Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyres for Auris

Magwitch

Please can someone tell me what tyres I should use for my 2009 Auris, that will be good tyres, without costing a fortune? I do less than 4,000 miles a year. Is it ok if I don't have all tyres matching? It is the two front ones that need replacing, the back ones are fine.

Hi, 

the definition for good tyres can vary, good tyres for different season will be different, they are options for all season tyres, but the easiest and cheapest way is to get mid range summer tyres, all 4 new and same. I believe your tyre size is 205/55 16 which is the most common size in U.K. so plenty of choice . If you go to https://www.blackcircles.com/ or https://www.mytyres.co.uk/ type your reg number or you can search by tyre size too, just look at the car first to Make sure all tyres has that size. You can choose date and place where to be fitted , pay online and all you need to visit the garage you choose and let them fit for you. If this is your size indeed Goodyear efficient grip performance are really good tyres or Kumho es31 also good one, if you want good comfortable and safe tyres don’t go for the cheapest options. 
Regards 

Do you know what tyre size you need? Will be on the tyre sidewall and be something like 205/55/16 H 91.

Do you want winter tyres, do you want summer tires, do you want all season tires, how big are your tires now, or rims?

How much do you want to spend per tire in case you buy 2, or 4?

You need to provide some context here..

Thanks for your help! I need all season tyres. Tyre size is indeed 205/55R16. Front two tyres are Harmonic RP203. Back two tyres are COLO HR1. Never heard of either! If I can get two tyres for £80 fine, although as you say,Tony, I want safe tyres.

The Harmonic tyres are made by Wanli, and the Colo HR1 tyres are made by Grenlander - both summer tyres and are made by Chinese manufacturers.

Not recommended to mix different types of tyres (ie summer and all seasons tyres) on the car. Either fit four all seasons, or go for summer tyres with good ratings for wet grip.

On Black Circles you can get Kumho Ecowing ES31 summer tyres (wet grip rating B) for £53.99 each including fitting - £5 off when buying two by quoting 2KU5 at checkout - https://www.blackcircles.com/catalogue/kumho/ecowing-es31/205/55/R16/V/91/f?tyre=37163882

• Like 1

Thank you Frosty! I have just looked them both up and I have to say, I didn't like the sound of them. What you have just told me has made my mind up! I will follow your advice!

• Like 2

On my IS 220D I had recently fitted AVON ZV7's and found them perfectly fine. In size 205/55/R16. I bought them in pairs a few months apart to spread the cost. cost me £115.00 for the pair fitted. Much quieter than the original Good year efficient grip that were cracking in tread at 3-4 years old!

Sadly a few months later the head gasket was going so sold it for repairs on eBay for £350. The buyer was going to keep the wheels/tyres. Lights, cat and injectors and scrap the rest.

James.

On 2/20/2020 at 5:18 PM, Auris James said:

On my IS 220D I had recently fitted AVON ZV7's and found them perfectly fine. In size 205/55/R16. I bought them in pairs a few months apart to spread the cost. cost me £115.00 for the pair fitted. Much quieter than the original Good year efficient grip that were cracking in tread at 3-4 years old!

Sadly a few months later the head gasket was going so sold it for repairs on Ebay for £350. The buyer was going to keep the wheels/tyres. Lights, cat and injectors and scrap the rest.

James.

Same happened to me with the goodyear efficient grip performance which cracked all the way around the tyre. Swapped to Dunlop Sport bluresponse which seem better.

19 minutes ago, ziauris said:

Same happened to me with the goodyear efficient grip performance which cracked all the way around the tyre. Swapped to Dunlop Sport bluresponse which seem better.

In Europe Dunlop tyres are made by Goodyear

14 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

In Europe Dunlop tyres are made by Goodyear

yes, but they seem to be different as dunlop never had cracking problem on my car, but *both* the goodyear cracked and were on the back of the car where they had an easier life so i'd advise people to avoid them.

