Do Not Sell My Personal Information

RAV4 XA40 Nav upgrade

damian01211

Hi guys,

I've recently purchased a RAV4 from 2017. It's an Irish LUNA grade. It does have an build in Touch 2 system without the GO system. 

I'm quite happy with the purchase in fairness but I'm thinking of getting that nav module. I was quoted 800 euro by a dealer for it but I've been told that its not worth it and I'll be better off buying a separate GPS like TomTom. I was thinking of purchasing that module on my own, plenty of them on the internet. Won't have a problem mounting it in. 

My question is, is it worth it? I can get it for like 200 euro. Does it has to be from RAV4? They all state that it will work in RAV4/Corolla/Yaris/Avensis no matter what. In fairness they all look the same on the pictures. They only problem I can find is that the module only comes in with 2 cable to connect to head unit. So I've presume I'll have to find a GPS antenna to install it properly. 

Or if its not worth the hassle and money will the mirrorlink work without the go module? I have a smashed phone that I know is supporting mirrorlink but I need to know if the Touch 2 without Go supports mirrorlink before I fix it. 

I fitted this unit to my Yaris and it works pretty well. You will find that you will need to pay more to do a map upgrade. The three year updates is about the best value for money. The unit should come with a gps aerial. Perhaps if you ask for that as well, they more than likely have it . If you look on the Toyota.eu site, there are instructions of exactly how to fit and where to position the aerial. I think at the time I payed £400 for a brand new unit. Very easy to fit and works well. I also upgraded the radio to give me dab and I am wondering if I get a radio out of a 2019/20 car, will I be able to get CarPlay. That would be nice.

About mirrorlink, the connection seems to be very basic for mirrorlink and CarPlay. Barely gets messages from your phone, so don’t think it will give you much. Address etc. Not much beyond that.

Did you purchase it from the dealer or on eBay? I can't find the box itself on the eBay or probably I'm not putting the correct words to find it.

400 pounds isn't too bad, good price I'd say. I'll give it a try so, might as well get the A/V option too it. I have the DAB option but the coverage of it around my area is just bad.. No use to it. Also hows the map updates going? Are they up to date or are they behind?

Thanks for the help. I've presume its just plug & play.