Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Steering wheel layout on Corolla GR Sports 2L

Louie

HI Folks

Now that i have had the opportunity to drive my Toyota at night i would like a quiet word in an empty car park with the clown who designed the steering wheel controls. Why oh why has Toyota decided to move the cruise control settings to the steering wheel ? do they not realise how fiddly it is especially when driving at night. Why not fit it on the stalk as it is so much safer and easier to use. That round button control with x 5 selections for cruise control  drives me insane,  its completely  in the wrong place. I have have driven  a number of vehicles in the past which were fitted with cruise controls on the left hand stalk which were never a problem. 

Really? I think they controls are better on the steering wheel than on the stalk. I have to admit that this is my first car with cruise control (My first car was a ford fusion from 2007 with no cruise control), so i havent had an experience with cruise control on the stalk. Wouldn't a stalk make it a bit more difficult since u have to look slightly behind your steering wheel? 

• Like 1

Hi George

The Corolla instrument cluster is wild to put it mildly. However to answer your comment you don't have to generally move you hands away from the steering wheel when its on a stalk, you can usually move the lower part of your hand to operate to simply push etc on the stalk. If my thumb was 6 inches long i might be able to operate the cruise controls on the steering whee in my current Corolla hybrid.. I generally have to let go of the steering wheel to operate these controls and i really for a fraction of a second have to look at what i am pressing thus for that very short period of time i am not concentrating on the road. In my opinion a weak design point. 

Another whinge is storage space  which is poor. There is no handy storage  for the simple things like coins,sunglasses and small documentation such as security passes. The side door grab handles obscure the door pockets as i am constantly wrestling with whatever i have stuffed in a hurry while driving. I have had to purchase third party addons to make room for all the rubbish most people accumulate. You can purchase a handy sun visor  pouch for all ones bits and bobs on Amazon made by of all people Dunlop for around £10  a a bargain in my opinion. That aside the Corolla Hybrid  2 L is a nice drive and the ride especially comfortable on long journeys thanks to the comfy seats. The Toyota Corolla Hybrid GR Sports 2l is a refreshing change  from my years being stuck in a Golf.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Louie said:

You can purchase a handy sun visor  pouch for all ones bits and bobs on Amazon made by of all people Dunlop

The Dunlop brand is used by a number of companies - eg Sports Direct. Not necessarily anything to do with the original Dunlop company.

I disagree. Volvo’s (2014 V60) have cruise control on the steering wheel, but on the left side and they work quite the same way. To be honest, I hate the cruise control on the stalk - my Škoda had it before moving back to Volvo and I really hated using it in tricky conditions. When I moved from Volvo to Corolla I was right at home with it even though it’s now on the right side of the steering wheel which still confuses me a bit.. 🙂

• Like 1

Honestly, I love that they are on the steering wheel, I used the ACC for over 3000 km when I went on a road trip last summer and it worked perfectly! The Auris which I drove before the Corolla had a stalk, which I hated and thus never used the cruise control. 

• Like 2

I'm another that prefers a separate stalk control. Flick back and forward to turn on/off, nudge up and down to set speed. Simpleas, and can be done wearing gloves (as I generally do from october to april! Steering wheel controls not intuitive, and too small to use accuratley with gloves without  looking.

All i can say here on the various comments re location of cruise control on the latest Toyota Corolla Hybrid GR Sport is you have to have peculiar hands to operate the cruise controls safely but then one man's meat is another man's poison and its a case of personal choice.

• Like 1

My cruise control is my right foot. Always works for me, and I don't have to take my eyes off the road to adjust it.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links