Sign in to follow this  
TheTJW

Corolla 2.0 - questions from a prospective buyer

Recommended Posts

None have blind spot assist which is a strange omission 

Coming from my chr to a corrolla it will be missed  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, TheTJW said:

Finally got to test drive the 2.0 litre hybrid today and was quite impressed.  It's about as fast accelerating as my Leon FR, although it does roar a bit!  The salesman told me that if I put the gear into sport and used the paddle shifters, then I could effectively change up quicker and so not rev so much, but it didn't feel like the paddles were doing much at all, as you can't feel the gears actually change, which probably makes sense as its a CVT box, so a bit confused by that.  Overall, a good comfortable drive and reasonably quick I think.  I was driving the GR sport version and was expecting it to have parking assist and blind spot monitoring, but it didn't have either of those, so does anybody know which model(s) have these, as it's not obvious from the stats online?  He also said that it's possible now to get the retro fit of Android Auto and Apple Carplay done at Halfords - is this actually the case?

If you drove a GR then it will have had Android auto & Carplay built in already, what do you mean by park assist? it would have full front and rear parking sensors and the ability to self park ( SIPA Simple intelligent park assist & ICS Intelligent clearance sonar ), no UK spec Corolla has blind spot monitors

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, TheTJW said:

... It's about as fast accelerating as my Leon FR...

What FR is yours?

Mine was FR ST 2017 1.8 TSI with DSG. Unfortunately, I cannot find my 2.0 Corolla near the acceleration of the FR. And I tested that with the new owner of the FR, not just compare the feelings from both cars. We made a drag race on an empty road and I was not able to catch with the FR. Especially in accelerations from 60-80 to 100-120. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In Denmark, only the very top spec (2.0 "H4" trim) gets blind spot monitoring and IPA. The middle spec doesn't even get parking sensors (although the once used in my 2013 Auris can be retrofitted (the ones with a very simple B&W car simple" in the display).

In Denmark, we can also get a tow-bar (although max load is 750 kg (approximately 1,500 lbs).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OXYGEN said:

What FR is yours?

Mine was FR ST 2017 1.8 TSI with DSG. Unfortunately, I cannot find my 2.0 Corolla near the acceleration of the FR. And I tested that with the new owner of the FR, not just compare the feelings from both cars. We made a drag race on an empty road and I was not able to catch with the FR. Especially in accelerations from 60-80 to 100-120. 

Hi, I've got a 2013 Leon FR, so just with 138bhp, so the slow version basically.  The 2.0 litre Corolla didn't feel slower really when accelerating, although it's quite hard to tell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

If you drove a GR then it will have had Android auto & Carplay built in already, what do you mean by park assist? it would have full front and rear parking sensors and the ability to self park ( SIPA Simple intelligent park assist & ICS Intelligent clearance sonar ), no UK spec Corolla has blind spot monitors

Hi Lee,  

I drove a used GR, so I'm guessing that the early ones didn't get Android Auto and Apple CarPlay.  What I meant my park assist was the self parking technology which most new(ish) cars seem to have these days. This was definitely missing from the GR I test drove, so am trying to ascertain which models have got this and when they started getting it, if not on the 2019 cars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, TheTJW said:

Hi, I've got a 2013 Leon FR, so just with 138bhp, so the slow version basically.  The 2.0 litre Corolla didn't feel slower really when accelerating, although it's quite hard to tell.

Thank you, then this also proves my observations. The Corolla 2.0 seems comparable with a 138bhp turbo petrol, but is nowhere near a 180bhp turbo...despite that on paper it has the same amount.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, TheTJW said:

Hi Lee,  

I drove a used GR, so I'm guessing that the early ones didn't get Android Auto and Apple CarPlay.  What I meant my park assist was the self parking technology which most new(ish) cars seem to have these days. This was definitely missing from the GR I test drove, so am trying to ascertain which models have got this and when they started getting it, if not on the 2019 cars.

All GR sports will have AA/CP as they were launched after Toyota announced the introduction of MY20 Corolla in December last year, GR deliveries only started in January 20.

All UK spec Corollas ( except Icon ) have SIPA ( self parking ) see Here and ICS see Here from 2019 Launch.

It annoys me no end when a customer ends up meeting a useless sales person that clearly knows nothing about the product they are selling both of the above are clearly specifications important to you and yet they failed to correctly inform or demonstrate them to you and as for Halfords fitting AA/CP complete and utter waffle from the salesperson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Picked up my 2.0 excel in denim blue with the pan roof. Lovely car, first impressions good. Nippy and a lovely smooth ride. Only done 13 miles so far. I came from a Kia ceed gt which was a firm ride and quick. Apple play, park assist. Lovely full leather interior. I did not expect it to be a hot hatch and it’s not. If you want a hot hatch not the car for you. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

All GR sports will have AA/CP as they were launched after Toyota announced the introduction of MY20 Corolla in December last year, GR deliveries only started in January 20.

