Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MyT app

RabButler

Big shout out to Alex Wilson at Lister Toyota in Cheltenham for getting my car to talk to the My T app. it took three months and 10 minutes! Now I don't need to remember where I left my car and apparently I need to improve my braking technique. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, RabButler said:

Big shout out to Alex Wilson at Lister Toyota in Cheltenham for getting my car to talk to the My T app. it took three months and 10 minutes! Now I don't need to remember where I left my car and apparently I need to improve my braking technique. 

Apparently I shouldn't accelerate away from some roundabouts some of the time.

There must be some logic to it but some mornings the car wants me to join the main road outside my estate without powering into the ECO zone. Other times it thinks I should give it some welly and go right up to the start of the PWR zone.

Given that it's rush-hour I always do the latter 🙂

I take the view that if you get a mixture of "bad braking", "good braking", "bad acceleration" and "good acceleration", you're there or thereabouts - so not too much to be concerned about!

I usually score in the high 80s or even into the 90s. Over winter I've been sitting just above 50 mpg with my 1.8 Excel on a 12 mile commute. I'd say that's pretty good.

It is quite fun seeing how many red scores you can get on a trip, and disappointing when you get a few green ones! 

In all seriousness, I take the My T driving tuition with a pinch of salt. I get 80 to 90 ( once 98, my record, no idea how!), but always pull away from roundabouts too fast, unless the traffic is bad, and my braking is the worst!  To  get a green score on roundabouts, you would be there all day holding the traffic up until you could crawl away from the junction. Either that, or pull out an slow speed and get hooted at. Forget it if you go to Oxford in rush hour, you would never get into town unless you nip across smartly when there is a gap and risk a red warning from My T !

My T is ideal world stuff, and if you get lots of green marks, you probably drove home at 3 in the morning.

I can't work out the acceleration guidance. Sometimes it's happy to let me use full ICE, other times in the same location and situation it wants me to barely tickle the accelerator pedal. Leaving Farthinghoe toward Banbury is an example of that. Every time I reach the end of the 30 zone I'm doing 30 mph. But sometimes it will say 'you can go for it if you want' other times it seems to prefer me to stay in EV (which I will do if I can't see any point accelerating harder) and yet other times the guidance wont even want me to use full EV.

One thing I've noticed recently though is that if you wait a couple of seconds at whatever (arbitrary?) power level it wants and then gradually start pushing the accelerator the guidance seems to follow whatever you do whereas going straight to full ICE it will refuse to budge. It's almost as if it's just encouraging a little patience to start off with or perhaps just doesn't like you jabbing the pedal down.

But I also wonder if there's any significant to the My T app mentioning road features. I've only ever been 'dinged' for accelerating too hard away from a roundabout, never any other kind of junction. Is the car actually taking the nature of the road into consideration? That would require that all Corollas had sat nav ability which seems a little unlikely.

But anyway for me it's mostly only acceleration I get dinged on. My best ever score commuting was a 96 last October. Not a thing on the A422 so I just toddled along and - yes - obeyed the acceleration guidance.

• Like 1

I don’t have any of the animations on show when driving, IMO way too distracting and therefore unsafe. 

1 hour ago, rafletcher said:

I don’t have any of the animations on show when driving, IMO way too distracting and therefore unsafe. 

So you have the dashboard switched off? I didn't know there was an option for that.

I don’t understand Toyota’s logic behind this app and how, where and when certain data is shown or missing...

Long time after they introduced EV and Hybrid statistics my app, even regularly updated, was missing this information. Then suddenly and without app update, two days ago MyT started showing it. But today it again suddenly went back to no EV and Hybrid data...

My car reported a score of 96 for my commute into work today (second best ever) but the app only says 85 presumably because it's ignoring the cruise information. If the car is willing to score my cruising I think the app should. My commute is over 11 miles so that ought to be long enough to assess my ability to maintain a steady speed.

6 hours ago, OXYGEN said:

I don’t understand Toyota’s logic behind this app and how, where and when certain data is shown or missing...

Long time after they introduced EV and Hybrid statistics my app, even regularly updated, was missing this information. Then suddenly and without app update, two days ago MyT started showing it. But today it again suddenly went back to no EV and Hybrid data...

The My T app appears to be temperamental. It has missed out some journeys I have made, and on a couple of occasions I have got home and had a look, and it says the vehicle is still travelling, and so it will update the report when I reach my destination!  That never happens. And sometimes it ignores most of the journey, and I suddenly start it on a dual Carriage way in Banbury and arrive at Tesco's a mile later, with no start symbol at the point it began recording.   Maybe these are moments when the server is down at Toyota, or part of the data fails to transmit from the car..

