Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corolla 2.0 - questions from a prospective buyer

TheTJW

Well if it does, its still pretty cool in the cab, glad its got heated seats.

1 hour ago, AndrueC said:

I thought some Prius had a 'thermos flask' that stored coolant to keep it warm? Also don't some have motorised louvers for the radiator grill?

Yes, you are entirely correct.  The Prius 2 had the 'thermos flask' arrangement, but not for the UK market, I believe.  It increased the coolant capacity considerably.

The louvered radiator grille thingy is on all Prius gen4, although plenty of BMWs have had this type of device fitted with their 'Efficient Dynamics' package for many years, maybe others too?.

• Like 2

After watching some YouTube reviews of the Corolla, it seems that in other countries (the US for example), the app allows you to remotely start the engine and start the heater.  It seems that the UK are behind again (as usual!)

Seems to related to Toyota connected services, not seen this in the UK yet, but it seems to be a thing in the US.

https://youtu.be/xpbK6ZBhJvY

37 minutes ago, TheTJW said:

After watching some YouTube reviews of the Corolla, it seems that in other countries (the US for example), the app allows you to remotely start the engine and start the heater.  It seems that the UK are behind again (as usual!)

I don't think it's a matter of being behind. The technology to do that is hardly revolutionary. More likely Toyota UK realised that almost no-one living the UK would want or need it. We just don't get enough really cold days to justify it. The colder parts of the US and Europe, sure. You could get frost bite waiting for the car to warm up on some winter days. But the UK? You barely have enough time to start shivering before the cabin is up to temp. Adding it to the product line would just bump up the price of the vehicle and do little to nothing to help sell it.

57 minutes ago, AndrueC said:

I don't think it's a matter of being behind. The technology to do that is hardly revolutionary. More likely Toyota UK realised that almost no-one living the UK would want or need it. We just don't get enough really cold days to justify it. The colder parts of the US and Europe, sure. You could get frost bite waiting for the car to warm up on some winter days. But the UK? You barely have enough time to start shivering before the cabin is up to temp. Adding it to the product line would just bump up the price of the vehicle and do little to nothing to help sell it.

We get snow and ice during the winter (usually!), surely that's cold enough to justify having this feature!

14 minutes ago, TheTJW said:

We get snow and ice during the winter (usually!), surely that's cold enough to justify having this feature!

Maybe if you live in the far north. Temperatures in most of the UK rarely fall below -5c and then only for a few nights a year. By the time you've scraped the ice off your car you'll have warmed up and won't care if the cabin is a bit cold for a couple of minutes. It's also worth noting that running a cold engine at idle produces a lot of pollution and increases wear and tear. That is why standard advice is not to start the engine until you're ready to go and immediately drive off.

And how many people would be prepared to leave their car on the road for ten minutes with its engine running and no-one sitting in it? Not many I bet.

No I think Toyota will have assessed the UK market and quite correctly decided that it was a feature with limited appeal.

2 hours ago, AndrueC said:

(snip)

And how many people would be prepared to leave their car on the road for ten minutes with its engine running and no-one sitting in it? Not many I bet.

(Snip)

Not least because it would be illegal to do so.

I would not pay 8 dollars a month for that. My T has plenty on it for free. It's a case of creating a need for many of those options, where none existed.

In the video the boot was open but the app said it was closed. Love the Corolla, but mounting evidence that all this technology Toyota build into their cars has some way to go before it is reliable enough to rely on!  Hybrid system working, steering working, brakes working, Sat Nav working... that's mostly what we need to be reliable, the rest is work in progress.

• Like 1

I have said this before, but, every extra that you want adds a cost to the vehicle production. Add the fact there will be numerous people wanting something different to others, if Toyota built them all in to a car the cost of the vehicle would probably be more then the person wanting his/her extra are willing to pay.                           

As said above, Toyota marketing men will consider what each marketing zone in the world is needing and build vehicles accordingly. Obviously not all the people will be satisfied all the time.  Life is tough at times  lol

• 4 months later...

You can calculate fuel consumption based on the quantity you buy during refuelling but the distance you apply it to is presumably based on the car instrumented distance.  My car is pretty close to the 10% overread. measured against the GPS speeds recorded on the Dashcam and an independent device.  That, to me, suggests it will give you an mpg that is too high.  I am getting a computer estimate from the App of 67 against the official figure of 63 - sounds spot on to me.

