Sign in to follow this  
Jinty

Rav4 T180 - Put petrol into tank should have been diesel

HELP I put petrol into diesel RAV4 T180 tank , terrible sound like mangled metal.  I had it drained and filters cleaned but the mpg is dropping rapidly, is there anything I can do to reverse this?  Was 34 mpg now 30.4 over a matter of 4 months.  Thank you.

Never had this problem although I believe if you do misfuel and it causes harm then the damage isn't a gradual thing - I think fairly quickly the fuel pump and/or the injectors give up.

Four months is a long time and it's worth bearing in mind around October time the UK switches to winter diesel and this reduces MPG by a bit. Also, in my experience diesel engines are very sensitive to temperature, I see roughly a 10% difference between driving at temps of 0-5 vs 10-15 degrees; so if you combine that with the falling temperatures from Oct->Jan I would say that's the more likely explanation.

I have a feeling you may be over worrying.

As above reply. I would say that if any engine damage occurred from the mis-fueling, you would know by now. Maybe try some additive in the fuel?

Have you not noticed in previous winters that your fuel consumption usually goes up (worse). This is due to winter temperatures dropping. Conversely, come the warmer weather and you should see the fuel consumption lower (better). 

How long/far did you run it with the wrong fuel?