Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Traction controle.

Auris James

I have a 2015 Auris Hybrid estate in Icon plus trim and wondered how you turn off the traction control? Haven't seen a button like on a Lexus IS 220d.

can you turn it off? Useful in winter to get going in snow. Today our car park is flooded so wanted to get up a slope onto the grass bank like I managed to yesterday, but couldn't get far today as  wheel spinning and power cut. Annoyingly my rwd Volvo with winter tyres sailed up! My Auris is the blue car on the far bank!

James.

Auris.jpg

I have the saloon version of this car and noticed this too, there's no traction control off button.

I think there's a way to put the car into service mode to disable traction control but I would be very wary of this.

I have seen several warnings not to drive in service mode as this could damage the inverter.

• Sad 1

Thanks for your reply. Oh dear! Don't get it in mud or snow then! How is the Auris in snow? I would of disabled it to try to get going. When current tyres worn out will consider all season. Winters on my Volvo are great.

James.

2 hours ago, Auris James said:

Thanks for your reply. Oh dear! Don't get it in mud or snow then! How is the Auris in snow? I would of disabled it to try to get going. When current tyres worn out will consider all season. Winters on my Volvo are great.

James.

James, not had any serious snow so far, so I can't tell how this car drives in snow.

I have snow socks, which are great for short distance at low speed

• Thanks 1

Thanks to the further replies. I'm not going to try do disable Tc as may risk damage and may not be an authorised method by toyota. I'll use my Volvo if winter becomes very bad as has winter tyres.

James.

There should be a TRC/VSC switch just in front of the gearlever where the heated seat switches live. Picture of a car, with a squiggle under it and the word OFF.

Quick press should disable the traction control. A long press disables the stability control as well.

Hi, 

if your auris hasn’t got tc off button just set the car into maintenance mode and get going, let the tyres spin but don’t rev too high, nothing will happen to the transmission. There is a guy in US that puts his Prius gen 3 into maintenance mode and race it through mountain roads, done it many times without problems. What happened to you on the grass happened to me to with brand new winter tyres. This traction control is very useful if only one of the wheels spins then the car detects it clip the brakes and sends power to the wheel with traction, very helpful, but if two driving wheels spins it’s all lost, power is cut off completely. Once on ice I wanted to get the car on the curb, front left tyre was touching the curb and front right sitting on 100% ice, I press the accelerator the right tyre has spun a bit and tc kick in the car managed to get on the curb, without tc this would have not happened. Even with winter tyres if you are in situation where both driving wheels are loosing grip, that’s it, the power is completely off, so you are not going anywhere. There are some funny videos on YouTube how awkward is to drive Prius in snow when similar things happened. You can use the maintenance mode, just to get you going, then stop, restart the car and here you go. 
Regards 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, MagicBoy said:

There should be a TRC/VSC switch just in front of the gearlever where the heated seat switches live.

Sadly, this was not fitted to the  ->2015 model cars.

TC is part of the ESC/TRC/VSC+, you should have the ESC/TRC/VSC off button (pic of a skidding car and the word OFF)

edit. its shown in every manual 2014-18 as a standard feature

Mk2 Auris hybrid. Its not unheard of the production line running out of parts and not fitting the part and taping the loom up, Have a look and see if the loom is there if so add the switch

auris.thumb.jpg.98c876ec975fabb3e494592da8b0d975.jpg

• Thanks 1

Thanks. Want to pop in to the dealer and upgrade the headlamp bulbs to optibright as not great at night. Need to take one out and see if not done by previous owner. I'll as about if the wiring is there.

James.