On 2/26/2020 at 9:42 AM, TheTJW said:

So Niels, the GPS Race Timer app you've used to measure acceleration is showing that you got to 30mph (50kmh) in 2 seconds - is that correct!?  That seems incredibly fast - is this accurate do you think?

Hi,

Autocar road tested the 2.0 wagon last year and 0-60 was quoted as 3.3 seconds. They test with 2 people on board and a full tank of fuel. 

You're joking right? This is propably in KM/H

1 hour ago, shufman said:

0-60 was quoted as 3.3 seconds

5 minutes ago, King Crimson said:

You're joking right? This is propably in KM/H

Nope. 0-30 mph 😊 ... 0-60 was 8.5 secs. 

sorry! Early morning. ...

That would be nice though! And still get 50 mpg 😄

• Haha 1

Just returnered from holiday. 3014 km in total, 80% on motorways. Mpg average is 56,5, which I find very satisfying. 

Best part is the 2.0. Driving up the mountains, speeds pretty low, maybe 30 mph, sharp turns etc. is handled without a sweat. Rpm's find a place around 3500, enough to get the car going and accelerating, but not loud and screeming. 

Same on the motorway. Fast overtaking, driving up hill with 75 mph, revs goes up to 3500, but rarely any higher. Of course the car car be forced to red line, but acceleration is'nt much faster, and noise much higher. 

I'm very happy with the car. Only down side is the missing Carplay or Android Auto. 

• Like 3

2Driving across Europe, I've only been using E5 fuels from major brands. Some additive is in the fuel, which we don't have in Denmark. The smell of fuel the "old school" way is very strong compared to the fuel in Denmark. 

Milage has been excellent, but back some I've been filling up with the usual E10, and just can't get the feeling of super high mpg's any more, even if I drive slower than on my holiday trip. My idea is that the extra 5%  ethanol is very bad for a Toyota hybrid. 

The extra cost of E5 vs E10 is 10% in Denmark, which makes in uattractive. 

Just changed my 1.8 for a 2.0 Corolla, my 1.8 was doing 74 MPG, not currently liking the 54 MPG. The engine is much punchier, but on over run, the car slows itself very quickly, on the 1.8 you could back off the throttle and coast a long way (approaching traffic lights for instance) You can't do that the same in the 2.0 it slows down very quickly. I am in it for the next 9 months so will just have to get used to the lower MPG :crybaby:

23 hours ago, Parts-King said:

Just changed my 1.8 for a 2.0 Corolla, my 1.8 was doing 74 MPG, not currently liking the 54 MPG. The engine is much punchier, but on over run, the car slows itself very quickly, on the 1.8 you could back off the throttle and coast a long way (approaching traffic lights for instance) You can't do that the same in the 2.0 it slows down very quickly. I am in it for the next 9 months so will just have to get used to the lower MPG :crybaby:

I doesn't feel the car slowing down. At least not "quickly". But the slowing down process, helps recharging the batterys. 

The 54 mpg will increase by up to 7-10 percent, which is very good figures for a engine that powerfull. 

Even if I was promised 20% higher mpg, I would'nt swap my 2.0 to a less powerfull 1.8. High mpg's nice, but it's not the most important factor in my mind. Driveability means more to me, relaxed driving, and still with a punch when ever I need it. 

On 7/25/2020 at 9:22 AM, Parts-King said:

You can adjust this on the fly by using the 'gear' paddles flanking the steering wheel. Click the right one to reduce the resistance and recharging or the left to increase and slow down faster, great way to slow on hill decents or in the wet as well. Just be sure to check if anyone is behind you as this will not show any break lights

I think the 1.8 has a setting on the selector to increase braking , but the 2ltr does not and the bias is towards charging, maybe to do with the bigger Battery due to the more powerful electric motor. Yes, the 2ltr is less economical, but more powerful. You can't compare with the 1.8, you have to compare with another 2ltr petrol.

My previous 2ltr ICE only was claimed to achieve 0 to 60 in 6.9 seconds, the Corolla is only a second slower, but I regularly achieve 25mpg improvement on my previous turbo. That's your comparison.

• Like 1