All UK spec Corollas ( except Icon ) have SIPA ( self parking ) see Here and ICS see Here from 2019 Launch.

It annoys me no end when a customer ends up meeting a useless sales person that clearly knows nothing about the product they are selling both of the above are clearly specifications important to you and yet they failed to correctly inform or demonstrate them to you and as for Halfords fitting AA/CP complete and utter waffle from the salesperson

Hi Lee, that's really weird as the car I test drove had the GR Sport logo on the back, it was a 2019 reg and it definitely did not have the parking assist button down by the other side of the steering wheel (door side), so I'm not sure what's going on there.  Also, do you know if Toyota garages are retro-fitting the AA/CP to the early Corollas already, or is that something that's coming soon? It definitely didn't have AA/CP either!

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting, was this at a Toyota dealership or private?

 What did you think of the head up display, was it easily readable?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bruce e said:

Interesting, was this at a Toyota dealership or private?

 What did you think of the head up display, was it easily readable?

Hi, this was a Toyota dealership and it didn't have a head up display either!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hhmm! I would respectfully suggest then that you were NOT driving the new Corolla GR Sport first released in January of this year which has AA/CP, SIPA park assist and head up display as standard.

If you’re not too far from the dealers I would go back and ask some very pointed questions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, bruce e said:

What did you think of the head up display, was it easily readable?

The HUD is one of the best features in my car. I don’t know if I would like to drive a car without one anymore.

The only time I have difficulties reading it is when I drive with polarized sunglasses and the light comes at specific angle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, which models get the HUD - is it from Design upwards?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Currently GR only, according to toyota car configurator.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bruce e said:

Hhmm! I would respectfully suggest then that you were NOT driving the new Corolla GR Sport first released in January of this year which has AA/CP, SIPA park assist and head up display as standard.

If you’re not too far from the dealers I would go back and ask some very pointed questions.

Hi Bruce, when you say January of this year, do you mean 2020, or 2019 - as I test drove a used car from 2019, so maybe this has something to do with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

January. 2020

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re AA/CP Toyota making a retro fit available for pre December Corollas very soon, I believe the price qouted is £100 or £50 if done during a service

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, bruce e said:

Re AA/CP Toyota making a retro fit available for pre December Corollas very soon, I believe the price qouted is £100 or £50 if done during a service

From May.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, TheTJW said:

Hi Lee, that's really weird as the car I test drove had the GR Sport logo on the back, it was a 2019 reg and it definitely did not have the parking assist button down by the other side of the steering wheel (door side), so I'm not sure what's going on there.  Also, do you know if Toyota garages are retro-fitting the AA/CP to the early Corollas already, or is that something that's coming soon? It definitely didn't have AA/CP either!

Thanks.

Someone is playing with badges, GR was only launched in January 2020 and has HUD, AA/CP and SIPA.

Retro fit of AA/CP for 2019 Models starts in May

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/3/2020 at 7:54 AM, Roger F said:

Picked up my 2.0 excel in denim blue with the pan roof. Lovely car, first impressions good. Nippy and a lovely smooth ride. Only done 13 miles so far. I came from a Kia ceed gt which was a firm ride and quick. Apple play, park assist. Lovely full leather interior. I did not expect it to be a hot hatch and it’s not. If you want a hot hatch not the car for you. 

Enjoy! Same car as mine, except 2019 so part leather seats. Always worried the non leather but might get grubby in time, so enjoy full leather! My Saab had full leather, and all seats looked like new after 17 years, except a bit of wear on the drivers seat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went from a 220 diesel Merc to the 1.8.  Power to weight ratio is similar and I agree about the low speed torque. Did my first long run today.  Used the cruise control a lot and the acceleration was noticeably slower than the Merc.  If you want to get there a bit quicker then press the pedal.

Once in speed with the radar on it was unnatural locked in to the car in front.  It would slow right to a stop if necessary.  

That electric motor had us going through villages in its own power and even on the flat at 60.

I don't know much about other car's computer systems but I like the mix of hardware and software.

Anyway, to the OP, I think the 1.8 is good enough.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just drove up to North Wales and back to see my Dad (not because of Government advice - we'd been trying to get together for a month but storms and illness kept us apart). Anyway 401 miles, 33 litres which comes to 55 mpg which was a bit disappointing. It did include 30 miles to a local golf course and back but clearly the weather is still holding things back 😕 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

55mpg right at the moment is pretty good, it’s very windy and raining these two affect the economy a lot. If you drive 2.0 you will be probably getting around 45mpg for the same journeys. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this