Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2007 Avensis 2.4 high oil consumption

JamesCStockholm

Have recently relocated to Sweden and bought a 2007 facelift t250 2.4 auto estate with 198k km on the clock. The car seems to be consuming huge amounts of oil, had the oil changed in December and it’s already down to the minimum on the dipstick after only doing about 1000 miles. I read that there were issues with the AZ engine consuming oil but thought they were confined to US vehicles. Has anyone encountered a similar problem? I realise they’re a pretty rare care in the U.K as they weren’t on sale long. 

Hope someone has an answer, I’m spending a fortune on oil!

Thanks in advance 

Sorry to hear the sad news. My friend has exactly the same issue. Avensis 2.4 high oil consumption. I think it is a common issue on these models.

Yes it happens to some of the cars, it´s usually the pistonrings that get stuck in piston grooves. 
There is some cheap "bodge" type of "repairs"  you could try, but it´s on your own risk and not a proper repair. 

Google on "SAAB wd40 metoden"  to read up on it

I´m actually just about to try that "repair" on my sisters 2,0 T25 MY04 for the same issue

Thanks Robert and Bempa for the replies, I will google the SAAB WD40 fix. Am measuring the oil consumption at the moment and am hoping it’s at a level which I can live with as I’m sure piston ring replacement won’t be cheap (especially here in Sweden). 

On a side note pretty disappointed with the performance of the 2.4, it feels gutless unless you really floor it. Don’t know if that’s related to the piston issue or that’s just the way they are. 

You can also try seafom, Americans have had decent success getting the piston rings free, and clearing up carbon deposits.

Sadly, not many people on the forum who had that issue have tried it, most of them just complain and live it, don't know why, you just let it soak overnight, crank a bit to get it out and drive, not that hard.

Hm...perhaps an option would be to look for a second hand engine but then you have a quite high chance that it will have the same issue as I believe this is quite common on the 2.4.

Did you go to a mechanic to check the compression levels? Also do you get any check engine lights on the dash?

Yesterday I started the "repair" on my sisters car, Avensis T25 MY03 2,0 1azfse.

At first i run the engine up to operating temperature, then I took a compression test. 

Cyl 1 = 12kg   Cyl 2 = 9,75kg  Cyl 3 = 12,5kg Cyl 4 = 5kg 😲

After that i pured in a bootle of enginge flush, let it idle for 10min, shut the engine off then I put wd40 in cyl 2 and 4.

Tonight I will check if the wd40 is still present in cylinders or if it have drained down in the oil pan. 

If the wd40 have drained down I will put more wd40 in the cylinder 2 and 4 and let it sit for another night

When i checked it yesterday the WD40 had drained down to the oil pan in both cylinders. I filled them up again and then

I started to dig in to replace the clutch master cylinder, when i had to end it for the evening i checked the cylinders again, cyl 2 had drained the wd40 once again

but cyl 4 is still holding the wd40 now. 

So I filled up cyl 2 once again and called it night. 

Hoping for some good results, thanks for updating the topic.

Update: 

When I checked the engine yesterday both cylinders where dry again, so filled them upp once again.

It seems like cyl 4 has improved atleast (since it´s holding the fluid much longer then cyl 2 now) but not quite there yet. 

Well i will give this a couple more days, otherwise I might try something else, maybe diesel

Thanks for all the updates Bempa, very interesting to see the results of your compression test, that will be my next task. There are no dashboard lights on Robert. Not looking at engine replacement as I can’t afford it and as you say the donor engine will likely have the same issue. My first choice was the Honda Accord 2.4, maybe I should have stayed with that?!

Maybe a mix of bit harsher driving, then another go with WD40 will help loosen it up a bit more.

Have you thought about using Seafom (the product, not actual seafom), which should be made for that?

Update again: 

Cylinders drained again, filled them up once again while finsihing up on the clutch master replacement, when I was done both cylinders still hold the wd40, wich is an improvement for cyl 2.

