Sign in to follow this  
TheTJW

Corolla 2.0 - questions from a prospective buyer

Well if it does, its still pretty cool in the cab, glad its got heated seats.

1 hour ago, AndrueC said:

I thought some Prius had a 'thermos flask' that stored coolant to keep it warm? Also don't some have motorised louvers for the radiator grill?

Yes, you are entirely correct.  The Prius 2 had the 'thermos flask' arrangement, but not for the UK market, I believe.  It increased the coolant capacity considerably.

The louvered radiator grille thingy is on all Prius gen4, although plenty of BMWs have had this type of device fitted with their 'Efficient Dynamics' package for many years, maybe others too?.

• Like 2

After watching some YouTube reviews of the Corolla, it seems that in other countries (the US for example), the app allows you to remotely start the engine and start the heater.  It seems that the UK are behind again (as usual!)

Seems to related to Toyota connected services, not seen this in the UK yet, but it seems to be a thing in the US.

https://youtu.be/xpbK6ZBhJvY

37 minutes ago, TheTJW said:

After watching some YouTube reviews of the Corolla, it seems that in other countries (the US for example), the app allows you to remotely start the engine and start the heater.  It seems that the UK are behind again (as usual!)

I don't think it's a matter of being behind. The technology to do that is hardly revolutionary. More likely Toyota UK realised that almost no-one living the UK would want or need it. We just don't get enough really cold days to justify it. The colder parts of the US and Europe, sure. You could get frost bite waiting for the car to warm up on some winter days. But the UK? You barely have enough time to start shivering before the cabin is up to temp. Adding it to the product line would just bump up the price of the vehicle and do little to nothing to help sell it.

57 minutes ago, AndrueC said:

I don't think it's a matter of being behind. The technology to do that is hardly revolutionary. More likely Toyota UK realised that almost no-one living the UK would want or need it. We just don't get enough really cold days to justify it. The colder parts of the US and Europe, sure. You could get frost bite waiting for the car to warm up on some winter days. But the UK? You barely have enough time to start shivering before the cabin is up to temp. Adding it to the product line would just bump up the price of the vehicle and do little to nothing to help sell it.

We get snow and ice during the winter (usually!), surely that's cold enough to justify having this feature!

14 minutes ago, TheTJW said:

We get snow and ice during the winter (usually!), surely that's cold enough to justify having this feature!

Maybe if you live in the far north. Temperatures in most of the UK rarely fall below -5c and then only for a few nights a year. By the time you've scraped the ice off your car you'll have warmed up and won't care if the cabin is a bit cold for a couple of minutes. It's also worth noting that running a cold engine at idle produces a lot of pollution and increases wear and tear. That is why standard advice is not to start the engine until you're ready to go and immediately drive off.

And how many people would be prepared to leave their car on the road for ten minutes with its engine running and no-one sitting in it? Not many I bet.

No I think Toyota will have assessed the UK market and quite correctly decided that it was a feature with limited appeal.

2 hours ago, AndrueC said:

(snip)

And how many people would be prepared to leave their car on the road for ten minutes with its engine running and no-one sitting in it? Not many I bet.

(Snip)

Not least because it would be illegal to do so.

I would not pay 8 dollars a month for that. My T has plenty on it for free. It's a case of creating a need for many of those options, where none existed.

In the video the boot was open but the app said it was closed. Love the Corolla, but mounting evidence that all this technology Toyota build into their cars has some way to go before it is reliable enough to rely on!  Hybrid system working, steering working, brakes working, Sat Nav working... that's mostly what we need to be reliable, the rest is work in progress.

• Like 1

I have said this before, but, every extra that you want adds a cost to the vehicle production. Add the fact there will be numerous people wanting something different to others, if Toyota built them all in to a car the cost of the vehicle would probably be more then the person wanting his/her extra are willing to pay.                           

As said above, Toyota marketing men will consider what each marketing zone in the world is needing and build vehicles accordingly. Obviously not all the people will be satisfied all the time.  Life is tough at times  lol