Do Not Sell My Personal Information

RSA(Road Sign Assist) Issue

Amir-Naji

I had a 80 mph sign displayed but just once dont remember what system it was on though.

(satnav or RSA)

End of motorway comes  on now and then without even been near a motorway.

30 mph sign not displayed well I join roads from side roads so it takes time for the next sign to show up usually entering a new speed limit area.

Well some of it also down to numbers af saterlight signals its picking up at one time.

Mine often mis-reads 'Smart' motorway 60 signs as 80 for some reason :laugh: 

It's how it sometimes thinks a 20 sign is a 120 sign that I can't fathom :laugh: 

Well some of it also down to numbers af saterlight signals its picking up at one time

Please explain

13 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Andrue, there is a stretch of road, A43, not far north of you that has random temporary 50 mph signs.  Most times my car does not see the start and will equally randomly decide it is a 50 zone later on.  The interval is hugely in excess of 200 m.

Interesting, it wouldn't surprise me. But it tends to confirm that the car is reacting to the signs as/when it manages to read them. I fully accept that the system is somewhat flawed (though I'd say it's pretty good most of the time) I only dispute the suggestion that it doesn't use the camera.

13 hours ago, Roy124 said:

We should challenge non compliant or inappropriate road works signs as it will only lead to ignoring them when they should really be obeyed.

We could challenge the signs on the Brackley bypass that claim the work is due to junction 'improvments'. Maybe we're going to get a road-side theatre for spontaneous comedy?

🙂

On an entirely unrelated matter why is this forum converting 'u-n-r-e-h-e-a-r-s-e-d' into 'unreheubikd'?

Fortunately (questionable) Brackley is a destination.   Sister in law and husband bought a new home overlooking open countryside to the north. 

They live towards the south of Brackley New Town 😭

And of course, all this attention to the satnav / camera speed signs your car is telling you, takes your attention off the road.....

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Fortunately (questionable) Brackley is a destination.   Sister in law and husband bought a new home overlooking open countryside to the north. 

They live towards the south of Brackley New Town 😭

Oh Brackley is quite a nice town although it remains to be seen how it changes with all the newcomers buying houses on that estate. I 'found' that estate during the first Covid lockdown when I finally had time to explore. I was shocked by the size of it.

It's ironic I suppose because I live on the western edge of Brackley and whilst my estate isn't as big as this new one it was probably of equal concern for existing residents back in the 90s when it was being built.

We did look there.   A town house opposite the pond but it went quickly and some others in the older part opposite Barratt.   SiL live next Barratt estate. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wooster said:

And of course, all this attention to the satnav / camera speed signs your car is telling you, takes your attention off the road.....

That is the biggest contradiction of the system - I once caught one of the beepy messages that flashes up for a split second telling me to pay attention to the road! Well don't distract me in the first place then you stupid computer!!

Case in point: We've had several people wonder what the urgent beeps that sometimes happens is, as they are concentrating on driving and by the time they've glanced down at the dash the message the beeps were for has already gone - Luckily because I have a HUD, the system duplicates the message (BRAKE!) on it, so I was able to convey to them that's all it was and not an intermittent fault or something... but I swear whoever designs these things needs to step back and apply some common sense...

• Like 1

Beeps or bitching Betty? 

I had a Satnav that would say,  with a German accent  "Slow down you are exceeding the speed limit".   You could tweak it to limit plus 5.

Imagine  "hold the steering wheel or I will stop steering" 

"drive forward,  do not touch the steering wheel"

"correct your line you are departing the lane" 

Mind you,  I think aviation tells us "pull up,  pull up, speed,  speed.....  thud 

That it is quite easy to ignore Betty

It's not just the car,  my microwave,  cooker,  stove top,  dishwasher,  washing machine,  house alarm,  FIRE ALARM,  all 4 of them. At random one will give a small discrete bleep warning of Battery low charge.   Never long enough to find the damn thing. 

• Like 1

So *all* the warnings, in the Mk4 at least, are beeps of different pitch and frequency, which is why they're so unbelievably unhelpful. "What? What is it?!? I'm not crashing, I haven't crossed a white line, my seatbelt is on, I'm not exceeding the speed limit, what are you beeping at me for now you infernal machine!?"   Honestly it's like being heckled by R2D2 sometimes!

I can't see them doing voice alerts for the EDM* - They do in a lot of JDM models, but the localization would be a nightmare over here as they'd have to do so many more languages and possibly dialects - That's a lot of extra storage chips!

