Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cold start issues 2006 avensis (not glow plugs)

avensis2006d4d

2006 Toyota avensis D4D

Car has a lot of problems starting in cold weather. Sometimes can take up to 3 attempts, cranks for about 5 seconds then goes flat. Then when i do start it i have to step on the throttle. 

I recently changed all the glow plugs so pretty sure it's not that.

Any ideas would be much appreciated

I had exactly the same issue on my Avensis with 2ad engine,

I went through 2 bottles of injection cleaners and havent had the same issue since then

So my tip would be to start with that

Skickat från min SM-G950F via Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

There is a trick of pouring some hot water over the suction control valve on the high pressure fuel pump and seeing if it starts better. Could be the SCV is tired.

Что бы исключить воздух в топливе и непроницаемость топливной системы, перед началом закачки топлива помпу прокачки на топливном фильтре. Должно быть там такое. Топливо возможно для ночных отпусков.  Replace a fuel filter.

The question of sensor of temperature of cooling liquid of engine is yet possible. It is good to look a scintiscanner his temperature at a cold engine. And yet question, on the new candles of incandescence is tension given? A simple relay costs there, near the fuel filter of small box. Is a safety device whole?

On 3/3/2020 at 3:56 PM, paul9 said:

There is a trick of pouring some hot water over the suction control valve on the high pressure fuel pump and seeing if it starts better. Could be the SCV is tired.

Can you send the photo of the location? Also how hot water should be ?? 

On 3/2/2020 at 6:48 PM, avensis2006d4d said:

2006 Toyota avensis D4D

Car has a lot of problems starting in cold weather. Sometimes can take up to 3 attempts, cranks for about 5 seconds then goes flat. Then when i do start it i have to step on the throttle. 

I recently changed all the glow plugs so pretty sure it's not that.

Any ideas would be much appreciated

SCV suction control valve replace ut now toyota had a rsb a while back for this problem however it was not a recall as far as im aware the tsb involved reprogramming of the scv to rectify the problem uf not then replacement us onky option im afraud i had this problem like you i changed my pkugs fuel filter the lit to no avail ebded up being SCV now it starts in minus 5 or lower in the mornings furst tip id replace this first n go from there 

19 hours ago, James_Delahunt said:

SCV suction control valve replace ut now toyota had a rsb a while back for this problem however it was not a recall as far as im aware the tsb involved reprogramming of the scv to rectify the problem uf not then replacement us onky option im afraud i had this problem like you i changed my pkugs fuel filter the lit to no avail ebded up being SCV now it starts in minus 5 or lower in the mornings furst tip id replace this first n go from there 

Close there is a TSB which includes a newly designed SCV and updated software for the engine ECU

On 3/8/2020 at 5:49 AM, Toyota avensis d4d 2.0 said:

Can you send the photo of the location? Also how hot water should be ?? 

Sorry but I just sold the Avensis, but there are some guides and posts with pictures of the SCV. I used kettle hot water at probably around eighty Celsius, but if your hot tap will give you a jugful at around sixty degrees, I would imagine that would be fine and you would be less likely to burn sheets of skin from your body if you have an accident. Take it from me that squirting liquids at high temperatures on yourself really hurts, and for quite some time.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links