Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Multimedia Bluetooth issue

Thornn

Hello! So I have encountered a problem I have never had before. I have had my car (second hand Toyota Yaris 2012) since about May last year?. Everything bluetooth wise has been working fine. Until today! 

Now my phone is still connected to my car and I can still use it for phone calls. However when I click Media and then try to change it to bluetooth to play Spotify, it’s not bringing up the BT page. Any ideas? I did take it to the dealership and they suggested a diagnostic check which costs £89 without the fixing of the problem included which they think could be a software update. 

I have tried resetting it, and I managed to find a way of doing a diagnostic check by holding Setup and turning the lights on and off three times, which brought up the menu but wouldn’t do anything when pressing or press and holding the INT button.

The only different I have noticed is with the profiles, on my phone profiles OPP isn’t highlighted, where as in detailed bluetooth settings OPP is selected.

Any advice greatly welcomed ^_^ worst case I will have to buy an Aux cable

(Tried to upload pictures but it won’t allow them) 

Can you see any of the bluetooth menu's ? go into the paired devices remove it, and pair it again

I take you have the early touch system (Gen 3 yaris)

2 hours ago, flash22 said:

Can you see any of the Bluetooth menu's ? go into the paired devices remove it, and pair it again

I take you have the early touch system (Gen 3 yaris)

I have tried pairing and unpairing, the dealership tried on 3 of their phones, it’s connecting to the phone for calls etc but the bluetooth option in the media selection isn’t working.

Which is why they think it’s a software issue that needs updating but I don’t fancy spending £89 to find out if it is or isn’t to then pay to get to it updated, especially when you don’t have to pay for software updates on most other things ! 😂 

I just don’t know if anyone else has experienced this before and found the issue or whether I need to suck it up and pay or just get an aux cable. 

Maybe the reason you can’t upload photos is that the resolution is too big.

Possibly, I took them on my phone so I’ll have to work out how to upload them. 

I have an iPhone, it hasn’t updated recently, but like I say it was working fine when I was driving the day of the post, but then after my day out and coming home it wasn’t working. The media icon is showing for BT, but when I click it, it just defaults back to the radio. 

silly question i take it you have restarted the phoned a few times ?

How do you mean restart the phone. As in my actually phone or setting up phones for the car? I don’t think it is anything to do with the phone as I can connect to it still to make calls through BT. But it’s just not selecting the BT option through the media section as it defaults to the radio, whereas before it would open the BT page 

Restart the phone a few times apple's BT can be a bit flaky, i have lost count the amount of time they have pushed an update and broke the BT

it may just be a A2DP/aptX profile issue

• 1 year later...

I'm experiencing the same issue with my 2012 yaris where my phone is connected through BT and is able to make/receive calls however when I press the BT option under the sources, it reverts back to the radio. This phone (android) is able to play music through BT for all other cars I've been in. I've also tried to connect multiple other phones to see if the issue is with the phones rather than the system itself, however, it seems that this is an issue with every phone I connect. 

Did you manage to resolve the issue yourself? I've been in touch with toyota and they're asking over £100 for a diagnosis and say it's probably a system update but I don't really want to dish out that money for a simple issue 

• 10 months later...

I have the exact same issue! 

Does anyone have a solution? Does updating help? 

• 5 months later...

If you still having a issue delete it from the car settings and reinstall.

Is bluetooth on you car display screen showing its connected.

Will it work if app on phone is open or can you use it via. usb cable.(without bluetooth)

Hi Derek, thank you for the response! 

I did the following steps:

1. Deleted the phone from the bluetooth option in the car, deleted the car from the bluetooth settings on the phone, Deleted the personal Data from the General settings of the car (many times, tried also with Android and iPhone)

2. Tried to run the diagnostics by holding the Set up button and press the lights 3 times. With the INIT option I checked and the Speakers work perfect with the radio on 

3. Checked the cables under the drivers and passengers sit 

After all the above I reconnected the phone and the issue was the same: the bluetooth connects and I can make and receive calls BUT when I try to play anything from Spotify or YouTube from both Android and iPhone there is no sound coming out of the car (the apps seem to play the music tho). 
Every time I click the BT button from the Sources it goes back to the Radio.

Toyota asked me 105€(!) just to run 1hr of diagnostics and extra charges might apply if they need more time or there are issues.. 

1. Deleted the phone from the Bluetooth option in the car, deleted the car from the Bluetooth settings on the phone, Deleted the personal Data from the General settings of the car (many times, tried also with Android and iPhone)

2. Tried to run the diagnostics by holding the Set up button and press the lights 3 times. With the INIT option I checked and the speakers work perfect with the radio on 

3. Checked the cables under the drivers and passengers sit 

2022 yaris as per your info ??

Have you tried a different phone ? The recent Apple update has caused a lot of BT issues

do you have sat nav ? As that makes a major difference in diagnosis

3. Checked the cables under the drivers and passengers seat

Just wondering what made you do this ??

• 8 months later...

Just changed to a yaris and having the same issue i have tried everything suggested but it is still happening, just wondering if you discovered a solution?

• 10 months later...
On 2/27/2020 at 7:42 PM, Thornn said:

Hello! So I have encountered a problem I have never had before. I have had my car (second hand Toyota Yaris 2012) since about May last year?. Everything bluetooth wise has been working fine. Until today! 

Now my phone is still connected to my car and I can still use it for phone calls. However when I click Media and then try to change it to bluetooth to play Spotify, it’s not bringing up the BT page. Any ideas? I did take it to the dealership and they suggested a diagnostic check which costs £89 without the fixing of the problem included which they think could be a software update. 

I have tried resetting it, and I managed to find a way of doing a diagnostic check by holding Setup and turning the lights on and off three times, which brought up the menu but wouldn’t do anything when pressing or press and holding the INT button.

The only different I have noticed is with the profiles, on my phone profiles OPP isn’t highlighted, where as in detailed bluetooth settings OPP is selected.

Any advice greatly welcomed ^_^ worst case I will have to buy an Aux cable

(Tried to upload pictures but it won’t allow them) 

Unmount unit remove all connectors wait 1 minute connect all agin. Worked for me

Unmount unit remove all connectors wait 1 minute connect all again. Worked for me

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links