Do Not Sell My Personal Information

buzzing noise in right hand dash

Louie

My new Corolla Hybrid GR Sport 2l  has acquired a loud buzzing noise ( audio being turned off)  from the right hand dash.

This noise can best be described as a trapped angry bumble bee. It can only be heard at slow speeds up to 40mph.

I previously had a Golf GTD which had a similar problem and this was traced to speaker mountings in the window pillars. I have no idea if there are speaker mountings in the Corolla dash. I am hoping this might go away as the car becomes more bedded in but the noise is becoming more evident with time.

I have similar annoying noise somewhere in front of the steering wheel and where the HUD is located.

Car has been already twice checked by the dealer. Every time the excuse with something like there was not properly secured cable/ cable housing and that they position it with some foam. Unfortunately after several days the noise starts again, especially when driving on cobblestones.

• Like 1

Hmm yes the more rough the road the angrier the bumble bee gets and Nikolay its exactly where the HUD is strange. Also i would not attribute this to lose cabling. I would say it sounds like a loose meta/hard plastic  part of some kind. In my Golf GTD it was lose speaker mountings in the A pillar (windscreen to dash)  the noise was virtually identical.

• Like 1

Ok, what if the HUD transparent plastic cover is the problem? There is an opening in the dashboard from where the HUD projects to the windshield and I believe it is not just a hole, but a plastic cover to protect the lenses/elements inside. Maybe it is too loose and not fixed properly to the dashboard. 

I also believe it is not permanently buzzing. Sometimes a pothole/cobblestones makes it start moving and buzzing. Then eventually it will find its places and stuck to the dash hole for a while.

Can you please try to touch that plastic and check if it really has some free play as I am suspecting? I will check mine as well.

Also check the following. When the car is stationary, knock rapidly in the dash area between the HUD and the steering wheel. I am able to almost replicate the buzz.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have the same angry bumble bee noise in right hand dash do you get asolution for that annoying nosie ?

• 5 months later...

I have the same problem and living in France but still yet no solution found.  Have you found any since ? Thanks.

• 1 year later...

IMPORTANT: I have the identical Toyota Corolla Hybrid with the HUD display, and it felt the same bumble bee noise until I found the solution.
Between the plastic of the dashboard and the plastic mica, I put an anti-vibration tape that they sell in any shop, and the sound disappeared. The tape should be dark, hopefully, black, so it doesn't contrast with the windshield. I hope it helps you with your cars.

• Like 1

I have similar buzzing sound coming from the right side of the dash (left side steering wheel), turned out to be the light sensor cover - just before the dash meets the windshield there's a small button-like cap, that's become loose and rattles. 

• Like 1