Not necessarily to have easier life on the rear wheels, some cars eats rear tyres more then the front one even though they are front wheel drive. I have positive view on them , only one negative side is that they have a very soft side walls and with the bad road conditions these days it’s super easy to get them cut and damage the wheels too. I am looking at Kumho Ecowing ES31 , I had ES51 Ecsta before on they were great in dry, wet and super hot summers too. 

My Auris is a 2014 model, so not the same as the OP's car. But all Toyotas (all Japanese cars?) tend to have less responsive steering than European cars like my old VW Passat. That's because the suspension isn't quite as good. One way that it shows is that my 1.6 petrol Auris is rather prone to wheelspin on take-off, even in a 30 limit area. 😂

Or rather, it was, until I switched to Michelin Primacy 4s, which have got my Auris nearly up to the handling standards of my wife's Golf. The downside is that they cost eighty quid fitted, although BlackCircles will often do Michelins for less than that. Wheelspin hardly happens now, and the wet weather grip is great.

As Frosty says, Chinese tyres like Wan Li are not well regarded. "Slippery" is one of the nicer things that get said about them.  😕 They have a high birth rate out there, and life is cheap!

But seriously. If you added up the total area of your four tyres that's in contact with the road at any moment, it would be about four of your shoe soles. That's all that stands between you and the great high road in the sky. If you possibly can, spend a bit more for a better/safer tyre. If you can't, Continentals are okay.

• Like 3

Did you buy any tyres yet? Black circles have 10% off today only on Goodyear, Kumho , Hankook and Avon. I will probably order some Kumhos in a minute, seems they have a good reviews from many people. 

6 hours ago, Countrylad said:

Or rather, it was, until I switched to Michelin Primacy 4s, which have got my Auris nearly up to the handling standards of my wife's Golf. The downside is that they cost eighty quid fitted, although BlackCircles will often do Michelins for less than that. Wheelspin hardly happens now, and the wet weather grip is great.

As Frosty says, Chinese tyres like Wan Li are not well regarded. "Slippery" is one of the nicer things that get said about them.  😕 They have a high birth rate out there, and life is cheap!

I completely agree, the Auris is a car that really benefits from good quality tyres. I'm a fan of all-season tyres and have had Michelin Crossclimates, and now Goodyear Vector 4Seasons on our Auris and both are very good. They have transformed the ride and handling compared to the dreadful Chinese 'ditch finder' tyres that were on the car when I bought it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Countrylad said:

Not affectionately known as ditchfinders for no reason! 🤣

Mine's still on the factory Dunlops. Fastresponse I think they are which don't seem to be an low rolling resistance tyre.

One Chinese tyre I do trust is Evergreen.           
Been using them for last 7 years or so on Fiat Scudo van, BMW 318d, and Toyota Auris Hybrid. Mid price tyre, always performed well on each of those vehicles.

Chine build the most cars annually in the world, something somewhere has to be right, though not everything, just need honest unbiased reviews.

6 hours ago, Countrylad said:

As Frosty says, Chinese tyres like Wan Li are not well regarded.

Didn't actually say that Chinese tyres are not well regarded. I just identified the manufacturer of the tyres currently fitted to the OP's car.

I did advise that fitting a mix of tyres (eg. summer and all seasons) is not recommended.

• Like 2

Just discovered my favourite tyres has an update and will be looking at them very soon. Goodyear efficient grip performance 2, they look very tempting to me and manufacturer claims these tyres has the shortest wet braking and 20% more life, 11k km more than the next best competitor. Kind of happy to test them myself. 
https://www.goodyear.eu/en_gb/consumer/tires/efficientgrip_performance2.EFFIGRIPP2.html

ED4C8D02-C3BE-4617-827B-4CBD72662AFE.png

• Like 1

I thought I had a flat but luckily I didn't, so haven't had to buy any yet! This gives me time to look around and see what is out there. You have all given me so much to think about! I know nothing about tyres, except that I don't have a fortune to spend but want something that will be reliable and safe.

