Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Corolla 2.0 Excel Hybrid Enormous Fuel Consumption

Driver69

On 1/20/2022 at 12:55 PM, TonyHSD said:

I have to look at Honda hybrid system again to see if it’s really as good as some people are saying. Been told previously about Hyundai hybrids are more efficient than Prius specifically ioniq, I looked at it as direct replacement of Toyota future purchase because I did tried the electric version (my gf’s car) and I did like it a lot, the hybrid is more complicated as represents two power sources plus transmission. When I compared ioniq to Prius which are very similar btw, the Toyota hybrid drive train seems the better option as it has the unique transmission without gears and clutches (+1 for Prius) and the ice has no direct injection and no belts(+2 for Prius), battery, bms and electric motors 20 years of experience and earned reputation for been ultra reliable  (+3 for Prius), where Hyundai has just stepped into the hybrid game and their ice are direct injection only with well known problems, plus they use dual clutch 6 speed transmission . Toyota wins for me. 🏎🏁😍

Yes indeed. Toyota's 'power split' transmission has earned a very good reputation developed from the first generation Prius (for over 2 decades) to those offered today.  As you say there's not a single belt anywhere.

Hyundai is one of the new kids on the block and employs a dual clutch transmission.  DCTs' (esp. dry clutch versions) all have well known reliability issues.  I'd give them a very wide berth.

Early Honda 'hybrids', I seem to recall were called IMA (integrated motor assist) with an annular stator and axial rotor where a torque converter would be.  Transmissions were conventional (belt and expanding pulley) CVTs.

Not sure what Honda are offering now?

• Like 1

On 1/20/2022 at 3:14 PM, AndrueC said:

FYI.

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=12364.0

That's a friendly forum, much like this one. Always worth posting a question as a prospective buyer.

An interesting comparison of the Jazz v Yaris later in that thread:

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=12364.msg102745#msg102745

Interestingly that spritmotor website puts the Jazz below the Yaris and the Corolla.

https://www.spritmonitor.de/en/evaluation/economic_models.html

Thank you for the links.

Nice to know that the Honda forum is just as friendly as this one.

We are here to share our experiences with other owners, certainly never to dispute another member's view.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2022 at 8:38 PM, bigmarvloyal said:

Thank you. 

So, imagine I took the electric element of the car away and it was just a normal 2.0 petrol. Are we seeing 50mpg?

Sorry I'm being thick lol 

That's a very fair comment.

The 2.0 Corolla is indecently quick measured by any yardstick.  On paper, it's marginally quicker to 60 mph than my old 2.8 Capri with around half the (26-27 mpg) fuel consumption and is nearly as much fun to drive.

By comparison, the 1.8 Auris was lethargic with dubious handling characteristics but could easily hit (and exceed) 70 mpg in slow urban traffic. It was sound, reliable transport and nothing more.

If you need fuel economy for fast motorway runs, the efficiency of a modern diesel is still unbeatable.

JW

• Like 2

FWIW - I had a C-HR 2 litre hybrid on test yesterday & without trying plus my slightly heavy right foot at times, it still returned 56mpg average over my hour with it.

Also managed to get EV mode for a while cruising at 50 mph.

The 2 litre is a lot more enjoyable to drive compared to the 1.8. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ampex196 said:

That's a very fair comment.

The 2.0 Corolla is indecently quick measured by any yardstick.  On paper, it's marginally quicker to 60 mph than my old 2.8 Capri with around half the (26-27 mpg) fuel consumption and is nearly as much fun to drive.

By comparison, the 1.8 Auris was lethargic with dubious handling characteristics but could easily hit (and exceed) 70 mpg in slow urban traffic. It was sound, reliable transport and nothing more.

If you need fuel economy for fast motorway runs, the efficiency of a modern diesel is still unbeatable.

JW

True, hybrids doesn’t like fast speeds even the 2.0 and 2.5 anything over 65-70mph miles the efficiency where a 3.0 i6 bmw can keep going at 90-100mph and rerun 45mpg 👌

• 5 months later...