I’ve noticed that scores in the app differ from those given by the car whether I use cruise control or not. Up to now I’ve been shown hybrid scores and examples of good and bad acceleration and braking but today everything has changed. I’m now getting what looks like a report intended for non-hybrid cars - not just for today’s journeys - all past journeys are now in the new format. This report has no overall score but shows counts of hard acceleration and hard braking. There are far more of these than the previous counts of braking and acceleration that could have been more gentle. Where the route maps used to show the route split between EV mode and petrol mode, the maps now show parts of the journey below the speed limit and above the speed limit. What’s going on? I try hard to always respect speed limits but I feel a bit alarmed about the car in effect reporting a series of alleged speeding offences back to Toyota. It’s not even as if the car is infallible at spotting what the speed limit actually is!

A question about the MyT app reports: has anybody ever succeeded in getting an e-mail report? The app always offers this but every time I submit a request it says “An error occurred please try again later”.

I have received reports several times.

I have even used the option to mark some of the journeys as business, generate report filtered by business and specific dates, which then was sent to my employer for reimbursement.

3 hours ago, Geoff W said:

I’ve noticed that scores in the app differ from those given by the car whether I use cruise control or not. Up to now I’ve been shown hybrid scores and examples of good and bad acceleration and braking but today everything has changed. I’m now getting what looks like a report intended for non-hybrid cars - not just for today’s journeys - all past journeys are now in the new format. This report has no overall score but shows counts of hard acceleration and hard braking. There are far more of these than the previous counts of braking and acceleration that could have been more gentle. Where the route maps used to show the route split between EV mode and petrol mode, the maps now show parts of the journey below the speed limit and above the speed limit. What’s going on? I try hard to always respect speed limits but I feel a bit alarmed about the car in effect reporting a series of alleged speeding offences back to Toyota. It’s not even as if the car is infallible at spotting what the speed limit actually is!

Mine has done the same, all trips since getting the car have changed since yesterday. 

Further to my last. If I open MyT from the app icon I normally use I get a non-hybrid version but opening it direct from the App Store it works correctly. Has there been an update that my phone has not picked up? I’ll try a reinstall and let you know what happens. 

I notice that if I just focus on driving the best way I can (not worrying about how the MyT will judge me for acceleration) I get higher mpg and a higher score on the app. If I drive thinking I'll get told off for accelerating too quickly etc and try and drive in a way that the app will be happy about I get lower mpg. I would love to know the logic the app uses for acceleration based judgement...

• Like 1

On 2/29/2020 at 9:36 PM, Ian.S said:

Mine has done the same, all trips since getting the car have changed since yesterday. 

Hybrid coaching all back to normal this morning, but I still can’t get any e-mail reports!

On 3/2/2020 at 10:28 AM, Geoff W said:

Hybrid coaching all back to normal this morning, but I still can’t get any e-mail reports!

Probably not a help, but did you check your email address is correct in your online Toyota account? And nothing is going in Trash / Junk? I have never had a report not arrive very quickly, so I think the process seems to work. Is your email something like "Hotmail"? I never had luck with them, gmail is OK, but I use my Broadband supplier's domain, and that is pretty good.

I just sent a report and nothing has turned up yet. I run my own mail server so I have access to full diagnostics. I did a test from my GMail account using the address that My T is configured to use and it went through in seconds. Looking at the server logs shows no SMTP connections by anyone except GMail in the last half an hour.

14 hours ago, AndrueC said:

I just sent a report and nothing has turned up yet. I run my own mail server so I have access to full diagnostics. I did a test from my GMail account using the address that My T is configured to use and it went through in seconds. Looking at the server logs shows no SMTP connections by anyone except GMail in the last half an hour.

That's odd. I just requested a monthly report 1st Feb to 1st March, and it arrived in approx 10 seconds, literally. Probably only delayed by the time it took me to fire up outlook and for it to be downloaded. Maybe the server at Toyota is down sometimes, or busy.

I've sent them an email and am awaiting a response. Their response will go to the same address but presumably through a different server at their end. My T will probably be using an automated/bulk sending server (something like SendGrid) and they can be fickle - especially if they haven't bothered to pay for a full service.

Thanks for the suggestions, but MyT is showing my correct e-mail address. I don't think it even takes long enough to have sent a report to the wrong address! I enter Type of trip and Date range and tap "Get email report" and am instantly shown a screen with a large black X in the middle with the text "An error occurred, please try again later".

1 hour ago, Geoff W said:

Thanks for the suggestions, but MyT is showing my correct e-mail address. I don't think it even takes long enough to have sent a report to the wrong address! I enter Type of trip and Date range and tap "Get email report" and am instantly shown a screen with a large black X in the middle with the text "An error occurred, please try again later".

That's less than I get. At least I got a popup telling me that the report had been sent.

On 3/5/2020 at 12:23 PM, Geoff W said:

Oh, I have had that on occasion, but when I try a day later it seems to have cleared.