Camry.  40,000 miles and many start and stops as my son uses it for door dashing.  Hope it is just the Battery, will let you know if any issues persist.

• 3 months later...

We bought a Camry SE in Feb, 2020. We didn't drive it much (we even joked about getting three weeks to the gallon during the various Covid lockdowns), and we never had a problem with starting the car, even after it had been idle for days (or even weeks?) on end. 

Yesterday I needed to drive a relative to the emergency room and it wouldn't start.🥵 Deader'n a doornail. Finally got a jump after making sure the relative was okay (after going to hospital in an ambulance). Then this morning I began googling and came to this site. It was very helpful.

There clearly is a software "situation". The thing that twigged for me was the suggestion that the window-down warning or the door-open warning or the door-unlocked warning might have drained the Battery overnight. I can't believe this car beeps at me when I turn the car off and decide to leave the windows a bit open on very hot days! But that's (yet another) minor digression.

What I remembered was that I had opened the door before I turned the car off. The software really doesn't like that. I've had this problem in the past: open the door, try to turn the car off in that sequence, and it gets upset. In the past I've dealt with it by closing the door, turning things off and then restarting the car, turning it off, and THEN finally exiting the car. What a pain! But the day before yesterday, that didn't work the same way. I was agitated about the relative's illness and probably didn't go through the entire process of making sure the doors were 'properly' closed before the engine turning on and then off. Now I know. But it really is ridiculous.

And... after I got the jump, there was a notice on the screen about the software for some suite needing updating. I clicked on download and then install, and who knows if that was the problem or if that solved. Here's hoping....

Thanks to everyone here who posted suggestions!

Best,

John Palmer (EclectEcon.net)

• 2 weeks later...

When I read such stories I feel lucky to live in a city with awesome Toyota service 🙂

• 1 month later...
On 3/22/2020 at 6:32 PM, Peter1716 said:

An update on my 2020 Camry with a dead Battery. My car has been at the dealer for the last week, they are unable to find any issues. The Battery tested good and the vehicle did not have an abnormal paraseic draw. Through my frustration with this vehicle I remembered that every once in a while I would turn the vehicle off open the door and the door would chime at me. I am wondering if the body module will sometimes stay on and drain the Battery. Has anyone else noticed the chime? 

6 minutes ago, EllenW said:

I have noticed the chime and didn’t realize this could drain the Battery.  I just had an incident with my 2020 Camry yesterday.

• 1 month later...

Purchased 2021 Toyota Camry Hybird 28 July 2021. Vehicle had 7 miles. Vehicle had voice warning that communication module could not connect. Checked with dealer, they said once the Toyota app is registered message will go away...it didn't. Drove the vehicle every day for about a week and then left parked for approximately 26 hours and had a dead Battery. Roadside assistance was able to jump car, two days later, same issue. Took to dealer service center in Carlsbad, CA where they worked on the vehicle for 5 days with no solution. Drove the car back to Phoenix and dropped car Bell Road Toyota Service Center on 14th of August. (that's where I purchased the vehicle) Horrendous customer service and 44 days later they are unable to come up with a solution. Bought the vehicle because of Toyota's reputation and the fact that the Camry is highly rated...completely different opinion now.

Hello Bob and welcome to Toyota Owners Club, based on the UK. Being a UK forum, please remember that there could be a delay in you seeing replies due to the time difference. Like now, you started this thread 8 hours ago, that in the uk is around midnight, most would be having sweet dreams by then. It is now 8am as I am typing, I now retired so no dashing off to work.

Camry is a lovely car, always has been, but not many selling in the UK, but it’s a hybrid and there are lots of Toyota hybrids sold in the UK.

Tells is a bit more of what the dealer has done, and he must of tried things in 44 days. Also, what is your usage, how often do you drive, and how far would you go in a typical journey.

• 4 months later...

Hi, guys! Do you know if such a problem is only about Camry 2020? Or does 2021 have the same issue too?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links