Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CV split boot advice

Jikky

Hi all,can anybody recommend a good quality split cv boot for a 1.3 iq ,Ive tried the bailcast type,which i havnt had much luck with as they keep splitting.The febi bilstein type which screws together seems the way to go but cant seem to find one to fit the iq,does anybody possibly know the internal diamentions and length of the original boot?i would use a slide over boot but some idiot (from the previous owner) removed the driveshaft nut and didnt replace it with a £3 new one,which in turn destroyed the driveshaft thread taking it off so its not an option to do it this way.Any advice would be very much appreciated.

• 3 years later...
On 2/11/2020 at 8:02 PM, Jikky said:

Hi all,can anybody recommend a good quality split cv boot for a 1.3 iq ,Ive tried the bailcast type,which i havnt had much luck with as they keep splitting.The febi bilstein type which screws together seems the way to go but cant seem to find one to fit the iq,does anybody possibly know the internal diamentions and length of the original boot?i would use a slide over boot but some idiot (from the previous owner) removed the driveshaft nut and didnt replace it with a £3 new one,which in turn destroyed the driveshaft thread taking it off so its not an option to do it this way.Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Did you ever solve this? I've just found an outer boot leaking on my iQ3, and ordered one online. The dimensions seem to be 23.5x76x99mm long. Not a split boot of course, so fitting it will be fun,,, NOT!

Hi Paul,yes my friend managed to remove the driveshaft nut and used a boot cone to stretch a new toyota boot on,,Dont forget the shaft has a groove and a crush nut on it and has to punched out first to remove it(this was the reason my shaft thread was damaged,as it was taken off without punching out the crush nut)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Universal-Installation-Mount-Fitting-Stretch/dp/B0BV7GLMLS/ref=sr_1_9?crid=2JTEB3D355DKE&keywords=cv+boot+stretching+tool&qid=1706615462&sprefix=cv+boot%2Caps%2C99&sr=8-9

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to change the boot (outer, near side) successfully a couple of weeks ago. Ended up removing the whole drive shaft so I could get the outer CV off in the vice, in the dry and (relatively) warm garage. When I removed the shaft from the gearbox, I was a little surprised that no gearbox oil escaped. So, another trip to Halfrauds for 3 litres of the correct oil (again, no discount given!), and now waiting for another warm and dry day to change it! It will be interesting to see how much old oil comes out of the box...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I managed to change the gearbox oil last week without making too much mess! Car on axle stands and level; nearside front wheel and inner wheel arch panel removed, air filter housing removed; filler plug removed with a 30mm socket and enough extension bars to reach it through the wheel arch. On removing the drain plug, the oil collected only amounted to about 1 litre! Next problem, how to get 2.4 litres in through the filler plug hole. Rummaging around the garage, I found a long, thin funnel and an old oil pick-up pipe from a Mini gearbox; sawed off the strainer from that and pipe had just the right shape to feed the oil into the box. So, after a week, there doesn't seem to be any oil leaking out, so I can be fairly confident that the driveshaft oil seals are working. Just hoping that someone must have removed a driveshaft in the past, and failed to top up the box afterwards, and that no damage to the box or diff has been done! It certainly drives and sounds fine. 🤞

• Like 1