Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Find Me A Yaris Hybrid! (Sequel to Find Me An Auris Hybrid!)

Wayne2015

Just now, snowBALLs said:

Tracing is the difficult part with panels and trims, fixing it will be even more difficult for me!

Look back on my thread - I bought an OEM wing indicator (translucent part of wing mirror) from eBay about £11 and cheap as chips bulb and did it myself :thumbsup:

25 minutes ago, Wayne2015 said:

Look back on my thread - I bought an OEM wing indicator (translucent part of wing mirror) from eBay about £11 and cheap as chips bulb and did it myself :thumbsup:

How's that going to help me? 😭 

Door panels is easy to remove a few screws and the rest is clips (trim tool required)

Finally, figured out the passenger auto window, i broke down and purchased a module, it works with the non auto switch but the way its built fitting the illuminated auto switch isn't hard

bench tested it and it seems to do the trick

• Like 1

1 hour ago, snowBALLs said:

How's that going to help me? 😭 

Not the trouble-shooting, silly!

Just the replacing the bulb bit :clap:

• Haha 1

On 5/13/2020 at 6:31 PM, flash22 said:

Door panels is easy to remove a few screws and the rest is clips (trim tool required)

Finally, figured out the passenger auto window, i broke down and purchased a module, it works with the non auto switch but the way its built fitting the illuminated auto switch isn't hard

bench tested it and it seems to do the trick

I can handle removing door panel or even the whole sun-roof! 💪 

But, ONLY if it's an 80s car :whistling: 

:band:

23 hours ago, snowBALLs said:

Left mirror indicator bulb is not working, finally I have come round to trying to sort it out. Change the bulb but still isn't working with 3 other bulbs! 😤 Haven't got a multimeter with me so improvised by using a 9v battery to test the bulbs, all those bulbs are working fine! 

You fixed yet, bud? :help:

My good tyres (driver side):

Rear : 4 years old

Front : 2 years old 

IMG_20200514_170019.jpg

IMG_20200514_170038.jpg

My bad tyres (passenger side):

Front: 6 years old but, CRACKLING all around the tyre on the edges :jawdrop:

But, it does have GREEN STUFF brake pads (I think) :driving:

QUESTION: Shall I replace it IMMEDIATELY (as once the lockdown is over, I will be commuting on motorway daily) ? :helpsmilie:

IMG_20200514_170053.jpg

IMG_20200514_170109.jpg

IMG_20200514_170125.jpg

Passenger REAR : 4 years old, but HUGE CHUNKS of rubber missing! :jawdrop:

QUESTION: Again, shall I change it immediately? :help:

IMG_20200514_170138.jpg

IMG_20200514_170153.jpg

IMG_20200514_170207.jpg

13 minutes ago, Wayne2015 said:

Passenger REAR : 4 years old, but HUGE CHUNKS of rubber missing! :jawdrop:

QUESTION: Again, shall I change it immediately? :help:

IMG_20200514_170138.jpg

IMG_20200514_170153.jpg

IMG_20200514_170207.jpg

Wayne it’s not safe to drive anymore on those tyres, especially on a motorway where high speed is involved. The three main safety issues on a car, are tyres steering and brakes. If any one of those are not in good condition, then it’s an accident waiting to happen. For not only your own safety, and for other road users change them asap.

• Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Wayne2015 said:

You fixed yet, bud? :help:

Haven't got the strength to take it on just yet lol. 

Will be ordering some led interior bulbs to replace the halogen in the boot and cabin lights. Cheapy eBay, hope they work and decent. 

New tyres all 4 corners on mine since January, haven't had much use. Will take 2.5-3 years before they need replacing for my mileage, hopefully no damage in the process etc. 

Your tyres hold pressure, so I don't think it's a danger. Depends how much tread it has left. 

8 minutes ago, Bernard Foy said:

Wayne it’s not safe to drive anymore on those tyres, especially on a motorway where high speed is involved. The three main safety issues on a car, are tyres steering and brakes. If any one of those are not in good condition, then it’s an accident waiting to happen. For not only your own safety, and for other road users change them asap.

Cheers Bernard, was thinking the same - but not sure any tyre places open in my area yet :g:

4 minutes ago, snowBALLs said:

Haven't got the strength to take it on just yet lol. 

Will be ordering some led interior bulbs to replace the halogen in the boot and cabin lights. Cheapy eBay, hope they work and decent. 

New tyres all 4 corners on mine since January, haven't had much use. Will take 2.5-3 years before they need replacing for my mileage, hopefully no damage in the process etc. 

Your tyres hold pressure, so I don't think it's a danger. Depends how much tread it has left. 

Strength?

