Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Type of oil - Corolla e120 1.4 d4d 2007

andi42

Greetings there,

I am a new owner of a toyota corolla e120 1.4 d4d 90hp. I got it used, and it has 245,000 km on clock. It is in good condition and it has a maintenance book as well.

The last service was done at 240k km, and I see that they used 10w40 oil (brand not specified). I am thinking to replace the oil and filters again because the last service is over than 1 year ago.

Should I use the recommended oil type 5w30 fully synthetic? Is this the recommended oil for this kind of mileage? I don't want to make things worse trying to put a better oil there [emoji28]

Thank you in advance.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

I would use the recommended oil, as I believe Toyota know more about what oil is most suitable for their engine. 10w40 is a mineral oil which I wouldn’t use. Some people might if they’re having an engine excessively using oil. I’m sure others more expert than I will chime in with advice also.

Ok, firstly @ Bernard, 10w40 is not necessarily a mineral oil, it's available as semi- and fully synthetic too (at least in the UK).  That said, if Toyota recommend 5w30 and you're anywhere cold in the winter then that's what to use. 

Agree with others, use the Toyota recommended 5W30 Synthetic, at least every 12 months /10,000 Miles, thougth some say every 6 months / 5000 miles for hard use.

The previous owners might have used the thicker 10W40 oil due to engine wear, but once changed to 5w30 keep an eye on the dipstick level and check the exhaust for excess smoke.

I've only done 190,000 km and change the oil once a year but have never needed to top it up between services, though do check it regularly.

Other things you need to check on a car , new to you.

Gearbox oil. level or change.

Air Filter,

Fuel Filter.

Pollen Filter

Brake Fluid level  or change

Brake Pads /Discs etc

Coolant level

• Like 2

Thank you all for your answers.
I will go with 5w30 and I hope that it won't burn any oil. I will make sure to change all the filters, and check the coolant and brake fluid as well. :)
Thanks again

Aside from recommending using Toyota motor oil, Toyota only specifies the grade and the API rating - currently API SL, SM or SN. They don't specify whether oil should be synthetic or semi synthetic. 

In the UK service intervals are every 12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever occurs first In Europe, service intervals are every 12 months or 15,000km. In the US, service intervals are every 6 months or 6,000 miles. 

Good quality 5W40 would work fine as well. If you live in a very cold place 5w30 could make sense, but in most places 5W40 (fully synthetic) will serve you well. A decent 10w40 shouldn't hurt your engine. If i'm not mistaken all three indicated as possible to use on the user manual of the car. What matters most IMO is oil quality and good service interval.

Thank you all for your responses. I changed all the filters today and the engine oil.
Fuel filter - Bosch
Air filter, Oil filter, Cabin filter - Comline (these were the only ones available at the store).
Oil - Toyota engine oil 5w30, fuel economy.
I am hoping this is a genuine toyota oil though. Attached is a photo of the oil.
I will keep an eye on the oil level and hopefully it won't burn any oil, since this is thinner than 10w40.3dbdd017bee9dbeb3eebf3bb1c635fd6.jpgdecbe267264fd7dbe5ba13eea0f144f3.jpg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links