Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Advice on selling my late fathers 1999* Twin Turbo Supra

MrKingg

Hi,

My father used to be a gold member of this forum and i've come back looking for some advice on selling my late fathers Toyota Supra and hopeing this is the best place to ask. I apologise for my lack of knowledge beforehand but I’m trying to best to make sure i get the right price for this car as it used to be my dad’s prized possession, the specifications of the supra are as follows:

- Japanese import first made in 1994 and imported in the UK in 1999 and purchased 2001
- 32,000 on the clock
- Manual transmission
- 3.0L engine
- Light weight fly wheel fitted
- Had spent around £8,000 on the car overall ontop of sale price & usual maintenance costs
- Twin turbo
- Is running

- Will need some paintwork care (picture attached shows the main issue)

Now it is a nice car and has a lot of engine work done to it (re-mapped etc) but it has been sitting for a while and needs a good clean and some paintwork doing to it but I still believe if it was sold to the right owner they could make this car shine once again.
Now all I’m really asking for is some guidance on price and if there is any way to sell this car, we’re not looking to plunge any more money we’d rather factor the cost of any jobs needed such as the paintwork against the sale price.

Please feel free to have a browse of the pictures and I’ll be happy to try answer any of the questions, I’m just trying to make sure I do my dad proud and sell this car properly as much as possible.

Link to pictures: https://imgur.com/a/p5No79b (please note these pictures are pre any detailing or valet which its booked in for now)

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Fellow Supra owners are actually a bad bunch to ask this question, as we are usually the hardest ones the car and pulling down prices, and often really badly to our own expense. This site is also a dead end for supra's. You never see anyone one here, nor are they interested (god knows I've tried)

If you were to ask on the general UK supra forums(like mkivsupra.net) or the supra Facebook sites, you will prob get told 18-20, which I totally disagree with. Just look at supply and demand in the market, and I think it's 25-30 easy, or even a fair amount more if you can bring a bit more info into the equation.

You have the advantage of a twin turbo, 6 speed with Very low milage and which appears in excellent condition. I'll assume there is no rush to sell, plus there's astonishingly few of those cars around in a supra market that's continuing to grow in demand. You hold an easy 3 aces in a poker hand. 

Against you will be the question of - why does a 1994 car have vvti engine from a 1997 model in it? It's not a bad thing at all, its just need the story either way. I suspect the car is actually 1997 or newer model which also gives the car more value, but then you have to explain that roof damage, which I would actually get fixed first.

If you have the original removed parts, then that just adds more value, as will any and all documentation.

Remember Many people buying supras are outright hypocrites who will put it down for the body kit and modifications, and say it devalues the car. These are usually the same people who buy OEM cars only to modify them to hell themselves, and don't tell you how easy it to fix all that. Don't let low ballers con you about difficulties in retro fitting that interior or body kit. Those wheels are also fairly desirable. 

If I were you, I wouldn't sell at all unless you really want the money, if it's emotional painful (just lost my mother, so I know the felling) or if cars bore you.

If it appeals to you at all, I'd get the roof sorted, keep what is one of the best weekend touring toys you can have, and drive the hell out of it. (Trust me, I'm about to do another 1000 mile GT tour of the UK in mine)

You've got real world supercar performance, with supercar looks, arguably the greatest tube-ability of any car, virtual pre-invites to all  at shows you want, a reliability level the envy of every other sports car there is, in a manual, low milage, high performance car, with a market where price is continuing to appreciate for these cars. There isn't much to match it unless you get into the supercar brands and cars such as an Aston DB9 or higher.

If you have to sell, get it all sorted by making it  mint condition and documented, then start at 30-35 I say. That milage alone is a winner against most others at 150+ with 25k price tags.

4 minutes ago, Supra_knight said:

Fellow Supra owners are actually a bad bunch to ask this question, as we are usually the hardest ones the car and pulling down prices, and often really badly to our own expense. This site is also a dead end for supra's. You never see anyone one here, nor are they interested (god knows I've tried)

If you were to ask on the general UK supra forums(like mkivsupra.net) or the supra Facebook sites, you will prob get told 18-20, which I totally disagree with. Just look at supply and demand in the market, and I think it's 25-30 easy, or even a fair amount more if you can bring a bit more info into the equation.

You have the advantage of a twin turbo, 6 speed with Very low milage and which appears in excellent condition. I'll assume there is no rush to sell, plus there's astonishingly few of those cars around in a supra market that's continuing to grow in demand. You hold an easy 3 aces in a poker hand. 

Against you will be the question of - why does a 1994 car have vvti engine from a 1997 model in it? It's not a bad thing at all, its just need the story either way. I suspect the car is actually 1997 or newer model which also gives the car more value, but then you have to explain that roof damage, which I would actually get fixed first.

If you have the original removed parts, then that just adds more value, as will any and all documentation.

Remember Many people buying supras are outright hypocrites who will put it down for the body kit and modifications, and say it devalues the car. These are usually the same people who buy OEM cars only to modify them to hell themselves, and don't tell you how easy it to fix all that. Don't let low ballers con you about difficulties in retro fitting that interior or body kit. Those wheels are also fairly desirable. 

If I were you, I wouldn't sell at all unless you really want the money, if it's emotional painful (just lost my mother, so I know the felling) or if cars bore you.

If it appeals to you at all, I'd get the roof sorted, keep what is one of the best weekend touring toys you can have, and drive the hell out of it. (Trust me, I'm about to do another 1000 mile GT tour of the UK in mine)

You've got real world supercar performance, with supercar looks, arguably the greatest tube-ability of any car, virtual pre-invites to all  at shows you want, a reliability level the envy of every other sports car there is, in a manual, low milage, high performance car, with a market where price is continuing to appreciate for these cars. There isn't much to match it unless you get into the supercar brands and cars such as an Aston DB9 or higher.

If you have to sell, get it all sorted by making it  mint condition and documented, then start at 30-35 I say. That milage alone is a winner against most others at 150+ with 25k price tags.

Firstly thank you so much for such a detailed post.

I'll be totally honest i'm looking to sell this car not because i want to but i need my mum to have the money from it due to circumstances of my fathers recent death.

It is a lovely car and i'm not a car person but i know my dad has put hours of love and thousands into this even the audio alone it cost a small fortune, so if i'm going to have to sell it i want to make sure he's proud of what ive got for it, not just selling it sell for nothing.

So i will weigh up a few things and get quotes of fixing the needed stuff aslong it doesn't go into multiple thousands which i'm unsure whether were ready to pay out.

But i will note all this done and get more notes and documentation together so i can feel confident in the sale.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links