Can you hold up a full pint? :cheers: 

If I was commuting slower speed, might keep it longer - but on motorway -eeek! :Jumpy:

9 minutes ago, Wayne2015 said:

Cheers Bernard, was thinking the same - but not sure any tyre places open in my area yet :g:

I would be loath to be on the motorway with those tyres, try other routes if possible, if not, do not use excessive speed stay below 60MPH. Good luck 🍀 

• Thanks 1

Yep, definitely change all four. Very bad cracking and sidewall damage.

My Auris tyres are 5 years old but still usable with very slight cracking on front tyres. Have around 4mm left. Will change next year. Continental eco contact 2.

James.

26 minutes ago, Bernard Foy said:

I would be loath to be on the motorway with those tyres, try other routes if possible, if not, do not use excessive speed stay below 60MPH. Good luck 🍀 

I drove with those tyres at 70-80mph when I first bought it

Since then only driven ONE day to work (just before lockdown!)

Now, only drive 60-70mph on by-pass once a week to shop....so holding out so far - but do worry about a blow out :Jumpy:

2 minutes ago, Auris James said:

Yep, definitely change all four. Very bad cracking and sidewall damage.

My Auris tyres are 5 years old but still usable with very slight cracking on front tyres. Have around 4mm left. Will change next year. Continental eco contact 2.

James.

Those Continentals any good in snow ?

11 minutes ago, Wayne2015 said:

Those Continentals any good in snow ?

No. I doubt it as summer tyres. Is it just 2 that show damage? If so certainly a pair needed. James. 

Use a mobile tyre service like these. Not used them, just an example.

https://www.national.co.uk/mobile-tyre-fitting

• Thanks 1

For me I usually change the tyres after buying a pre owned car. One reason is you only see one side of the tyre and you don’t know how the previous owner has treated them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, Anthony Poli said:

For me I usually change the tyres after buying a pre owned car. One reason is you only see one side of the tyre and you don’t know how the previous owner has treated them.

Even from a main dealer? :g:

Yes even from a dealer, as they will fit the cheapest Chinese ditch finders going

The tyre subject is a can of worms as its down to personal opinions, I'm happy with the Avon's on mine, but we rarely see snow, continentals are very soft compound

Have a look on blackcircles.com at the all season tyres

• Thanks 1

Even from a main dealer? :g:

Yes, unless they are fairly new and are all matching. Then I might leave them on for a while.

Remember the first Auris I had. They put the 2 original tyres on the driver’s side and cheap crap on the passenger side. Had a scary moment when I hit a patch of standing water on the motorway. Instead of going back to the dealer, I swapped the tyres so that the Michelin’s were on the same axle,so it was safer until I had all 4 replaced.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Anthony Poli said:

Yes, unless they are fairly new and are all matching. Then I might leave them on for a while.

Remember the first Auris I had. They put the 2 original tyres on the driver’s side and cheap crap on the passenger side. Had a scary moment when I hit a patch of standing water on the motorway. Instead of going back to the dealer, I swapped the tyres so that the Michelin’s were on the same axle,so it was safer until I had all 4 replaced.

Perhaps they had the car as trade in, sold it on to you without bothering to change the setup? If they put it on that way then it's clearly not so clever. 

I have always managed fine with used tyres from car purchase. Then once worn I get tyres I wanted, can afford rather. 

26 minutes ago, snowBALLs said:

Perhaps they had the car as trade in, sold it on to you without bothering to change the setup? If they put it on that way then it's clearly not so clever. 

I have always managed fine with used tyres from car purchase. Then once worn I get tyres I wanted, can afford rather. 

my way of thinking is you get the best what you can afford, if its anything like mine i had 2 odd Chinese ditch finders (like racing slicks in the wet) on the front of the yaris, i got a punture on the rear within a few weeks so i got new tyres so had a matching set all around - if the tyres are worn i change them as an axle pair

considering it's only the tyre between you stopping or not, it is a worthwhile investing in good tyres

19 minutes ago, flash22 said:

my way of thinking is you get the best what you can afford, if its anything like mine i had 2 odd Chinese ditch finders (like racing slicks in the wet) on the front of the yaris, i got a punture on the rear within a few weeks so i got new tyres so had a matching set all around - if the tyres are worn i change them as an axle pair

considering it's only the tyre between you stopping or not, it is a worthwhile investing in good tyres

Very true. When I was first driving at 18 and being a student, could only afford cheaper Asian tyres. Managed ok because my driving then were slow city and very occasionally motorway or country roads.

Nowadays i can afford more, have better knowledge about tyres as well as driving conditions changed to more involved country roads and motorways. Mid to premium range tyres now & A rated for wet summer tyres. Over the past 8 years my car's had continental/falken/Dunlop/Goodyear.