Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyre replacement

Wiz201

I'm looking to replace two of my all weather tyres that have worn down a bit after two and a half years on the front. I'm going to swap the rear ones to the front on my new Aygo when I pick her up, and then I'm going to buy two new ones. I'm torn between going for another pair of pirellis all weather ones or putting a pair of Goodyear Vector all seasons on. Would you recommend I go for the same brand to match or is it ok to mix brands of tyres as long as they're the same on each pair?

Edited by Wiz201

Both expensive junk I found a set of falkens work better mum had 4 on her mercades e250 the thing handles like a dream

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

I found with the pirellis they were good on snow, only packed snow and ice I had issues if I didn't get any momentum going. 

Hi Isobel,

First things first......All the best with the new Aygo! :thumbsup:  Very nice!!

Secondly, if you are changing the tyres two at a time, then I'd stick with the Pirellis but if you decide for a full swap, then I have to say that I like the Goodyears.  I got a set on mine after having them recommended by @fordulike and @Micra2Aygo and as they live in the North East and the Kingdom of Fife, I figured that if they were good enough for them, with the weather conditions up there, then they were good enough for me. I have to say that we haven't seen much snow or even ice since I got them but we have seen plenty of rain!  Up to now they have coped really well and I like them.

I would guess that the Pirellis are of a similar quality (You would know that better than me) and if you're happy with them, then your idea of changing two and getting two new ones seems a good idea....Put the new ones on the front and the part worn ones on the back though!!!!

Good luck...I'm taking bets that the new Aygo will be called "Bianca".....Seeing as (looking at the photo on the other thread) she is white....Then again I could be wrong, that's happened many times before.:blushing:

All the best. :biggrin:

P.S. Stockbridge Tyres in Keighley are very good....That's where I go.

• Like 1

If you are replacing tyres, the new/best tyres should always be put on the rear axle.

Industry best practice is for new tyres to be on the rear.

Hi Mike,

I agree that the train of thought from "Industry best practice" is to put new tyres on the rear.  However, being "Old School" I prefer the best tyres to be on the driving wheels.  With a small, light, front wheel drive car like the Aygo, I prefer to have the best tread on the front as that does the majority of the driving, steering and braking.  I might be wrong but without a skid pan to try out the "Rear is best" idea, I'm not convinced.

• Like 3

That's what I did with my daughter's Aygo as soon as I bought it.  I put two new Yokohama Blue Earth's on the front and intend replacing the rear two new budget ones which came with it as soon as I get round to it with the same Yokohama's.

In regards to what is the best brand, nobody and I mean nobody has the correct answer, because when it comes to tyres, they are down to the individual driver and what they prefer.

Best thing to do when it comes to tyres, do as you have done, ask for input from the forum members, then do your own research on reviews and then make your decision.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Agent Orange said:

Hi Isobel,

First things first......All the best with the new Aygo! :thumbsup:  Very nice!!

Secondly, if you are changing the tyres two at a time, then I'd stick with the Pirellis but if you decide for a full swap, then I have to say that I like the Goodyears.  I got a set on mine after having them recommended by @fordulike and @Micra2Aygo and as they live in the North East and the Kingdom of Fife, I figured that if they were good enough for them, with the weather conditions up there, then they were good enough for me. I have to say that we haven't seen much snow or even ice since I got them but we have seen plenty of rain!  Up to now they have coped really well and I like them.

I would guess that the Pirellis are of a similar quality (You would know that better than me) and if you're happy with them, then your idea of changing two and getting two new ones seems a good idea....Put the new ones on the front and the part worn ones on the back though!!!!

Good luck...I'm taking bets that the new Aygo will be called "Bianca".....Seeing as (looking at the photo on the other thread) she is white....Then again I could be wrong, that's happened many times before.:blushing:

All the best. :biggrin:

P.S. Stockbridge Tyres in Keighley are very good....That's where I go.

Yes, she will be called Bianca, after the white mouse in Disney Rescuers and the fact she's white. Keighley is a little far for me to go, I've got a good choice of tyre garages in Huddersfield. I'm going to sign the finance documents on Thursday and I'll get to have a look at her then as she got delivered to RRG Huddersfield on Friday.

16 hours ago, Agent Orange said:

Hi Mike,

I agree that the train of thought from "Industry best practice" is to put new tyres on the rear.  However, being "Old School" I prefer the best tyres to be on the driving wheels.  With a small, light, front wheel drive car like the Aygo, I prefer to have the best tread on the front as that does the majority of the driving, steering and braking.  I might be wrong but without a skid pan to try out the "Rear is best" idea, I'm not convinced.

I was thinking worst tyres should go on the rear, after all Aygos are front wheel drive.

• Like 1

It doesn't matter if it's front or rear wheel drive, the industry advise to put the new tyres on the rear.

That was probably written in the 70s when we had Granada's and Zephyrs....if anyone remembers them !!! Cars like that were pretty long and the back ends swung round.  Can't see a Aygo doing that and if it does, the driver was driving too fast round a corner !!!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

well I've just worked out that the new ones will be going on the rear anyway.

I've alway gone with same tyre on same axle but I've seen some shops put different brand tyres on different axle like my brother in laws he wanted 2 tyres the shop put the 2 new on passanger side 1 front 1 rear instead of both on front

Like I've said before, I'm "Old School" and also old enough to remember one of my first cars....A Mini Cooper and I loved it!

At the time, two guys said that the best thing you could do for the handling on a Mini was to fit two new "Rally tyres" (Yes, that's what we used to call them) on the front and go for a squirt around some country lanes...Loads of fun and  as safe as houses.  The two guys who said it were John Cooper and Paddy Hopkirk, who knew a thing or two about handling a little front wheel drive car.

I'm all for things moving on but when these ideas come from "Blue Sky Thinking" and computer simulations then I'm sceptical...Remember that every computer simulation in the world said that you cannot land a passenger airliner on the Hudson River.....A certain Captain Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger and his heroic experience proved them wrong!

If the latest trend of putting new tyres on the back is to prevent oversteer, then they have never been in an Aygo.....I'd pay good money to see somebody try and drift one.  There's more chance of Father Christmas knocking on my front door for a lift to Argos.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just done an internet question..... 2 new tyres to fit, should I put on from or rear axle.?  Every response was rear, put tyres with most tread on the back.

• Like 1

Just done an internet question..... 2 new tyres to fit, should I put on from or rear axle.?  Every response was rear, put tyres with most tread on the back.
I would say rotate them is best

2 minutes ago, gampla said:

I would say rotate them is best

That's an entirely different subject.