Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is it ok to put a small amoiut of white spirit in the water when you wash a car?

olddriver

I seem to remember reading of a recommendation to put a small amount, a tea spoon full or egg cup full, of white spirit into the water when you wash a car to make the car shine.  I can't remember if that was the soapy water or the plain water you use to wash off the soap.  Does anyone know the actual details and is it ok?

EDIT: As Frosty says below, it was probably paraffin that was recommended, not white spirit.

Haven't heard of white spirit being used. I have heard of a small amount of paraffin being added to the the car wash solution to improve the shine. Never tried it myself.

36 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Haven't heard of white spirit being used. I have heard of a small amount of paraffin being added to the the car wash solution to improve the shine. Never tried it myself.

Yeah, the recommendation was probably for paraffin, as it was probably suggestef quite a long time ago before we started to use white spirit to clean paint brushes.  My understanding is that white spirit is a refined form of paraffin and doesn't have an oily appearance.  Mr G00GLE is not a lot of help, partly because it appears that the Americans definition of paraffin is different to ours.

• 5 months later...

imagine it would leave smears on the glass etc 

plenty of modern products you put a cap full in the final rinse and leaves a shine , such as demon shine