My car recently failed its Hybrid Health Check. It's a 2.0 Hybrid. With the recent spell of warm weather, the says it's currently averaging 73.1mpg (for the last 175 miles). Last time I filled up it had managed 71.6mpg for the tank average. Up to now, I normally average around 65mpg (60-68mpg). 

Is there likely to be something wrong with my car, since these are not normal figures for the 2.0. I wonder if it's improperly discharging the Battery and potentially shortening its life.

48 minutes ago, gregorypete said:

My car recently failed its Hybrid Health Check. It's a 2.0 Hybrid. With the recent spell of warm weather, the says it's currently averaging 73.1mpg (for the last 175 miles). Last time I filled up it had managed 71.6mpg for the tank average. Up to now, I normally average around 65mpg (60-68mpg). 

Is there likely to be something wrong with my car, since these are not normal figures for the 2.0. I wonder if it's improperly discharging the battery and potentially shortening its life.

Lol, these figures are really high and not typical for the 2.0 hybrids., well done 👍, it seems you can drive very efficiently 👌

For the hybrid health check failure most common reason is low 12v Battery and ecu reset after disconnecting the Battery or voltage been below minimum threshold. The garage will likely suggest you to drive the car for another 500 miles and re test again. As long as you don’t have warning messages on the dash and the car drives as usual there is nothing to worry about the hybrid Battery or car performance. In very hot or very cold Toyota hybrids can act strangely but that’s normal for these cars as they are hybrids indeed and slightly different from ice or bev’s. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gregorypete said:

Is there likely to be something wrong with my car, since these are not normal figures for the 2.0. I wonder if it's improperly discharging the battery and potentially shortening its life.

Nothing wrong I doubt, warm weather is brilliant for MPG on Hybrid 

Why did it fail the HHC? Usually a flat Battery will cause that, have you had a flat Battery?

• Like 1

2.0 TS owners …. On the motorway is there a sweetspot cruising speed where it is the most efficient ? 

On 7/23/2022 at 10:20 AM, DC_Ms said:

2.0 TS owners …. On the motorway is there a sweetspot cruising speed where it is the most efficient ? 

60-65mph is the sweet spot. ACC on tucked in behind an articulated or other large vehicle trying to make good progress - i.e. overtakes more slow moving traffic.

Edit - to expand. Maintaining a constant cruise speed makes most efficient use out of the engine. Negating any acceleration or braking as much as possible.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 7/23/2022 at 11:20 AM, DC_Ms said:

Yes, just like @BugsyBobCat I found 60-65 mph to be the sweetspot. In summer (albeit Finnish summer), I can get 63-65 mpg doing between 50 and 65 for about 20 miles (work commute). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/24/2022 at 11:40 PM, BugsyBobCat said:

60-65mph is the sweet spot. ACC on tucked in behind an articulated or other large vehicle trying to make good progress - i.e. overtakes more slow moving traffic.

Edit - to expand. Maintaining a constant cruise speed makes most efficient use out of the engine. Negating any acceleration or braking as much as possible.

It's amazing what aerodynamics can do...

I travelled recently through large highway tunnels, and experience what the bulb air pressure from a huge lory can produce, you're literally being aspirated towards the truck. I was able to constantly charge the HV Battery while traveling at 65/70 km/h, and at sometimes I needed to brake a little to maintain the safety distance.

There was traffic so the distance and speed between cars was less than normal, and obviously the enclosed space helped a lot, but it was an entertaining little stretch of road indeed. It's not something I would recommend trying to do on normal highways, because the security distance needs to be less, and you would probably end up with way higher paint chips count than your normal 'ply through air barrier' behind a truck scenario...

• Like 2

Here is an example of what I can get out of the 2.0 TS. Took the long B-road route to my errand, switched Sport S+ mode on, had some fun on twisty roads. 22.7 mi at average speed 30 mph, got 68.6 mpg.

photo_2022-07-31 17.37.10.jpeg

• Like 4

On 7/24/2022 at 10:40 PM, BugsyBobCat said:

Those are VERY low highway speeds. 😛 

75miles (120kms/h) is my "standard" and minimum speed.

