Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota auris 1.33 vvti

Driver768

Hello, 

I have a Toyota auris 09 vvti. Recently the check engine light has come on. There is nothing obviously wrong with the car and am hoping for advice on troubleshooting.

The stop start has not worked since the check engine light has appeared not sure if this is intended or a symptom of the fault.

I am suffering from exact same problem for over 2 months now. Check Engine is usually linked to "O2 sensor" in my case- took it to garage and they found some issues with sensor and replaced. I then noticed high oil consumption so been told by someone here that its a common fault with these 2009 models. When oil is circulated it does not come back hence loss of engine oil as per what I read and O2 sensor picks this up obviously. Still suffering no fix yet.

Yeah I was betting on a sensor fault but due to the price of sensors I was hoping to avoid replacement. I have also noticed the same with oil consumption.

So is the fix a small black sticker ? 😉

Unfortunately no fix so black sticker will do lol. I replaced two o2 sensors as per garage instriuctions wasted over £250 with service etc. Read here ans now keeping a engine oil bottle with me all the time lol usually it needs a top up every 4 weeks. Unfortunately no fix for me cannot sell either as i bought 2nd hand and person who sold it to me didnt tell me this problem. I am thinking about living with it now until i can afford another car. 

Just out of intrest do you know where reverse sensor switch is as my reverse sensors also stopped working out if nowhere. 😭😭

The reverse sensors were dealer fit. There should be a small on/off switch either on the boot lining adjacent to where the reversing light is or just inside the access flap for the rear lights. The switch may have been accidentally knocked into the off position.

Oil consumption is sadly a thing on 1.33 due to bad design. Piston rings get stuck over time and due to this are not so effective on wiping the oil off of cylinder walls in a downwards stroke.

You can try some product which is intended for this, to try to get them unstuck, sadly the actual fix is costly as it requires talking the engine apart.

You can check this topic below, as it's the same issue and OP is trying to fix it.

https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/192116-2007-avensis-24-high-oil-consumption/

Mine is burning oil at around 2.5 to 3 litres per 6.5k miles currently although fortunately no other issues at this time.

The OP mentions the stop/start not working. Mine has been pretty much that way for several years, sometimes (usually in warmer weather) it will have a run of working and then stop again for days at a time. I noticed that it always works (to begin with) if I first give the Battery a small trickle charge before initially starting and that it also always works for a few times in a journey if I manually stop and restart the engine at times when the stop start should cut in.

Its not faulty faulty (as in hardware fault) but just flawed design and bad software/firmware implementation. I'm still on the original Battery.

The oil consumption I've given up all hope on, all I do now is occasionally extend the revs when I get the chance often taking the revs right up to jut below where the limiter would cut in. I'm using 5W/30 oil and tbh it drives better than ever and MPG is no worse.  

• 2 weeks later...

So may have work the issue out, or at least for my car. I used a OBD2 tester and got the following.

O2 sensor Signal biased/ stuck rich. Bank 1 sensor 1.P2196 I noticed that my air intake was loose and that my air filter needed replacing. I cleared the fault with the tester and I am now at around 100 miles with no reoccurrence. No idea on the oil, but as many have said seems to be an issue in general (says Google), one to monitor for myself

On 3/1/2020 at 5:42 PM, bluedove said:

Unfortunately no fix so black sticker will do lol. I replaced two o2 sensors as per garage instriuctions wasted over £250 with service etc. Read here ans now keeping a engine oil bottle with me all the time lol usually it needs a top up every 4 weeks. Unfortunately no fix for me cannot sell either as i bought 2nd hand and person who sold it to me didnt tell me this problem. I am thinking about living with it now until i can afford another car. 

Will it pass MOT if a light is on on the dash?

Black sticker is not going to work unfortunately. The MOT test requires the lamp to illuminate then go out.

You can try to find a place that will overlook the light, for a small fee, i presume those exist..

I once has an intermittent issue with such sensor with my old car, found a shop that would fit a used one for a small price, and they had them in stock.

Only after the 4th one was fitted, the light went out. Since they should be good for 100k when new, and i dont drive much, i figured it should be fine, lasted around 4 years, then i sold the car.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links