Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Strong petrol smell inside the car after a full tank refill

bibek

Hi All,

Did a quick search but nothing came back so I assume its not a common issue.

Since owning the car (Toyota Auris Petrol 1.4l) for last 18 months or so, everytime I fill up (normally full tank till the nozzle clicks) I can smell fuel inside the car atleast for the next 10 days.

Smell gets less intense as the fuel is consumed however at the just after a fill up the smell is strong particularly at the back of the car (assume due to the fuel tank location).

The car had recently had gone for a service at a local garage and when specifically asked to look at this issue, they came back with nothing. Its a plastic tank so no corrosion and theres no sign of leak either which I was aware of. Only advice was not to fill up to the brim as the sensors are at the top and the fumes could possibly coming out of there?

I wonder if anyone has had this issue before? Last years service was done at a Toyota Garage and even though I was having this problem then, nothing was highlighted.    

Unfortunately, I really hadn't bothered till now as there is no visible leak but now have a new born so I am hoping to find a resolution.

There is this thread:-

This was an ongoing problem for him.  He has an Auris Mk1 (model before yours).  The situation was complicated by:

• The unknown effect of repaired accident damage to the rear of the car.
  • Rodent damage to the petrol tank breather pipe at the back l/h side of the car - The perforated(rubber) pipe was replaced with one from a scrapyard, but whilst there was a big improvement, he started to detect a petrol smell via the heater.
  • ProfGlenn did mention that he has an unusually good sense of smell. 

I can't remember any other posts on this, apart from some more of ProfGlenn's.

12 minutes ago, Gerg said:

There is this thread:-

This was an ongoing problem for him.  He has an Auris Mk1 (model before yours).  The situation was complicated by:

• The unknown effect of repaired accident damage to the rear of the car.
  • Rodent damage to the petrol tank breather pipe at the back l/h side of the car - The perforated(rubber) pipe was replaced with one from a scrapyard, but whilst there was a big improvement, he started to detect a petrol smell via the heater.
  • ProfGlenn did mention that he has an unusually good sense of smell. 

I can't remember any other posts on this, apart from some more of ProfGlenn's.

Thanks for the response. 

Just for the record, as suggested on ProfGlenns thread, I also tried the turning the blower off when starting the car which doesnt make any difference. 

He states the smell only lasts 15 to 30 seconds but mine is quite persistant. Today driving back from work, it was so bad, had to roll down my windows in this freezning cold weather 🥶 to get fresh air in and thats coming from a guy who likes fuel smell 😅

Mine has not been in an accident so can rule out any damage to the tank and if there was any damage to any pipes/tank for whatever reason, I am sure the garage that serviced the car couple of weeks back would have spotted as I specifically asked them to take a look.

Might have to just fill up half tank next time and see if that makes any difference then slowly increase the amount and maybe thatll indicate atleast whether the problem lies at the top or bottom of the tank? 

ProffGlenn could smell the petrol strongest when standing by the l/h back wheel.  The AA diagnosed the fault eventually, if I remember correctly.

Squirrels were blamed for a holed vent pipe.  Unfortunately, that pipe is only supplied as complete fuel tank assembly from Toyota.

Don't overlook the fact there is a louvered vent or two behind the rear bumper.

P1130473a.thumb.JPG.4996a5c009199dacee28a7dcedf35b81.JPG

There was/is a recall affecting Auris where a crack can form on a pipe coming out of the fuel lift pump on the fuel tank ( just under the rear seat ) check Here for outstanding recalls.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Devon Aygo said:

There was/is a recall affecting Auris where a crack can form on a pipe coming out of the fuel lift pump on the fuel tank ( just under the rear seat ) check Here for outstanding recalls.

That’s right, auris gen 1 were Also included in the recall, I did mine. 

2 minutes ago, Devon Aygo said:

Thanks, have previously checked and just now also . No outstanding recalls for me unfortunately. 

2 minutes ago, Gerg said:

ProffGlenn could smell the petrol when standing by the l/h back wheel.  The AA diagnosed the fault eventually, if I remember correctly.

Squirrels were blamed for a holed vent pipe.  Unfortunately, that pipe is only supplied as complete fuel tank assembly from Toyota.

Don't overlook the fact there is a louvered vent or two behind the rear bumper.

P1130473a.thumb.JPG.4996a5c009199dacee28a7dcedf35b81.JPG

Thanks, I will do the test tomorrow and see if I notice this. Although when doing a cold start while scraping the ice in the morning  its quite rank whatever comes out of the exhaust (much more intense fuel smell?)  

13 minutes ago, bibek said:

Thanks, have previously checked and just now also . No outstanding recalls for me unfortunately. 

It is possible that the gasket for the lift pump was not seated correctly during the Recall ( seen it once ) as it is a fiddly job holding the lift pump in place whikst spinning a 8" retaining ring to lock the pump whilst making sure the gasket does not move.

Checking should be fairly simple, remove the rear seat base, you will see a removable metal plate/cover with a wire harness passing through it, gently peel this off and you will see the lift pump/top of tank and should be able see/smell if this the cause.

14 minutes ago, Devon Aygo said:

It is possible that the gasket for the lift pump was not seated correctly during the Recall ( seen it once ) as it is a fiddly job holding the lift pump in place whikst spinning a 8" retaining ring to lock the pump whilst making sure the gasket does not move.

Checking should be fairly simple, remove the rear seat base, you will see a removable metal plate/cover with a wire harness passing through it, gently peel this off and you will see the lift pump/top of tank and should be able see/smell if this the cause.

Thanks, Will take a look over the weekend and report back.