Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oil

oisin2222

Hi I have an auris just serviced oil and filter 225 km ago 3 days ago and oil already looking like this please can I have help 

FA13C32F-22EC-41DF-85F9-CA5E0AD9BB0A.png

Diesel, petrol or hybrid???

In my experience it doesn't take long for new oil to look like that in a diesel engine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not surprised it’s a diesel. It’s one of the characteristics of Diesel engines, they very dirty inside and of course now considered very dirty as to what comes out of the exhaust pipe.         
When you drain the oil at oil change time, you not removing every bit of oil, it’s in oil says all through the engine. So, when you put your new oil in, very quickly it mixes with the dirty old oil and turns black pretty quick.       
A petrol car is different, and the oil can look clean couple thousand miles down the road.         
Best thing you can do is buy quality oil and quality oil filters and change them no later then Toyotas schedule.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pretty standard for a diesel. Don't worry, and enjoy the car.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Next time, get your garage to run a oil cleaner through the engine. It removes any sludge thats building up. It's also good for keeping the turbo in good condition, since the oil pipes going to the turbo is pretty small, and can get blocked with sludge over time. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, nielshm said:

Next time, get your garage to run a oil cleaner through the engine. It removes any sludge thats building up. It's also good for keeping the turbo in good condition, since the oil pipes going to the turbo is pretty small, and can get blocked with sludge over time. 

I would never do this. Dislodging any sludge, which should not accumulate if using a good oil, could make things worse by blocking small oil passages/orifices etc..

Good oils, changed as specified intervals along with a good oil filter, contain additives to prevent sludging in the first place.

Garages try to sell this "oil cleaner" stuff on a commission basis, including main dealers.

Perfectly normal for a Diesel engine Oisin, I’ve had several new Corollas and always service done by Toyota dealer, drove home 20 miles, checked the oil levels and exactly like in your picture. You would think it had never been changed 🤭. Nothing to worry about 👏

1 hour ago, mrpj said:

I would never do this. Dislodging any sludge, which should not accumulate if using a good oil, could make things worse by blocking small oil passages/orifices etc..

Good oils, changed as specified intervals along with a good oil filter, contain additives to prevent sludging in the first place.

Garages try to sell this "oil cleaner" stuff on a commission basis, including main dealers.

You are right here, but if you use engine cleaners on regular basis there is almost no risks to clog oil passages because the engine remains clean , but if the car is very old and neglected maybe better do not use any engine flush at all. I use any other oil change an my engine is clean and sound. In his particular case the oil is black because it is a Diesel engine imo. 

22 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

You are right here, but if you use engine cleaners on regular basis there is almost no risks to clog oil passages because the engine remains clean , but if the car is very old and neglected maybe better do not use any engine flush at all. I use any other oil change an my engine is clean and sound. In his particular case the oil is black because it is a Diesel engine imo. 

Oil change will not remove 100% of the old oil - this mixes with new oil and even in my petrol engine it turns black after a short period of time. Flushing an old engine may result in leaks forming where the oil has been dislodged from and blocking of narrow pipes by dislodged sludge and the car can start burning oil. It may be better to do an interim service with cheap oil say after 3000 miles to get rid of more debris/sludge that the first service obviously leaves behind if you are really concerned and then replace with the quality stuff..

Nothing to worry about as it is normal for diesel oil to change colour soon after a service.

Sent from my SM-A307FN using Tapatalk

On 2/25/2020 at 12:52 PM, TonyHSD said:

You are right here, but if you use engine cleaners on regular basis there is almost no risks to clog oil passages because the engine remains clean

Oil of the correct specification and quality does that anyway. Why waste extra money on potentially harmful "snake oil". Why do you think the stuff is promoted? There is commission involved.

Anyway, all just my own opinion and practice.🙂

I've owned many Diesel engined vehicles and, back to the O.P., that's perfectly normal to see that after a very short time.

• 1 month later...

I have Auris 2.0 D4D at this moment i use 5w-40 but it wasted me too fast...6500km and it on the metal bar it dropped bellow middle. Some reccomend me to use 10w-40 for better milleage.

Any thoughs ?

To start, you are using incorrect oil weight.

If you want better mpg, you should use thinner oil, not thicker. 10W40 would give better lubrication, but worse mileage than what you have now, but it's like 1-2% maybe, tires would be more influential than that.

Your issue with oil could be just low quality and/or improper weight.

image.thumb.png.3a0cf6378ad454111f41cc2a42fe20df.png

"To start, you are using incorrect oil weight."

Do you mean viscosity? the weight of the oil has no significance. However, it will have a different weight on the Moon than it does here on Earth. It will have the same mass though.