Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

horn changed on a mk2 auris facelift

eygo

today i found away to change the horn on a facelift mk2 auris without removing the bumper

since the grill doesn't seem to be removed easily.

1) i removed all clips holding the plastic panel between the grill and bonnet locking plate

2) turned the panel through 90 degrees to gain access behind the grill

3) removed original horn.

4) fitted new horns

see photos below

i hope this may help others

top panel raised.jpg

horns fitted.jpg

original horn fitted.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

• 1 year later...

Don't know if you'll read this but....  When you replaced the horns, did you fit a replay?  (Two horns will draw twice the current.)  Also, which horns did you fit?

What make / model of horn did you fit?

The standard (single) horn on the 2016 Auris is embarrassingly feeble. 😳 (Its a DENSO ND-012 disc type horn). I’ve had a look at mine through the grille.

Is yours a pre-facelift? Or a post-facelift model? 

52EF059D-E873-4642-A8DF-D147AA268104.jpeg

A9E1EF82-0540-4EF4-8092-BE951565640E.jpeg

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Wooster said:

Don't know if you'll read this but....  When you replaced the horns, did you fit a replay?  (Two horns will draw twice the current.)  Also, which horns did you fit?

I changed mine with a pair of Hella for VW, they sound great and I didn't fitted any additional relay, the car has one fitted by factory and it's enough; since then I hadn't any problem...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DaddyBaddy said:

Is yours a pre-facelift? Or a post-facelift model?

Not actually bought it yet - I'm picking it up in a weeks time.  But it's a 2018 model, so post facelift.  Shouldn't think it makes any difference though, the 2018's horn was pathetic!

I have fitted mainly PIAA horns over the years, it's on my to do list for the yaris, tee hee

I can't stand a noddy horn on a car

• Like 2

On 2/28/2020 at 9:09 PM, eygo said:

today i found away to change the horn on a facelift mk2 auris without removing the bumper

since the grill doesn't seem to be removed easily.

1) i removed all clips holding the plastic panel between the grill and bonnet locking plate

2) turned the panel through 90 degrees to gain access behind the grill

3) removed original horn.

4) fitted new horns

see photos below

i hope this may help others

top panel raised.jpg

horns fitted.jpg

original horn fitted.jpg

@eygo did the new horns need any mods to the wiring or use of different connectors?

I'd like to fit one of these train horns is that legal in the UK?

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2021 at 6:18 PM, roks said:

I'm sure the train horns would be legal, but (like all compressor driven horns) they have that wheezy start, as the compressor gets up to speed.  IMHO, it's much better to have an instant-start disc horn made by Hella or Bosch

On 6/16/2021 at 6:18 PM, roks said:

Is the white thick cable in the fuse box a safe place to get power for the horn?

On 6/16/2021 at 5:18 PM, DaddyBaddy said:

@eygo did the new horns need any mods to the wiring or use of different connectors?

It depends. My 2013 Auris has only one horn so not enough juice to direct power twin tone horns. You might blow the fuses. You need a relay and power from the fuse box.

I am looking myself where to safely get the power from. I will see if I find what Amperage fuse is there by default. Most of the horns are 50-75W per piece.

On 6/16/2021 at 5:14 PM, flash22 said:

[...] it's on my to do list for the yaris, tee hee

I can't stand a noddy horn on a car

Same here. I am pretty sure we have the same, disappointing, DENSO ND-012 single horn.

My 2018 Auris had the same Denso Noddy-Car horn.  Replaced it with a pair of Hella disc horns.  Used the existing wiring and it all worked, but the Toyota wiring isn't really up to the job.  It's surprisingly thin and I'll replace it soon with something more substantial.  There is a 10Amp fuse and a relay in the horn circuit. 

• Thanks 1

A 10 amp fuse will blow at around 14 amp - the horn fuse supplies the control and feed sides, The horn switch is on the negative side a horn push is momentary so doesn't have a constant current like a blower fan, the horn relay is in the 20-30 amp range

the average horn is 3-6 amps

Electric trumpet horns or air horns pull circa 12 amps (car type ones)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Wooster said:

My 2018 Auris had the same Denso Noddy-Car horn.  Replaced it with a pair of Hella disc horns.  Used the existing wiring and it all worked, but the Toyota wiring isn't really up to the job.  It's surprisingly thin and I'll replace it soon with something more substantial.  There is a 10Amp fuse and a relay in the horn circuit. 

