Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rear Axle Beam for 2005 model

Corolla_2005

I have a Toyota Corolla 1.6 VVT-i (manufactured in 2005) - my local garage informs me that the rear axle beam needs replacing due to rust (it's not dangerous, but it does need doing this year - I don't drive the car that much).

Unfortunately he's having a problem finding a second hand replacement - he could get a new one from Toyota but that costs a massive £1500 !

Does anyone have any suggestion as to a possible source for a good condition second hand replacement?

Thanks

Any pictures of the rust ? is it surface rust or is it holed, cut the rust out and plate it - get another opinion ?

edit. ask the seller

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-COROLLA-BREAKING-ALSO-OTHERS-SEE-INSIDE/153546461301?fits=Model%3ACorolla|Cars+Year%3A2005&hash=item23c0151075:g:bPwAAOSwZexdF0Ro

Hi,

Do you realy trust your local garage  ..?   the rear beam is one solid piece of metal.

Usually give it a spray of some anti-corrosion product once a year but just so the surface rust does not look so bad for the Mot, though even if it was rusting they usually give an advisory long before its classed as a failure.

I have replaced the front wishbones , more a known rust item, the front equivalents of the rear beam, as they were rusting and the rubbers deteriorating .

Think it will be an easy enough item to get hold of as do not think its an item many folk are after, though shipping will not be cheap for such a big ,heavy item.

Are you in a coastal area, where the salt will compound the rusting ?

17 hours ago, flash22 said:

Any pictures of the rust ? is it surface rust or is it holed, cut the rust out and plate it - get another opinion ?

edit. ask the seller

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-COROLLA-BREAKING-ALSO-OTHERS-SEE-INSIDE/153546461301?fits=Model%3ACorolla|Cars+Year%3A2005&hash=item23c0151075:g:bPwAAOSwZexdF0Ro

I don't have any photos of the rust I'm afraid. It's more of a 'tap it and listen' issue as it definitely doesn't sound as solid as it should.

Thanks very much for the link, I'll look into that.

17 hours ago, oldcodger said:

Hi,

Do you realy trust your local garage  ..?   the rear beam is one solid piece of metal.

Usually give it a spray of some anti-corrosion product once a year but just so the surface rust does not look so bad for the Mot, though even if it was rusting they usually give an advisory long before its classed as a failure.

I have replaced the front wishbones , more a known rust item, the front equivalents of the rear beam, as they were rusting and the rubbers deteriorating .

Think it will be an easy enough item to get hold of as do not think its an item many folk are after, though shipping will not be cheap for such a big ,heavy item.

Are you in a coastal area, where the salt will compound the rusting ?

My local garage is excellent, I trust the guy implicitly (he's been servicing my cars for about 15 years) and he's a good guy to deal with.

Thanks for the advice. It seems to be a very difficult item to get hold of (second hand) which makes me wonder if it's a 'common' problem with this model, meaning that other Corollas of the same model and age may have the same issue?

Having said that, yes I'm in a coastal area (about a mile from the sea) and due to salt in the air things do tend to rust fairly readily where I live.

Hi,

Sounds like you are happy with that garage, just that some folk say 'their' garage , but its not one that have used more than the odd time.

As mentioned I would have thought the front wishbones would have beeen affected before as they do rust, though not a major problem in that sense, but they are just a simple bolt on job and cost around £60* a side.  ( * First Line decent quality after market parts, but no rear beam)

Have followed this forum for 10+ years and never read about any problem with the rear beam, as said its one big peice of metal.

What is a potential problem, though at 15 years old, should be kept in context, is that the front and rear brake splash panels can corrode away and that the rear brake pipes where they join the rubber hose can corrode.

Unless you mechanic can find one at a breakers yard you will be out of luck, plus as the last  UK Corolla was made in 2006, so any second hand one is going to be rusty to some degree.

Something he could follow up on,  the "corolla" has sold in Ireland since 2007 and here in the uk as the Auris,  wonder if they have identical rear beam that could be used, being later built they would be less rusty ?

Might be time for something newer ??

I vaguely recall that the front wishbones were replaced a few years ago, The rear brake pipes were also recently replaced. I'll check regarding the splash panels.

He looked into using the rear beam of the Auris but unfortunately it's not the same as the one used on the Corolla.

As for getting another car, I like the car and don't want to replace it unless I really have to. I may look into it though, maybe start a new thread here.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links