Wayne2015

Find Me A Yaris Hybrid! (Sequel to Find Me An Auris Hybrid!)

Recommended Posts

175 is not the profile, it's the width.  If you're going to go wider with the width, you have to come down with the profile, which will have an effect on the suspension, too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, snowBALLs said:

Then you are better of getting all season tyres for next winter. It's not about being over the hill 🙂 safety should be high priority. 

I had the bad futune of 175 profile and it's absolutely pathetic. Now my car has 185 it's a lot better, although once this set is worn I will go 195. 

I had Michelin CrossClimate on my Auris for 5 years - a bit of snow, and to me with a bit more torque and my Auris is slipping - had none of that when I had winters :thumbup1: 

 

Hearing what you say, shall I get 16" steels instead (of 15") then? 🤔 

 

Isn't it the SMALLER the rims, the BIGGER the the profile, the MORE comfy over bumps they are???? 🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All season isn't snow tyres so will not perform great in snow, better than summers of course. It depends how much snow days where you are and how bad it is. 

Can still get 15" wheels with winter tyres of 195/60/15 - this profile has more air than your current one; though your current profile is fine. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Stivino said:

175 is not the profile, it's the width.  If you're going to go wider with the width, you have to come down with the profile, which will have an effect on the suspension, too.

Eh?

 

I always thought profile = ratio = depth of tyre from rim to outside of tyre? No 🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, snowBALLs said:

All season isn't snow tyres so will not perform great in snow, better than summers of course. It depends how much snow days where you are and how bad it is. 

Can still get 15" wheels with winter tyres of 195/60/15 - this profile has more air than your current one; though your current profile is fine. 

 

Ok confused :confused1: 

 

I need to do about 15,000 miles a year

Mostly motorway , so I will be driving constantly at 60mph to :

1. Conserve fuel

2. Extend life of tyres

 

 

considering winter is getting cold (sub7 degrees) hence winter tyres help for safety PLUS useful WHEN and IF it snows ☃️ 

 

What would you recommend me for a whimp who is scare when it snows (even those 1-2 weeks of the year!) :yahoo: 

1. Just stick with the 16" summer tyres

 

2. Get all season tyres

 

3. Get a set of winter tyres (non-nordic) at 16"

 

4. Get a set of 15" winter tyres :help:

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stick to the wheel and tyre sizes that Toyota designed for the car, they know best.

Fit winter tyres in the winter if it would make you feel safer.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Changing wheel or tyre sizes would be a modification insurers would be interested in knowing about, whether or not it results in an increase in premium.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any one of the above it’s fine without staying on summer tyres. You can change the size too or stick with the same size, new wheels and tyres for the winter, as mentioned choose a size that is recommended as oem by the manufacturer even though it’s not for your trim level or equipment. Don’t go for 175 tyres on 15” wheels, 185 maybe ok but 175 it’s too narrow and your Yaris is heavier than 1.0 or 1.3 , it’s a hybrid, plus your car maybe equipped with larger discs and not able to fit, like is the case with auris gen 1 and 2. If you buy genuine wheels and comply with sizes correctly you don’t need to worry about insurance as it’s classed like accessories, no change to policy. You can play with tyre calculator and see what fits your car try to be as close as possible to the original size. 
https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Stivino said:

Stick to the wheel and tyre sizes that Toyota designed for the car, they know best.

Fit winter tyres in the winter if it would make you feel safer.

Think probably best compromise :thumbup1:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Changing wheel or tyre sizes would be a modification insurers would be interested in knowing about, whether or not it results in an increase in premium.

Thanks Frosty

Based on what you said to me several weeks ago, I did asked my insurer - they said you need to inform them and only at that time they can confirm whether it is ok or an increased in premium 🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check these two pictures, I done for you. 

