Do Not Sell My Personal Information

RAV4 mk2 2.0 D4D oil loss and engine vacuum

mooreg05@gmail.com

Good morning, total amateur here.

Please can anyone throw any ideas at the issues I am having.

I have a 2.0 D4D mk2 RAV4 Granite with around 130k on the clock.

It’s been driving fine with no major issues.

Now it is using massive amounts of oil, around 3 pints every 250 miles.

Once the car has been driven the lid of the oil filler is so tight it has to be removed with tools and can’t be moved by hand.

It’s as if a vacuum has been created within the engine.

I have been looking around and people suggest the PCV valve has failed in an open position and creating the negative pressure and pulling the oil into the combustion chamber.

On first start the car is rather Smokey and when driving there is a light blue mist from the exhaust.

Would anyone be able to tell me if this engine is fitted with a PCV valve and where it is located, if it does not use a PCV is there anything else anyone can think of which would cause this issue.

Thanks all in advance.

This isn't a problem I have ever come across but definitely feels like some form of pressure control/vent is not working as expected. Does the cap get looser as the engine cools or once it's tight it stays that way?

• Like 1

Hi, once it goes tight it stays tight almost as if its being pulled down. 

Would you happen to know if this model has a PCV valve an its location.

I called Toyota in Norwich but came away from the conversation somewhat confused.

One chap said it was in the head and another said towards the rear of the engine on the right hand side, couldn't give me any further information as the drawing was rather basic.

This engine doesn't have a PCV valve - it's just a vent pipe that connects between the rocker box and inlet manifold system. In the first instance confirm that the crankcase is running under vacuum by running the engine without the filler cap and the opening covered with a cloth - you should be able to feel if the crankcase is pressurised or under vacuum. Does the exhaust blow out a lot of smoke when accelerating after a period of overrun?

• Like 1

Hi I will check the engine tomorrow using the cloth method as suggested above.

The car produces more smoke while running at lower rpm around 3k rpm if you blip the throttle up to around 4k rpm the smoke reduces until it drops back to a lower rpm when it starts to show more smoke.

Thanks all for your help.

Think I have worked it out, the intercooler is full of oil, looks like the turbo has failed.

• Sad 1

The description in your previous post also suggests turbo seal failure. It may be that the turbo is life expired but often turbo seals fail for other reasons. As part of any turbo work, it's important to check that the oil return from the turbo is clear - any restriction will pressurise the turbo seals and cause oil to leak into the exhaust. The oil feed pipe should also be checked for restriction and preferably replaced. Air filter must be in good condition and check that none of the hoses on the induction system are collapsed or kinked. Beware of very cheap new turbos on offer - some Chinese units are of dubious quality. In the past I've been very happy with reconditioned turbos from Turbo Active (sold on an exchange basis). There are obviously many other reputable turbo companies in the UK. It's also possible to fit a new cartridge into the old turbo but given the age and mileage - there may be other damage to the turbo.

• Like 1