Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Estima 2001 Engine Light and Transmission Issue

2001Estima3l

Hi all. Looking for anyone with similar experience. I have a 2001 3l V6 Estima. Since I purchased it 6 months ago it has had a recurring Engine light coming on at around 80 kms and started having trouble shifting into final gear. Took to mechanic who analysed it as me using the wrong fuel. He seemed to be correct. Since changing to 98 octane the problems initially disappeared but have returned somewhat although now the engine light does not appear all the time and not until 100 km/h. The gearbox issue remains but is far less frequent. Still annoying but and would love to resolve. Mechanic said Jap fuels are all high octane and the engine has a quite high compression ratio. Anyone with similar experiences? Please help.

Welcome...your V6 Estima should run absolutely fine on 95RON...95 IS premium fuel...it's only referred to as "standard" because that's what most peeps use.

I run mine on nothing BUT 95 and it's been fine now for 4 years...never misses a beat.

I assume the condiion and level of the ATF has been checked and is fine,.?..what mileage has it done..?

Have you had a code read done to see if there are any fault codes stored.?

Hi. Thanks for your reply. The vehicle was scanned when first purchased and came back as a lean fuel issue. This probably points towards an oxygen sensor however as I mentioned it instantly starting behaving itself once the octane rating was raised. The issue is still present but nowhere near as bad. Apparently the 3 litres compression ratio is very high. Transmission fluid is fine.

Hi there, although mines a 2.4 it had the engine light flashing the garages scanner could not read the code so I bought my own scanner. It came up as an oxygen sensor, by the time I got the scanner was about a month driving with the light flashing made now difference to the performance of the car. Don't know about the 3.0 litre perhaps the ecu is affecting the cars performance because of the fault. Definitely needs a scanner read I think. Good luck.

As attached data shows.

the 1MZ-FE engine should run fine on 95RON (premium) fuel

Tried a MAF clean..?..and a failed/failing O2 sensor should throw a fault code.

https://toyota-club.net/files/techdata/ttx/estima_30.htm

42 minutes ago, TP49 said:
40 minutes ago, RUToyota said:

Thanks for the specs. Will have to look into oxygen sensor I think and go from there

Hi there, although mines a 2.4 it had the engine light flashing the garages scanner could not read the code so I bought my own scanner. It came up as an oxygen sensor, by the time I got the scanner was about a month driving with the light flashing made now difference to the performance of the car. Don't know about the 3.0 litre perhaps the ecu is affecting the cars performance because of the fault. Definitely needs a scanner read I think. Good luck.

Thanks for that. Mechanic thought that the vehicle may be going into safe mode with Engine Light and causing gears to behaving erratically. After putting a higher octane fuel in it ran almost without fault for a couple of hundred kms so there is definitely something to look into there I think but not the entire issue.

Thanks for the specs and apologies for the mixed up entries. Will look further into it.

• 1 year later...

Hi. Thanks for your reply. The vehicle was scanned when first purchased and came back as a lean fuel issue.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links