Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

I have a 2005 Corolla (1.6 vvt-i) - what's a good Toyota replacement?

Corolla_2005

I have a 2005 Corolla, 1.6 vvt-i hatchback - I MAY need to buy a replacement car this year, it will have to be second hand and less than £5,000. What's a good Toyota equivalent to my current model?

I'd want something of a similar size and engine power. Nothing flashy, but also not something which looks a bit puny and naff. 🙂

Must be a manual too, not automatic.

Any recommendations please?

Hi, you can just upgrade to Auris 2010 onwards 1.6 manual, well within the budget, pretty much same as Corolla that you have, just newer model. 

• Like 1

Hi,

Yes, the Auris should be a good choice just a few mm bigger than your  old model Corolla;  a late 2014 or post facelift 2015 model should be doable for around £5-6k.

Prices should be dropping now the new Corolla is around.

Just a little smaller is the Yaris, again going for a later model, and some have CVT if you are fed up with gearchanges, though not driven one myself, think its sometihng you like or not.

Thanks for the recommendations regarding the Auris.

I didn't even realise that there was a new Corolla, I can't afford one but is it any good? 🙂

Hi,

Most of the forum posts are currently about the New 2019/20 Corolla, though most problems seem to relate to using the tech stuff rather than actual motoring quality, prices from around £22k to £29 k .

Not been able to find a rear beam ?  - assume you are driving the car, or has the garage failed it or says it will fail the next mot, whenever that is ?

> Not been able to find a rear beam ?  - assume you are driving the car, or has the garage failed it or says it will fail the next mot, whenever that is ?

Yup, still driving the Corolla, the garage has emphasised that the rear axle isn't going to fail for some time but that it will need replacing this year (I don't drive the car that much).

Well your problem has prompted my to give mine a bit of a makeover,  I have sprayed it with grease etc before, but will now give it a powered wire brushing anda full anti rust treatment.

Sounds like your garage is not saying it would fail a mot anytime soon, so probably worth keeping it for a while , or longer if you are able to give it a similar rust treatment, though a messy job under the car, if thats you thing .. ?

Equally now and in March is a good time to look out for an Auris as the new 2020 plate comes out and folk trading up, though have to say not many around on Toyota dealers sites under £10k

• Like 1

Hi, 

yes there is a new Corolla at the moment, very trendy car imo. Corolla actually has always been around but with different name  (Auris) in UK and Europe. Now for the beam, I believe that the rust is only a bad rust all around the beam but surface rust, which can be repaired or if really is too bad, you can shop around and get the one which is in best shape, don’t buy from rear or side damaged car though, those can have damaged beam too. Get the “new” one and you or the garage can recondition it with sand blast and rust proof  treatment plus a new paint, than new bushings and you have a good rear for another 8-10 years, if you want to keep the car, or until you win the lottery and get the new Corolla 2020.. 😉, this is what I would have done. 
Regards 

Had been looking at the Auris myself and seen this one not too far away.

Not sure how good the older 1.33 engine is ,but again not sure what year the newer 1.2 was introduced ?

Seems this one is the Icon with 16" wheels which are bigger than my 15" , so does  that affects the ride comfort much ?

The real trouble with Private purchases these days is the Log Book Loans which is still waiting for a law to be passed to make selling a car with one illegal, though do wonder what happens if you buy one from a dealer and find that they took it in, not knowig a LBL was on it ?

000054.jpg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links