• Like 2

On 2/24/2020 at 5:44 PM, MagicBoy said:

Not affectionately known as ditchfinders for no reason! 🤣

Mine's still on the factory Dunlops. Fastresponse I think they are which don't seem to be an low rolling resistance tyre.

the dunlop sp fastresponse on mine car were  amazing, i think they lasted in excess of 35k miles.

On 2/22/2020 at 3:31 PM, TonyHSD said:

Not necessarily to have easier life on the rear wheels, some cars eats rear tyres more then the front one even though they are front wheel drive. I have positive view on them , only one negative side is that they have a very soft side walls and with the bad road conditions these days it’s super easy to get them cut and damage the wheels too. I am looking at Kumho Ecowing ES31 , I had ES51 Ecsta before on they were great in dry, wet and super hot summers too. 

You could be right, but they certainly got less wear on the rear of the vehicle but cracked all the way around and this was BOTH tyres (I have a thread about this on this forum if anyone wants to see the pics etc) - seems like Auris James had the same result with his. The Dunlop which had been on the rear showed no cracks even when down to 2mm after approx 35k miles - I hope the SP Bluresponse last this long!

On 2/24/2020 at 12:31 PM, Countrylad said:

My Auris is a 2014 model, so not the same as the OP's car. But all Toyotas (all Japanese cars?) tend to have less responsive steering than European cars like my old VW Passat. That's because the suspension isn't quite as good. One way that it shows is that my 1.6 petrol Auris is rather prone to wheelspin on take-off, even in a 30 limit area. 😂

But seriously. If you added up the total area of your four tyres that's in contact with the road at any moment, it would be about four of your shoe soles. That's all that stands between you and the great high road in the sky. If you possibly can, spend a bit more for a better/safer tyre. If you can't, Continentals are okay.

I gets no wheel spin with Dunlops  unless i try to be a bit aggressive, used to get a bit with the Goodyear but not major either - maybe it;s driving style and the auris is a more of a miss daisy car. My wallows a bit and it feels like it is having difficulty clinging to the road when i sometimes take a sharp corner at speed, but i don't think the car is designed for driving like this, it's more of a grandad type car.

Our Auris MK2 still has original 17’’ dunlop sp fastresponse (29K so far) and they started cracking after 2 years. Agree they are wearing very well, but they are very hard and I do not like the steering feel with them.  They will be changed to Michelin Cross Climate +, next time Costco has an offer. They do spin for me sometimes in the wet, but probably because I put too much power from stand still at the angle.
I had the Prius before Auris and it had:
Bridgestone Ecopia – were horrid in winter or colder wet weather
Dunlop Sport Bluresponse – were very good (apart from winter weather obviously), lasted 30K+ and were best on fuel.
Michelin Cross Climate +: very good in all weather conditions (been to France and Germany in winter and had no issues with the snow). Lost about 3 mpgs compared to Dunlop Sport Bluresponse

• Like 1

Ok, it looks a though I will be getting Dunlops or Michelins. Thank you all so much for your wise advice! The only gripe I have is my lovely Auris being described as a Miss Daisy car! How could you, Ziauris! Senior I may be, however, I still nip along, belting out Power Ballads at full strength. I do tend to obey the speed limits more than I used to, though. I have been so lucky never to have had a speeding ticket (fingers crossed)! She has very responsive steering, corners well and I don't get wheel spin, unless I try to take off too fast. I bought her in July, so haven't had to drive in snow yet. How that will be, I don't know. The only thing I had a problem with was ecostop. I'm still not sure whether it is on or off, as it says ecostop off when I think it is on. Oh well. Stalling in the middle of town and wondering why on earth she wouldn't start, when I wasn't putting my foot on the clutch, is another mortification I won't forget in a hurry!

Edited by Magwitch
I wanted to add something.
  • Like 1