Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear wiper pain

fopetesl

I've struggled to resolve the rear wiper being poor for several years on my 56 reg.

Three different wiper arms,  12, 14 and 16" blades. Cheap and Bosch blades,

Nothing has resolved the blade(s) only cleaning half the sweep.

I'm fairly tall so need to clean top half of rear screen for a good view,

Aygo Rear Wiper Issue.jpg

May well be the spring on the main arm that has gone weak, or had some damage in the past which stops it lying on the glass flat. 

3 minutes ago, Catlover said:

May well be the spring on the main arm that has gone weak, or had some damage in the past which stops it lying on the glass flat. 

That's what I thought initially so I bought new arms. Twice.  No change. 🙁

Maybe use a bit of water...

I still use the original one, just replace the rubber, i buy  some cheap ones in Tesco, snip down to size and put the new blades.

Worked great so far.

I only started after i bought 2 expensive pairs  and they sucked, after which some cheap one worked great.

14 minutes ago, furtula said:

Maybe use a bit of water...

I still use the original one, just replace the rubber, i buy  some cheap ones in Tesco, snip down to size and put the new blades.

Worked great so far.

I only started after i bought 2 expensive pairs  and they sucked, after which some cheap one worked great.

Like I said, tried cheap and expensive blades. All still didn't/don't wipe half their sweep.

I suspect the arm is incorrect, it looks like it is not applying pressure to he glass 

8 minutes ago, Parts-King said:

I suspect the arm is incorrect, it looks like it is not applying pressure to he glass 

Possibly but all three arms have weak springs or incorrect parts?

9 minutes ago, Parts-King said:

Are they non genuine arms?

Not being a mechanic I can't be sure except they were bought as genuine Toyota parts.

Look, there is a reason all these things are not working, either the parts are wrong, or something is wrong with the way the arm is sitting on the wiper spindle. Maybe the tailgate/motor spindle are damaged. Did the new parts come in a Genuine Toyota bag, or did you buy them online and ASSUME they were genuine? You need to eliminate possible wrong parts or other damage 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Parts-King said:

Look, there is a reason all these things are not working, either the parts are wrong, or something is wrong with the way the arm is sitting on the wiper spindle. Maybe the tailgate/motor spindle are damaged. Did the new parts come in a Genuine Toyota bag, or did you buy them online and ASSUME they were genuine? You need to eliminate possible wrong parts or other damage 

I accept, of course, that there's a reason why things aren't working.  I've examined how the arm sits on the driver spindle and can see no difference between mine and a slightly newer Aygo, i.e. the arm sits on the spindle to the same depth so it doesn't appear to be a height above the glass issue.

One way to check genuine. You appear to be a dealer, what is the cost of a Toyota wiper arm?

The arm is £14.02 plus VAT and the blade is £9.03 plus VAT

1 hour ago, Parts-King said:

The arm is £14.02 plus VAT and the blade is £9.03 plus VAT

Thanks, IIRC, I paid about £10 for the arm. Blades varied, Bosch being the most expensive.

Has the spindle been damaged any time in its life? The vehicles 25 years old, something must have happened during that time that’s made it wonky.

Sounds like a non genuine one then, some sort of universal one that is not suitable, replace with new, genuine blade and arm after checking for any damage/misfit/spindle damage 

It's not the arm or the blade, The issue is the motor it's self, i would think its broke loose or the bearings or bushings are shot

iirc the motor is just held through the glass Edit. It mounts to the handle bracket on the inside with a bolt and rubber bushing

i would pull the motor and inspect it and the rubber bushes that go through the glass

i wonder if the boot handle has cracked

22 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Has the spindle been damaged any time in its life? The vehicles 25 years old, something must have happened during that time that’s made it wonky.

OP has there info wrong its a 56 plate so 2006 iirc very late 2004 is the first of the Aygo's

1 minute ago, flash22 said:

OP has there info wrong its a 56 plate so 2006 iirc very late 2004 is the first of the Aygo's

Actually I was trying to think when the Aygo first came out, couldn’t get the brain working (not unusual).  Wife had a 56 plate C1, and they been out a couple years, should have thought of that at the time. Doh!

Good suggestion re the motor mounting.

First thing to check.

13 years old and not in bad nick. Some light rust on the front cross member is all.

I have seen cars that have been reversed into, with very minor damage, but has pushed the panel in slightly, quite common on RAV that had the spare wheel on the back, a nudge bends the panel behind the wheel. Not saying that has happened but worthwhile investigating why that blade does not sit correctly 

11 minutes ago, Parts-King said:

I have seen cars that have been reversed into, with very minor damage, but has pushed the panel in slightly, quite common on RAV that had the spare wheel on the back, a nudge bends the panel behind the wheel. Not saying that has happened but worthwhile investigating why that blade does not sit correctly 

Yep. Another thing to check. Thanks.

if the spindle is off by 5 degrees the arm may be out by 10-20 degrees at the furthest point

the tailgate is all glass it may have been hit in the past and the tailgate replaced but not any of the wiper parts or its been vandalized - someone tried to rip the rear arm off it but failed

3 minutes ago, flash22 said:

the tailgate is all glass 

Of course.......doh! forgot about that 

• 2 weeks later...

Ours had the bush spinning in the plastic arm so wasnt wiping properly. Had to cut the bush off the spindle with a hacksaw. I fitted a cheap eBay arm and blade and it works fine so cheap isnt always bad. I would say that the standard blade works better than the longer one some people recommend. That just squealed on ours. I would check its properly tight on the spindle as others have suggested. Also very dumb question...the blade is fitted correctly and the clip isnt broken?