13 hours ago, JamesCStockholm said:

Thanks for all the updates Bempa, very interesting to see the results of your compression test, that will be my next task. There are no dashboard lights on Robert. Not looking at engine replacement as I can’t afford it and as you say the donor engine will likely have the same issue. My first choice was the Honda Accord 2.4, maybe I should have stayed with that?!

Yes I will keep on updating, It will be intersting to se what compression there is in your engine. For me cyl 4 was very low and most likely causing the problems with idling that is experienced with this car also

12 hours ago, furtula said:

Maybe a mix of bit harsher driving, then another go with WD40 will help loosen it up a bit more.

Have you thought about using Seafom (the product, not actual seafom), which should be made for that?

Yes I have also been thinking that I could do another run of driving and then another go with WD40
I would really like to try the Seafoam but I can´t seem to find it in any car parts shops here in Sweden

Yeah, i think only way to get it is via online retailer, i doubt any local shops in EU also hold it.

I see Amazon uk has it for 16 GBP + 8 GBP shipping to Sweden., but maybe somewhere it's cheaper.

Still, WD40 is much more readily available, so it would be nice if that worked out fine.

Looking forward to the compression test.

The cheaper Seafoam is usually the fuel additive injector cleaner/oil flush type, not the cylinder cleaning type. You need to check and be sure.

I don't think WD40 will help a lot. Its a water displacing product, not a solvent.

In Sweden you should be able to buy Liqui Moly LM 2427 Pro-Line Engine Flush 500 ml.

Get the engine hot. Add the LM2427.  Drive the car a few kilometres - use high rpm fequently.  Then drain the oil and replace along with new filter.

Time for an update again, 

On friday evening the cyl were drained again, filled them up, On saturday i had to fill them up again. 

But on sunday, success. The wd40 was still in cylinders. So I pulled the wd40 out of cylinders with vacuum, changed oil with filter,  dropped litte fresh engine oil back in cylinders to help with lubrication on start up

I started the engine, let it get up to operating temperature, took it out for a drive. 

Made a compression test again, cyl 2 and cyl 4 have 13kg of compression now 😎

Now i´m moving on to sort the P2008 trouble code that´s stored in the engine ECU

• Like 2

Nice, i hope it stays that way and the oil consumption goes down.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, what's the update on the oil consumption. Did WD40 do the trick. Interesting to see some long term results.

Thanks and Regards, 

On 3/2/2020 at 8:13 AM, Bempa said:

Time for an update again, 

On friday evening the cyl were drained again, filled them up, On saturday i had to fill them up again. 

But on sunday, success. The wd40 was still in cylinders. So I pulled the wd40 out of cylinders with vacuum, changed oil with filter,  dropped litte fresh engine oil back in cylinders to help with lubrication on start up

I started the engine, let it get up to operating temperature, took it out for a drive. 

Made a compression test again, cyl 2 and cyl 4 have 13kg of compression now 😎

Now i´m moving on to sort the P2008 trouble code that´s stored in the engine ECU

How's the Avensis holding up?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I´m sorry for not seeing this earlier, i dont seem to get notifications and my "followed" content seems to stop being followed.

But the car is working fine, no sign of  oil consumption yet, But im only about 500km in to testing yet. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

Have the same issue in my Avensis 2.4... Bempa - can you give some updates on your oil consumption? Btw. which oil are you using in Avensis? I switched to Motul 8100 5w-30 Eco-Nergy and see that oil consumption is less but still about 1L/1000 km.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/3/2020 at 7:03 PM, NovaP said:

Hi Guys,

Have the same issue in my Avensis 2.4... Bempa - can you give some updates on your oil consumption? Btw. which oil are you using in Avensis? I switched to Motul 8100 5w-30 Eco-Nergy and see that oil consumption is less but still about 1L/1000 km.

HI, It´s still going strong and no oil consumption . The oil I´m using is Castrol 10w40. I use that oil in all my petrol cars