Maybe low for a german on the autobahn but not for a country where the national speed limit is 70mph and lorries are limited to 56mph! :laugh: 

Well it seems speed limits and restrictions are only on paper in uk. Lorries are often travelling over 60-65mph , busses over 70mph, cars 80+mph , only slowing down where speed cameras are visible. And indeed Toyota hybrids does not like high speeds. Best cruising speed is around 60mph (100km/h). 

My 2 litre hybrid C-HR can return journey figures like this without trying, it all depends what sort of journey you use it for.

I'm about to reach 2k miles from new & the overall average so far is around 52 mpg.

PXL_20220801_102633607 - Copy_010709.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Well it seems speed limits and restrictions are only on paper in uk. Lorries are often travelling over 60-65mph. 

I've never noticed that. I habitually sit in lane one on motorways. I set CC to 60 and when I come up behind an HGV my speed usually drops to a reported 58. I am hardly ever overtaken by an HGV and if I am it's usually because the HGV in front has slowed and the overtaking HGV is able to slowly creep past.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=77227#:~:text=All HGV's are supposed to,British motorway is 60 mph!

There might be one two drivers flaunting the regulations but I've seen no evidence of an industry-wide problem and since it's tied into tachographs it seems unlikely there could be.

I really don't like going around 60mph on motorways to be honest. I am those guys that put the cruise control at 70/72 and try and read the road and anticipate everything I can. People have tunnel vision and when they are mid lane hogging, don't even pay attention to you driving on lane one and wanting and indicating to overtake a lorry while lane 3 is empty (MOVE TO LANE 3!!!). They just don't look anywhere else but forward and you end up braking and accelerating. I've seen, in the stretch that I do on a daily basis, that going at 70/72 indicated (real according to Waze is 68/70) I can get rid of those annoying drivers and even end up with higher mpg on the petrol car I own now. I will have to try and play with the hybrid, but I would not mind a lower mpg if it means getting rid of tunnel vision, mid lane hogger, selfish ****s.

• Like 1

I normally just stay in lane 1 - I find it's often the least congested lane, esp. on the M25, and I'm often burning past lines of cars in lane 2 at 60-70mph because they're all bunching up and slowing down :laugh: 

Even when there's a lorry with me I flick the ACC on and just trail mr stobart as we both slide past the other lanes!

It's one thing I like about following lorry drivers - They are very good at keeping a steady pace, whereas other drivers keep changing speed and braking for no reason which causes the bunch-ups behind them.

The only ones I will overtake are Sainsburys ones as they always seem to be doing exactly 50mph!!

I will say it's become a bit more dangerous on the "Smart" Motorway sections as there's a good chance you'll come across some poor schmuck who broke down and couldn't make it to the layby at least once every few months and is just sitting on the edge of lane 1 and there will be absolutely no warning from the gantrys, guaranteed, so keeping a good separation gap is essential! (A good habit for all roads TBH...)

• Like 1

Prf M25 is like the hell on Earth for motorists... Hate it with a passion.

• Like 3

Well, I am driving exactly on the busiest motorways M25 M1 M40 M11 M4 and M3 plus A1M and I can assure you that majority of trackers are speeding well over their limits. Also on North Circular road especially east London part the speeds are insane, lorries are overtaking cars and well over 60 mph where all vehicles are restricted to 50mph. Coaches are all in as well. Really poor driving standards and obviously they do not care. On motorways road works sections with temporary speed limits of 40 50 or 60 you have to see what the trackers are doing, and even beeping on you if you drive within the limit. I don’t want to get involved otherwise I will install a camera and record them, just not my thing. 👍 And I do drive 200+ miles every night on these motorways, trust me they do what I am saying. Morning times are the worst, it’s not travelling but racing for sure. 🏁🏁🏁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cyker said:

The only ones I will overtake are Sainsburys ones as they always seem to be doing exactly 50mph!!

There trying to save fuel 😉

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links