Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Washer fluid

Cbatoday

Is there no warning light on the dash to let you know you are getting low on windscreen washer fluid on the new corolla

Always had it on older more basic spec cars

• Like 1

It’s another electrical warning device that can go wrong, todays cars are full of them, is it really needed.

• Like 1

Doesn't look like there is. And yes, it's useful, especially if you do a lot of winter miles on business.  Much more useful that some of the rather dubious (IMO) driver "aids" that are fitted.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Cbatoday said:

Is there no warning light on the dash to let you know you are getting low on windscreen washer fluid on the new corolla

Always had it on older more basic spec cars

Unclip the lid to the washer reservoir, put your finger over the pinhole and lift off the cap. You will be able to see the fluid level by the amount left in the tube. Now you have the bonnet open, you can check the oil level, coolant and brake levels too. Simples!

• Like 5

Thanks for that tip, Rab. I never knew you could hold the fluid in the pipe, so logical now I know.

That’s in the manual. I’d still prefer a proper low level switch. 

• Like 1

I've not had a car with this on since leaving Nissan. None of my Hondas had it either. It's a pity because washer fluid is something that's easy to forget and if you run out when you need it can be quite a problem.

5 hours ago, RabButler said:

Unclip the lid to the washer reservoir, put your finger over the pinhole and lift off the cap. You will be able to see the fluid level by the amount left in the tube. Now you have the bonnet open, you can check the oil level, coolant and brake levels too. Simples!

Meh. None of the other fluids you mention are likely to drop over time unless you drive a lot of miles and/or have an aging engine. I've not bothered to check them on any car I've owned in the last twenty years (so sue me). I think a washer fluid level warning should be standard on all vehicles because it's a consumable item like fuel.

My Corolla is still on it’s first tank of screen wash so I don’t know for sure, but maybe the Corolla is like my Yaris hybrid - no warning light or message but the pumps are connected to the tank so that the rear screen washer stops working while there is still a reserve for the more important front screen washer. Not great but at least you get a warning of sorts without lifting the bonnet.

My Corolla is still on it’s first tank of screen wash so I don’t know for sure, but maybe the Corolla is like my Yaris hybrid - no warning light or message but the pumps are connected to the tank so that the rear screen washer stops working while there is still a reserve for the more important front screen washer. Not great but at least you get a warning of sorts without lifting the bonnet. Having said that, the 2020 manual seems to say that Corollas either have a washer fluid level gauge ( mine hasn’t) or display a warning message on the information display. 

My 07/2019 Corolla TS Luxury Plus has warning light for low windshield washer fluid. Works as good as Volvo V60s...

10 hours ago, Geoff W said:

My Corolla is still on it’s first tank of screen wash so I don’t know for sure, but maybe the Corolla is like my Yaris hybrid - no warning light or message but the pumps are connected to the tank so that the rear screen washer stops working while there is still a reserve for the more important front screen washer. Not great but at least you get a warning of sorts without lifting the bonnet.

As long as you regularly use the rear washer...

37 minutes ago, rafletcher said:

As long as you regularly use the rear washer...

It'd also be nice if Toyota had designed a none-return valve in that. It's a bit naff that I have to wait nearly a second after pushing (which seems wrong) the stalk forward. All my other cars were capable of delivering the water immediately.

6 minutes ago, AndrueC said:

It'd also be nice if Toyota had designed a none-return valve in that. It's a bit naff that I have to wait nearly a second after pushing (which seems wrong) the stalk forward. All my other cars were capable of delivering the water immediately.

Hmm, mine doesn't do that, it's pretty much instantaneous. But then again, the widow seals on the drivers door dont wipe the glass to clear condensation on mine. Individual niggles.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, RabButler said:

Nice one! 👍 Opening the bonnet once a week helps you know your car better and let you do basic but important checks. It’s same as oil light, if you wait to illuminate on the dash to check oil level than might be too late already.