Yes, some Hella horns have 40-50W each and then you will be fine with two at around 7A.

But be aware that some Hella horns are 72W units and then you are in dangerous 12A area for two.

81S6wPSyw5L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The horns i fitted were "M26 Series - Disc Horn, Sound Level at 2 meters 115 dB"  And the spec says "Power Consumption 66W".  With 2 horns (132watts) at 14volts, they'll be drawing about 9.5 amps.  So i guess my horns are OK.  What concerned me more was the thickness of the Toyota horn wire.  Maybe it is 0.5mm or 1mm, but my common sense says it isn't really big enough for my new 10 amp horns. 

• Like 1

On 7/6/2021 at 6:31 PM, Fostel said:

Is the white thick cable in the fuse box a safe place to get power for the horn?

The 'thick white cable' is not somewhere I'd recommend you getting power from.  The cable is labelled at 125 Amps, so it has some serious power behind it.  If it 'blew' for any reason I'd think some damage would be caused!  Further, you'd have to get your new cable out of the fuse box - and the fuse box has a water tight seal on its lid. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Wooster said:

The 'thick white cable' is not somewhere I'd recommend you getting power from.  The cable is labelled at 125 Amps, so it has some serious power behind it.  If it 'blew' for any reason I'd think some damage would be caused!  Further, you'd have to get your new cable out of the fuse box - and the fuse box has a water tight seal on its lid. 

I will try to get some hons that would draw below 10A and use original connection.

14 hours ago, Fostel said:

some horns that would draw below 10A and use original connection.

You'll need to change the connections - all decent horns are in pairs, and you only have one connection for the 'toot-toot' original.  I bought these from Amazon earlier this year for a motorcycle.  Not the loudest but still very loud and shrill.  The Hella catalogue says they are 42 watts each.  (x 2 = 84 watts or 6 amps.)  Well within the spec of the wiring and fuse of the Auris.  (I think they are the same spec as to those fitted to the Prius.)

I know they are from the USA, but were delivered promptly and without any Customs / Vat issues.  Anyway, have a look:  amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01C8F0AUY

I am considering SEGER over HELLA

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SEGER-Trumpet-Car-Horn-Set/dp/B07PDF7GTL

According to SEGER site they are 6A each. I read some of the reviews on Amazon and surprisingly.

Working on 2003 Corolla (10A) fuse.

Blowing the fuse on 2013 Rav4 (10A fuse too)

On 7/9/2021 at 8:38 AM, Wooster said:

The Hella catalogue says they are 42 watts each.  (x 2 = 84 watts or 6 amps.)  Well within the spec of the wiring and fuse of the Auris.

If you look at the attached Hella Catalogue, page 16, and look for part number 011225802.  You'll see it says "2 x 42W" .  Which is why i said "42 watts each.  (x 2 = 84 watts or 6 amps.)  Well within the spec of the wiring and fuse of the Auris."  Without being pedantic, these will only draw a max of 6 amps when used together: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01C8F0AUY/    If you look at the Amazon page and roll down to the reviews, you'll see my review - with video - once I'd installed them on my wife's motorcycle.

Hella_Horns.pdf

• 5 months later...

Can the car be taken in to a garage and have an improved horn fitted? I am not skilled at all with cars but pressing the horn on the auris is not only embarrassing but completely pointless.

if there is an upgrade available at Toyota which is decent or if I can buy one offline and take it to a garage I’d happily do that. 

considering a horn is there to make your presence known in a time of need, these Toyota ones are far to quiet and sound like something of a child’s toy. 

B65EAA0D-EFEB-4DA9-9617-D8D5AFB52305.png

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Steven83 said:

Can the car be taken in to a garage and have an improved horn fitted? I am not skilled at all with cars but pressing the horn on the auris is not only embarrassing but completely pointless.

if there is an upgrade available at Toyota which is decent or if I can buy one offline and take it to a garage I’d happily do that. 

considering a horn is there to make your presence known in a time of need, these Toyota ones are far to quiet and sound like something of a child’s toy. 

B65EAA0D-EFEB-4DA9-9617-D8D5AFB52305.png

On my auris sometimes sounds the same funny but sometimes sounds absolutely normal, when is wet or after car wash is good not sure if the water has something to do with it. I don’t use it often and never bothered myself to change it or try to fix. 

8 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

when is wet or after car wash is good

I wonder if it just needs the nut/bolt tightened as that's probably connected to chassis ground.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links