Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Catloc

KellyK

Has anyone had a catloc fitted and still have their catalytic converter stolen? Trying to decided whether to sell or get a catloc and risk it. Thanks

Of course there will be a risk, no one could say your cat won’t be targeted again. What you can do is reduce the chance of it being stolen.       
A Catloc is one protection. It would slow a thief down, and if time matters then it would put them off. What you can do is try not to park parallel to the kerb - they have easy acces both sides. Do park in between other cars side by side ie shopping car park style. More difficult access to underneath. Don’t park in n open space as in quite part of a car park. It’s just a case of making life harder for the thief’s.                          

Don’t forget all petrol cars have cats, so potentially all are targets. Toyota hybrids tend to be a target due to the amount of precious metals in them to clean up the emissions, but Toyota have apparently been reducing precious metals more recent models (advancement in technology).

By changing car how much money will you loose?  Compare that to how much it costs to replace a cat - and non Toyota cats can be much cheaper.

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately they are stolen regularly at my work car park no matter where you park.

I will loose a lot of money if I sell but am concerned about being refused insurance next year if it happens again

I mot heard anyone being refused insurance....... have you?  If not why worry.

Is your car a hybrid or just petrol?

4 minutes ago, Catlover said:

I mot heard anyone being refused insurance....... have you?  If not why worry.

Is your car a hybrid or just petrol?

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2020/feb/01/catalytic-converter-thefts-hybrid-car-insurance-toyota-prius

Hybrid

This guy had 2 cats stolen, 2nd had a Catloc.

Unfortunately, while he wasn't refused insurance, he says it became so expensive he's had to give up driving!

1 hour ago, KellyK said:

Unfortunately they are stolen regularly at my work car park no matter where you park.

I will loose a lot of money if I sell but am concerned about being refused insurance next year if it happens again

Does the car park belong to the employer, and, if so, are they doing anything about security?

Have you already had a cat stolen?

As an aside, your profile is showing your Auris as a 2020, yet the Auris ended production in the first half of 2019?

7 hours ago, PeteB said:

This guy had 2 cats stolen, 2nd had a Catloc.

Unfortunately, while he wasn't refused insurance, he says it became so expensive he's had to give up driving!

Thank you for this. Really helpful and I think that's made my mind up. Just need to decide what car to try next..

7 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Does the car park belong to the employer, and, if so, are they doing anything about security?

As an aside, your profile is showing your Auris as a 2020, yet the Auris ended production in the first half of 2019?

Sorry it's a 2010 plate I have updated my profile. 

Yes I have had my cat stolen.

Its a NHS carpark. They have "increased security walk arounds" but seems to have made little difference.

Hi Kelly, now you have a 2018 Auris...... hope you not in the Ophthalmic dept at the NHS.   lol

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

We have company owned car park with security guards by the gate, but few weeks ago a motorbike was wheeled off the car park at midday and the security did not do anything, just called the police after (they did not even show up, just gave the crime number over the phone). When the bike owner questioned why security did not intervene, they said that they will be in a lot of troubles if they do any harm to the thieves trying to stop them. Current legal systems unfortunately protects criminals more, then ordinary people trying to stop them. As for refusing insurance, two expensive claims in 12 months for the same thing will do it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links