Sign in to follow this  
Jimjamtastic

P1271

Hi.

Had a mechanic look at my car (engine management light and check engine brake on dashboard). P1271 fault reading on diagnostic checks . Been told its likely (not 100%) the injection driver (part no 89871-20080). Also been told its not a part that has to be coded to my car, so thinking of buying from a salvage yard to keep costs down. The car drives fine but would like rid of engine management light. Just wondered if anybody had experienced similar fault code and  what fix was undertaken before I start to buy parts(hopefully not the wrong ones).

Moved to the Avensis club.

AFAIK the EDU is just a 'dumb' voltage translation unit. It receives low voltage injection control signals from the main ECM and steps up the voltage to drive the high-voltage piezo injectors. On that basis I think you should be able to do a straight swap.

However I would do some proper diagnostics first. P1271 relates to an open or short circuit in the pressure discharge valve circuit (valve in the end of fuel rail). If its not operating then normally the engine 'runs on' a little bit when you switch off the ignition. A pressure guage on the fuel rail will tell you what is going on. It could be a faulty valve. Carefully check the wiring and connections between the valve and the EDU. You may also be able to monitor the voltage to the valve.