Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Is this dummy always going to be a passenger now, even in a CR Sport! Please explain?

olddriver

Is this dummy right in thinking that all the new Corollas are now petrol hybrids, and that means that they all have auto boxes too, EVEN THE CR SPORT!!!  It seems to this dummy that all the literature is very coy about the gearbox and that it's rarely referred to, as though they want to keep it quiet!

I like driving a car, and using an auto box is NOT driving in my opinion, it's more like being a passenger!  However, I do remember about 40 years ago driving a Triumph 2000 without a clutch, but in which you could select and go through the gears, 1, 2, 3, like a normal box, do they still make auto boxes like that now?  That wouldn't be so bad!

Maybe it's a good excuse to buy a GT86, as that's one of the few conventional cars left to buy, as I can't afford the Supra and anyway from the pictures the GT86 appears to have a much bigger boot.

For the UK, the 1.2T was dropped for the 2020 range due to low sales - same for the C-HR. All Toyota hybrids are automatics - using e-CVT transmissions.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

For the UK, the 1.2T was dropped for the 2020 range due to low sales - same for the C-HR. All Toyota hybrids are automatics - using e-CVT transmissions.

☹️

Do  e-CVT transmissions have a finite life or are they as good as conventional gearboxes?

The Toyota eCVT transmissions have more in common with a conventional differential than a normal gearbox.

There are no brake bands, clutches or synchromesh rings.  No gears engage or disengage in use. The transmission is often described as having a single ratio, but whilst I can see why it is described as such, this is a little confusing when no diagrams are available to explain how it actually works.  It uses an epicyclic, or planetary, gear set to synchronise the engine, the electric motors (there are 2) and the vehicle speed.

The 'reverse gear' function exclusively uses an electric motor to move the car.  The 'box uses conventional Toyota gearbox oil.  There is no maintenance requirement in normal use, and no adjustments.

The eCVTs are very reliable, with the exception of occasional control electronics (inverter) failure on Prius gen3 transmissions (and their derivatives).

From a mechanical point of view, I think wear (in this case some bearing whine) is only evident after 150,000 to 200,000 miles, if at all.

That's my understanding of it , anyway.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This YouTube video explains the Toyota hybrid transmission, or Power Split Device as it's known, quite nicely:

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

On 3/1/2020 at 10:14 AM, olddriver said:
I like driving a car, and using an auto box is NOT driving in my opinion, it's more like being a passenger!

Hi - the 20th century called and would like its rant back.

You could always wait for the corolla GR which will be released in 2023, a 1,6 engine with a manual gearbox. Or if you dont want to wait that long go for the gr yaris which will be released in a few months, same drivetrain as the corolla.

On 3/1/2020 at 12:29 PM, MSHasan said:

This YouTube video explains the Toyota hybrid transmission, or Power Split Device as it's known, quite nicely:

Thanks, the video has convinced me that I want a conventional gearbox as it has the advantage that if it goes wrong then I can easily overhaul it, as I have done for 4 of my previous cars, but I have my doubts about being able to fix an e-CVT transmission AND if it does go wrong I expect Mr T's charges would be exorbitant.

9 hours ago, King Crimson said:

You could always wait for the corolla GR which will be released in 2023, a 1,6 engine with a manual gearbox. Or if you dont want to wait that long go for the gr yaris which will be released in a few months, same drivetrain as the corolla.

Thanks, I'm over 6 ft and never sat in a Yaris as I assumed that it would be too small, but it wasn't too bad, however I prefer the GT86 if I can't wait 3 years for the Corolla, the other thing is that Toyota could change their minds about the Corolla GR.

On 3/2/2020 at 4:10 PM, AndrueC said:

Hi - the 20th century called and would like its rant back.

So much for someone who doesn't know which century he is living in!

Faults with Toyotas e-CVT drive appears to be as rare as hens teeth. Solid as a rock.

Of course if you enjoy stripping gearboxes stick to what you know

• Like 3

2 hours ago, olddriver said:

Thanks, I'm over 6 ft and never sat in a Yaris as I assumed that it would be too small, but it wasn't too bad, however I prefer the GT86 if I can't wait 3 years for the Corolla, the other thing is that Toyota could change their minds about the Corolla GR.

Huh im 1,91cm or 6'3  myself and i didn't really thought about space to be honest, cars these days have plenty of room in the front seats. Personally i prefer the new yaris than the gt86, although the gt86 is a good car and handles really well it just doesn't have enough power. The yaris has close to 260 hp and all wheel drive and it looks really sporty with those wide arches in the back. Of course you can choose whatever you want but if the price difference between the yaris and the gt86 isn't too big then i'd go for the yaris if i were you.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, olddriver said:

So much for someone who doesn't know which century he is living in!