And frankly I think I'd get upset if my Mk4 kept yelling RETARD! RETARD!** at me...

*European Domestic Market

**A slight aviation in-joke - https://youtu.be/C2YjX-_g9k8?t=480

On 8/16/2022 at 11:10 AM, AndrueC said:

Interesting, it wouldn't surprise me. But it tends to confirm that the car is reacting to the signs as/when it manages to read them. I fully accept that the system is somewhat flawed (though I'd say it's pretty good most of the time) I only dispute the suggestion that it doesn't use the camera.

I would like to know what would happen if you temporarily disabled the GPS (if you could) and see what the speed sign warnings do then... 

6 minutes ago, Tech429 said:

I would like to know what would happen if you temporarily disabled the GPS (if you could) and see what the speed sign warnings do then... 

You could try switching the speed limit display option to ON in the Navigation settings and then compare the 2 speed limit displays to see what the camera is picking up... 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tech429 said:

why would it make any difference? “Signs” are picked up from the camera behind the rear view mirror (hence why indication doesn’t change when entering from a side road until next sign appears).  Cars without gps fitted still have RSA.

15 minutes ago, Graham47 said:

why would it make any difference? “Signs” are picked up from the camera behind the rear view mirror (hence why indication doesn’t change when entering from a side road until next sign appears).  Cars without gps fitted still have RSA.

I was merely stating that I feel the RSA does not use the camera to pick up signs and majorly only picks up via GPS.

Hence why on a bypass that has a section at 50mph the speed warning indicates 50mph but when going under a bridge where no signs visible it temporarily changes to 30mph when no such sign visible for the camera to actually or feasibly pick up to change it on the dash... before changing back to 50mph sign.

Just because Toyota say it has RSA on the vehicle does not mean it actually works as created (due to obstructions, etc.) - thus GPS would be (I would hope) the secondary back-up system to indicate speed sign warnings.

Remember the emission scandal - all manufacturers were at it faking things to lower the actual emissions.

Then temporarily obstruct the camera using tape and see if RSA still functions !

You could try switching the speed limit display option to ON in the Navigation settings and then compare the 2 speed limit displays to see what the camera is picking up... 

in our almost permanent road works on the A47 there are regular 40 limits. The satnav shows the 60/70 limits the RSA shows the temporary 40. 

17 minutes ago, Ian.S said:

in our almost permanent road works on the A47 there are regular 40 limits. The satnav shows the 60/70 limits the RSA shows the temporary 40. 

Thanks, I haven't tried it yet but that confirms what I assumed it would display. 

I *think* it uses the camera primarily, but if the car has satnav and the camera isn't sure, or doesn't see any signs, it will fall-back to the speed limit the satnav has for the road you're on.

I am a bit concerned for the trolling potential as, imagine someone with a big 5 in a circle on the back of their T-shirt walking on the pavement...!:eek: 

On 8/17/2022 at 8:00 PM, Cyker said:

I *think* it uses the camera primarily, but if the car has satnav and the camera isn't sure, or doesn't see any signs, it will fall-back to the speed limit the satnav has for the road you're on.

Well my mk3 Yaris certainly doesn’t work that way, I often have a ‘blank’ display until a sign comes along to activate it again.  In fact, I particularly noted this behaviour At lunchtime.

(and I do have sat nav unit).

As I said above, easily checked by blanking (temporarily) off the camera and see if the satnav takes over, it won’t!

I was only talking about the newer cars - I didn't even know the Mk3 had the roadsign recognition!! :laugh: 

That's a bit sad as it seems like it hasn't had much development in the mean time...

I would have thought that those vehicles that have a road database would use that by default but allow the camera to override it. When you think about it that's the most sensible solution.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Graham47 said:

Well my mk3 Yaris certainly doesn’t work that way, I often have a ‘blank’ display until a sign comes along to activate it again.  In fact, I particularly noted this behaviour At lunchtime.

(and I do have sat nav unit).

As I said above, easily checked by blanking (temporarily) off the camera and see if the satnav takes over, it won’t!

My 2014 Mk2 Yaris Excel definitely had both RSA and Navigation speed limits. Are you sure that you have speed limits enabled in the Navigation settings? 

Just now, eyemdee said:

My 2014 Mk2 Yaris Excel definitely had both RSA and Navigation speed limits. Are you sure that you have speed limits enabled in the Navigation settings? 

Yes I definitely have BUT navigation is a completely different system/screen.  RSA only appears on the MID.

The only navigation that appears on the MID are directions.