Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brake Wheel Cylinders

angryengineer

Dear Forum,

I am seeking to purchase a pair of quality, new brake wheel cylinders for the rear axle drums-based handbrake of my 2005 Corolla 1.4 D4D.

My search online has been very disappointing (tried autodoc, Amazon, and eBay).

Would anyone recommend a UK/Europe website where they may be purchased?

What manufacturers make quality brake wheel cylinders?

Thanks for information & advice in advance.

Hi,

Bit puzzled by your post,  as far as I can see, though will stand corrected , all 2004-6 Corollas have combined rear disc / drums and the handbrake is a direct cable action, there is no brake cylinder in there, perhaps why you cannot find one ?  or do you really mean the Rear Caliper ?

51 minutes ago, oldcodger said:

Hi,

Bit puzzled by your post,  as far as I can see, though will stand corrected , all 2004-6 Corollas have combined rear disc / drums and the handbrake is a direct cable action, there is no brake cylinder in there, perhaps why you cannot find one ?  or do you really mean the Rear Caliper ?

I just assumed there was one in there...

Whats the problem, brake fluid leak ?

Handbrake adjustment is by the drum / shoe adjusters and the handbrake lever end cable adjuster.

Sounds like you are doing a bit of refurbishment  from the looks of your other posts ?

26 minutes ago, oldcodger said:

Whats the problem, brake fluid leak ?

Handbrake adjustment is by the drum / shoe adjusters and the handbrake lever end cable adjuster.

Sounds like you are doing a bit of refurbishment  from the looks of your other posts ?

Hello,

Yes, refurbishment.

I got caught before with another car (Opel Vectra) when the rear brake drums seized up while stopped at traffic lights at a very busy junction...not a good experience. Had to get the car towed to a garage.

So, I am replacing the parking brake shoes & springs etc. They have been in use for 150,000 miles now over 15 years, so I think some preventative maintenance is in order, I would guess 🙂.

Thank you for you advice, oldcodger ! Much appreciated

26 minutes ago, angryengineer said:

Hello,

Yes, refurbishment.

I got caught before with another car (Opel Vectra) when the rear brake drums seized up while stopped at traffic lights at a very busy junction...not a good experience. Had to get the car towed to a garage.

So, I am replacing the parking brake shoes & springs etc. They have been in use for 150,000 miles now over 15 years, so I think some preventative maintenance is in order, I would guess 🙂.

Thank you for you advice, oldcodger ! Much appreciated

Well that made me laugh as I tried to to a simiilar thing the other year, yet failed !

I was about to replace the disc/drum on the rears as they were looking a bit worn and the Mot was due, and like you thought the brake shoes should be replaced, though they did not look excessively worn; around 100,000 miles on the clock then.

Got them from my usual brake supplier and they all seemed identical, but I just could not get them adjusted properly, tried everything I could, but they just would not work ???

Even using the old disc/drums with the new shoes and still no good ?

Sent off for some more shoes but a different make from another supplier, but just the same   - pulling hair out now !

Had to put the old shoes and drums back on  and things ok, yet comparing the old and new parts could not see any difference.

Nearly fell though the floor when the Mot testers commented about the rear discs looking good and how the handbrake was so effective.

Still got the new discs and shoes wrapped up, do not know if I will bother with them again !

Hopefully your work with be easier !

10 minutes ago, oldcodger said:

Well that made me laugh as I tried to to a simiilar thing the other year, yet failed !

I was about to replace the disc/drum on the rears as they were looking a bit worn and the Mot was due, and like you thought the brake shoes should be replaced, though they did not look excessively worn; around 100,000 miles on the clock then.

Got them from my usual brake supplier and they all seemed identical, but I just could not get them adjusted properly, tried everything I could, but they just would not work ???

Even using the old disc/drums with the new shoes and still no good ?

Sent off for some more shoes but a different make from another supplier, but just the same   - pulling hair out now !

Had to put the old shoes and drums back on  and things ok, yet comparing the old and new parts could not see any difference.

Nearly fell though the floor when the Mot testers commented about the rear discs looking good and how the handbrake was so effective.

Still got the new discs and shoes wrapped up, do not know if I will bother with them again !

Hopefully your work with be easier !

Funny story.

My mechanic will be doing the work for me, but if I had to do it for myself I would take a picture of the layout of the inside of the drum with regard to the brake shoes, the springs, their relative length, etc. before taking it apart. But even then, I think it could still be a bit intricate.

It looks like a confusing job if you hadn't done a few of them before.