Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Please help, several rust chips on eight year old Auris

Jason 2020

please can you help? I bought a Toyota Auris from a car dealer 2 months ago, everything is going well, but iv suddenly got several small chips on the paintwork that have turned to rust, I'm concerned, is this normal for an eight year old car to rust? car has low mileage only 42k lol 
Should I go back to the dealer?, the dealers been around for over ten years, so he must be doing something right lol 😀

Thanks

Were the stone chips visible when you bought it?

If the paint has been chipped off down to bare metal then there will be rust. Probably stone chips for which there really is no magical prevention.

It will happen to most cars - once bare metal has been exposed. That can happen with a one week old car!

I can't see the dealer has any responsibility here because, as you state, they weren't there when purchased. The rust needs treating a.s.a.p. and some paint covering the chips straight afterwards. They will only get worse and eventually creep under the good paint and start bubbling.

• Like 1

Cheers for your reply. Is fixing as easy as rubbing the rust off with a sanding pen, applying the primer, then paint?,

otherwise I might have to pay to get it sorted because I don't have the time at mo as me old man's got cancer lol.

Its almost as if someone has chip me car on purpose lol, which could be possible lol

I've found two more tiny ones, I could understand two or three chips but there's about seven, something seems dodgy somewhere lol

Hi,

If you could post a picture of the chips and maybe one of where they are on the car, that would be useful.

In the meantime, given the crappy weather at the moment, you could do worse than wipe/clean the damage with a damp cloth, then try to dry it with another one, and then put a dab of grease or vaseline over the damage.  In the short term this will halt the corrosion, and if you take the matter up with the seller, it can be instantly cleaned off beforehand.  So this will give you some time to consider what to do next.

Once you try to do more to fix this yourself (i.e.touch-up paint) then you obviously then 'own' the problem!

2 hours ago, Jason 2020 said:

me old man's got cancer lol

Is that laughable?

I hope it turns out o.k. for him.

Obviously not, I say lol because people talking face to face wud give a slight nervous laugh, rather than a serious face

• Haha 1

My one has many chips like that with lager ones recently done, but I get bombarded by stones everyday on motorways, front bumper looks like someone has shoot it with air rifle.  Will fix that in the spring, weather is too bad now.