Oh dear. You appear not to recognise a well known joke format.

https://allthetropes.fandom.com/wiki/X_Called._They_Want_Their_Y_Back.

The joke here is that moaning about how automatic gear boxes 'are not real driving' belongs to the previous century and is not relevant here in the 2st century.

Manual gearboxes should be consigned to the same dusty boxes as manual chokes, manual wipers, manual indicators and manual throttle retardation. Technology changes over time and we have long reached the point where machines and computers can change gears better than we can. This allows us to dedicate more resources to those aspects of vehicle operation that machines cannot yet do.

Toyota's eCVT has fewer moving parts than a manual gearbox and all cogs remain fully engaged at all times. That means fewer things to go wrong and a far simpler box to disassemble and reassemble. Embrace change. Embrace better gearboxes. Embrace the futurepresent.

😉

• Like 4

4 hours ago, olddriver said:

Thanks, the video has convinced me that I want a conventional gearbox as it has the advantage that if it goes wrong then I can easily overhaul it, as I have done for 4 of my previous cars, but I have my doubts about being able to fix an e-CVT transmission AND if it does go wrong I expect Mr T's charges would be exorbitant.

Consider a Honda with their new i-MMD transmission.  It has no gearbox at all, just one clutch, one fixed gear and 2 electric motors.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AndrueC said:

Oh dear. You appear not to recognise a well known joke format.

https://allthetropes.fandom.com/wiki/X_Called._They_Want_Their_Y_Back.

The joke here is that moaning about how automatic gear boxes 'are not real driving' belongs to the previous century and is not relevant here in the 2st century.

Manual gearboxes should be consigned to the same dusty boxes as manual chokes, manual wipers, manual indicators and manual throttle retardation. Technology changes over time and we have long reached the point where machines and computers can change gears better than we can. This allows us to dedicate more resources to those aspects of vehicle operation that machines cannot yet do.

Toyota's eCVT has fewer moving parts than a manual gearbox and all cogs remain fully engaged at all times. That means fewer things to go wrong and a far simpler box to disassemble and reassemble. Embrace change. Embrace better gearboxes. Embrace the futurepresent.

😉

I was so disappointed when the salesman told me that the  man with red flag option was no longer available. So i went and bought a horse and cart.

1_bfadQJOKJmFP10CsCm5INA.gif

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, olddriver said:

If you do some research, you will find that the general view is that the CVT box is pretty reliable. We can all wreck one if we want by cheap skating on maintenance, but generally the CVT if looked after should last a while. Toyota cover 5 years anyway. I see reports of 150K miles and still going strong. And consider this. No accidental crashing of the box with poor gear change ( I prided myself with not doing this, but sometimes I did get it wrong with my old car to my embarrassment), no clutch to burn out, and the pleasure of a rapid getaway much to the annoyance of Audi drivers! That alone sells the pleasure of CVT to me.

I was a difficult convertee to CVT as well, I like to drive a car, and even now, I don't use most of the "aids" supplied as standard with this car. But I am growing to love the CVT, even if the high revving does take some getting used to until you get up to speed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, AndrueC said:

Embrace change. Embrace better gearboxes. Embrace the futurepresent.

😉

But all that doesn't make for a more engaging driving experience! 

You are missing my point, it's not about me not embracing technology, it's about the fun, the challenge and the satisfaction of getting the gear changes right for the conditions, it's not about the car, it's about the driving.  

Whatever, I've got a manual classic car that needs some work doing and therefore I don't want to lose the coordination skills required to drive a manual car.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PACorolla said:

I was so disappointed when the salesman told me that the  man with red flag option was no longer available. So i went and bought a horse and cart.

t's all about horses for courses, forgive the pun, using outmoded transport such as a bike can be useful and fun, and knowing how to drive a horse and cart can be useful too, a farmer that I knew used one to get him to the pub and back after he was banned. He reckoned that after a few trips, the horse knew the way back without instructions 😀 So don't knock a horse and cart as a means of transport it may be useful one day

• Like 1

1 hour ago, olddriver said:

You are missing my point, it's not about me not embracing technology, it's about the fun, the challenge and the satisfaction of getting the gear changes right for the conditions, it's not about the car, it's about the driving.

Perhaps you need two cars then. A old banger that you can have 'fun' driving and a new car that just gets from A to B reliably and smoothly. Personally I don't consider moving a lever around and pushing a pedal down to be 'fun'. For me that's a pointless chore that detracts from the enjoyment of driving. I get most of my enjoyment from my interaction with the outside world. Anticipating and responding to the actions of other drivers in order make smooth, safe and efficient progress toward my destination.

The fewer controls I have to operate to do that the happier I am. All I need is stop, go and steer. Anything else is a distraction.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links