0E97BEC1-154E-41A6-994F-DF37A28D168B.png

874895C6-09A7-4C47-BA63-DDA594850E59.png
get 15” wheels and put 185/60 15 winter tyres, car performance and handling will remain same or similar to the 16” wheels, but the ride will become softer, more rubbery and efficiency will be similar, not better because winter tyres are with higher resistance to roll. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Any one of the above it’s fine without staying on summer tyres. You can change the size too or stick with the same size, new wheels and tyres for the winter, as mentioned choose a size that is recommended as oem by the manufacturer even though it’s not for your trim level or equipment. Don’t go for 175 tyres on 15” wheels, 185 maybe ok but 175 it’s too narrow and your Yaris is heavier than 1.0 or 1.3 , it’s a hybrid, plus your car maybe equipped with larger discs and not able to fit, like is the case with auris gen 1 and 2. If you buy genuine wheels and comply with sizes correctly you don’t need to worry about insurance as it’s classed like accessories, no change to policy. You can play with tyre calculator and see what fits your car try to be as close as possible to the original size. 
https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/

Cool :thumbup1: 

Minimum 185 width then 🙂

 

But, is it true narrower tyres better for snow 🤔

Screenshot_2020-03-25-11-55-32-41.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Check these two pictures, I done for you. 

0E97BEC1-154E-41A6-994F-DF37A28D168B.png

874895C6-09A7-4C47-BA63-DDA594850E59.png
get 15” wheels and put 185/60 15 winter tyres, car performance and handling will remain same or similar to the 16” wheels, but the ride will become softer, more rubbery and efficiency will be similar, not better because winter tyres are with higher resistance to roll. 

Thanks Tony!

 

But, I thought the WIDTH was across the tyre (not along the tyre)!??? 

 

See my pic : 225mm tyre 

IMG20200325165630.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would go with a separate winter set in 15 inch.

My 1996 Volvo 940 has summer tyres. Around 3 winters ago bought a spare set of QE used volvo alloy wheels for £40 and fitted new Goodyear ultra grip 9's on for £50 each. Cost around £10 to have each tyre fitted to the alloy rims.

 The winter tyres are fantastic in my rear wheel drive automatic volvo. Like a 4wd in rural Staffordshire.

James.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s true, but you don’t get that deep snow, it’s not right thing to go down two sizes for winter tyres. Same size as summer or one size down if the car make and model allows you to do so. 185/60 15 should be your choice. Toyota official store sells things including wheels through eBay , check them out, they were at around £50 per wheel. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s true, but you don’t get that deep snow, it’s not right thing to go down two sizes for winter tyres. Same size as summer or one size down if the car make and model allows you to do so. 185/60 15 should be your choice. Toyota official store sells things including wheels through eBay , check them out, they were at around £50 per wheel. But seems like they are not selling at the moment because of the corona thing 🦠 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Auris James said:

I would go with a separate winter set in 15 inch.

My 1996 Volvo 940 has summer tyres. Around 3 winters ago bought a spare set of QE used volvo alloy wheels for £40 and fitted new Goodyear ultra grip 9's on for £50 each. Cost around £10 to have each tyre fitted to the alloy rims.

 The winter tyres are fantastic in my rear wheel drive automatic volvo. Like a 4wd in rural Staffordshire.

James.

Boy racer , James has a dark side :starwars:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

It’s true, but you don’t get that deep snow, it’s not right thing to go down two sizes for winter tyres. Same size as summer or one size down if the car make and model allows you to do so. 185/60 15 should be your choice. Toyota official store sells things including wheels through eBay , check them out, they were at around £50 per wheel. But seems like they are not selling at the moment because of the corona thing 🦠 

Ooooh £50 😍 

I did look, but their eBay store is like their used car site - terrible for searching and filtering 😞

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Confirmed Closed 😞

Screenshot_2020-03-25-17-14-21-57.png

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Snow is coming, have you got winter tyres ready? https://apple.news/AJqOKYE2iSLytyGtsoQ82hA 
It will be a day or two most likely. 👍

I don't think people care about the weather forecast anymore, Tony (ref lockdown) :laughing: 

Having said that, I am expected to go into the office (1st time over a week) this weekend as we have a computer system going live :shocking: 

Hope my new Yaris will make the journey (now I no longer have my Auris with Michelin CrossClimate+ all-seasons :sadwalk:).  :driving:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right!

Ran out of fresh food today :shocking: 

So, planning to raid the local Asda this afternoon with my new, shiny, cleaned but SLOW Toyota Yaris Hybrid (via the bypass) 🚙 :driving:

(hope the Battery is not dead yet!)

Wish me luck if I make it back alive and missed arrested by the 🚔🚨:laughing:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Wayne2015 said:

MOT exemption

Two topics posted yesterday:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My local dealership was showing they were still opened for servicing/MOT only (ref covid-19), only a few days ago, but now that message is gone, wonder if they still opened then..🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...